    Thanks
    --
    I am not running for office and I approve of this message.

    Chuck, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Chuck

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > I visit some websites that won't work with Firefox. I'm able to access the
    > sites through the IE extension, but I'd like to use Firefox if possible.
    > Are there any means to request "improvements" in FF to ensure compatibility?
    > Even though I'm able to view the site with only a right click, I want to
    > eliminate the use of IE completely, if possible.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ask the website creator to follow standards, or if they are, quit using
    proprietary MS coding. If the site is using standard code, then you
    should have no problem seeing it with FF or any other browser.

    Do you mean you are able to view the site using FF after changing the
    user agent? Or are you using a different extension?

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    .BRIAN., Aug 2, 2004

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    > Ask the website creator to follow standards, or if they are, quit using
    > proprietary MS coding. If the site is using standard code, then you
    > should have no problem seeing it with FF or any other browser.

    I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to make requests to the webmaster. It's
    a MLS listing site, and it looks like a little applet runs that FF doesn't
    like or recognize.

    > Do you mean you are able to view the site using FF after changing the
    > user agent? Or are you using a different extension?

    I have an extension that allows me to right click my mouse and choose to
    view the page in IE. It opens up an IE window and the website and apps run
    fine under it.

    Chuck, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Chuck

    Chaos Master Guest

    FATAL: panic at Chuck, line 666, address :
    > I visit some websites that won't work with Firefox. I'm able to access the
    > sites through the IE extension, but I'd like to use Firefox if possible.
    > Are there any means to request "improvements" in FF to ensure compatibility?
    > Even though I'm able to view the site with only a right click, I want to
    > eliminate the use of IE completely, if possible.

    Show the sites to the developers, via Bugzilla.

    []s
    --
    Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
    MSN: http://marreka.no-ip.com

    Chaos Master, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Chuck

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > FATAL: panic at Chuck, line 666, address :
    >
    >>I visit some websites that won't work with Firefox. I'm able to access the
    >>sites through the IE extension, but I'd like to use Firefox if possible.
    >>Are there any means to request "improvements" in FF to ensure compatibility?
    >>Even though I'm able to view the site with only a right click, I want to
    >>eliminate the use of IE completely, if possible.

    > Show the sites to the developers, via Bugzilla.
    >
    > []s

    The problem is not with Mozilla. Good luck posting your "bug".

    .BRIAN., Aug 3, 2004
  7. Chuck

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    >>Ask the website creator to follow standards, or if they are, quit using
    >>proprietary MS coding. If the site is using standard code, then you
    >>should have no problem seeing it with FF or any other browser.

    > I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to make requests to the webmaster. It's
    > a MLS listing site, and it looks like a little applet runs that FF doesn't
    > like or recognize.
    >

    >>Do you mean you are able to view the site using FF after changing the
    >>user agent? Or are you using a different extension?

    > I have an extension that allows me to right click my mouse and choose to
    > view the page in IE. It opens up an IE window and the website and apps run
    > fine under it.

    Perhaps you can post a link to the site, and someone here can tell you
    why the page doesn't render correctly in a standards compliant browser.
    Or maybe the problem is on your end, and it will work for us.

    .BRIAN., Aug 3, 2004
  8. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    > >>I visit some websites that won't work with Firefox. I'm able to access
    the
    > >>sites through the IE extension, but I'd like to use Firefox if possible.
    > >>Are there any means to request "improvements" in FF to ensure

    compatibility?
    > >>Even though I'm able to view the site with only a right click, I want to
    > >>eliminate the use of IE completely, if possible.

    > > Show the sites to the developers, via Bugzilla.

    > The problem is not with Mozilla. Good luck posting your "bug".

    I never said it was a bug. If I knew what caused it, I wouldn't be posting
    here.

    I've been using FF for about 2 months and love it. The site in question is
    a MLS listing site that requires membership and a password. I can't post
    it. After logging on, a little applet starts that allows me to search for
    specific properties. The applet will not load using FF, only loads with IE.
    I just find it frustrating

    Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I wouldn't know how to ask or even
    approach the webmaster of the site in question to determine why FF won't
    work.

    Chuck, Aug 3, 2004
  9. Chuck

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > the

    > compatibility?

    >>>Show the sites to the developers, via Bugzilla.

    >>The problem is not with Mozilla. Good luck posting your "bug".

    > I never said it was a bug. If I knew what caused it, I wouldn't be posting
    > here.
    >
    > I've been using FF for about 2 months and love it. The site in question is
    > a MLS listing site that requires membership and a password. I can't post
    > it. After logging on, a little applet starts that allows me to search for
    > specific properties. The applet will not load using FF, only loads with IE.
    > I just find it frustrating
    >
    > Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I wouldn't know how to ask or even
    > approach the webmaster of the site in question to determine why FF won't
    > work.

    Do you have problems with Java on other sites? Do you have Java installed?

    .BRIAN., Aug 4, 2004
  10. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    > Do you have problems with Java on other sites? Do you have Java
    installed?

    Actually, I do have problems with a few other sites, but I'm not sure if it
    is Java related. I don't have a specific extension that I know of installed
    in FF, but I do have a Java Plug In icon in my control panel. I don't think
    I had that before, it got installed after FF did. I assumed that was the
    plug in that FF required.

    Is there a extension I need to view Java pages that I might not have?

    Chuck, Aug 4, 2004
  11. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    > Do you have problems with Java on other sites? Do you have Java
    installed?

    It might be an Active X problem, not Java. I'm checking the website in
    question now.

    Chuck, Aug 4, 2004
  12. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I found a spot on the website in question to "Check System Settings". I
    ran it for IE ( which works fine on the site ) and got a message saying I
    needed to change/enable ActiveX settings in IE. Not sure why, it seems to
    work fine as is.

    I ran it using FF 0.9.2 and got "This page is only comnpliant with Internet
    Explorer 4.0 and above...." with a link to d/l the latest version of IE.

    So........Am I correct to assume that the page was written specifically for
    IE? Or is it sloppy coding, as anything compliant with IE 4.0 or better
    should also work with FF?

    Chuck, Aug 4, 2004
  13. Chuck wrote:

    > I found a spot on the website in question to "Check System Settings". I
    > ran it for IE ( which works fine on the site ) and got a message saying I
    > needed to change/enable ActiveX settings in IE. Not sure why, it seems to
    > work fine as is.
    >
    > I ran it using FF 0.9.2 and got "This page is only comnpliant with Internet
    > Explorer 4.0 and above...." with a link to d/l the latest version of IE.
    >
    > So........Am I correct to assume that the page was written specifically for
    > IE? Or is it sloppy coding, as anything compliant with IE 4.0 or better
    > should also work with FF?

    Well, to get past that message, you can try spoofing the UA as IE. I
    suspect the problem is deeper then that, but give a try as a troubleshooter.

    Not sloppy coding, lazy is more like it. The web designer in question
    simply can't be bothered to update his outdated web site, or to preview
    his creation in browsers other thn IE. You can write him/her, and point
    out the problem. IF you like, say that you prefer to use another
    browser due to IE's many security issues, and cite some of the many
    online articles to that effect.

    Oh, and you might want to leave out my "lazy" part. ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Aug 4, 2004
  14. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    > Well, to get past that message, you can try spoofing the UA as IE. I
    > suspect the problem is deeper then that, but give a try as a

    troubleshooter.

    Sounds good, but what is the UA and how do I spoof it to give it a try?

    > Not sloppy coding, lazy is more like it. The web designer in question
    > simply can't be bothered to update his outdated web site, or to preview
    > his creation in browsers other thn IE. You can write him/her, and point
    > out the problem. IF you like, say that you prefer to use another
    > browser due to IE's many security issues, and cite some of the many
    > online articles to that effect.

    As mentioned in previous posts, I wasn't sure whether it was acceptable to
    contact the web designer.

    > Oh, and you might want to leave out my "lazy" part. ;)

    Fat chance. I'm gonna specifically tell them that you called them lazy.
    That oughta get results.

    Chuck, Aug 4, 2004
  15. Chuck wrote:

    >>Well, to get past that message, you can try spoofing the UA as IE. I
    >>suspect the problem is deeper then that, but give a try as a

    > troubleshooter.
    >
    > Sounds good, but what is the UA and how do I spoof it to give it a try?
    >

    >>Not sloppy coding, lazy is more like it. The web designer in question
    >>simply can't be bothered to update his outdated web site, or to preview
    >>his creation in browsers other thn IE. You can write him/her, and point
    >>out the problem. IF you like, say that you prefer to use another
    >>browser due to IE's many security issues, and cite some of the many
    >>online articles to that effect.

    > As mentioned in previous posts, I wasn't sure whether it was acceptable to
    > contact the web designer.

    Absolutely, though he/she may well just ignore you. Its a big part of
    Mozilla Evangelism:

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/site/

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/users.html

    >>Oh, and you might want to leave out my "lazy" part. ;)

    > Fat chance. I'm gonna specifically tell them that you called them lazy.
    > That oughta get results.

    Yeah, that will scare the living heck out of them!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Aug 4, 2004
  16. Chuck

    Troy Young Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > Chaos Master wrote:

    >> Show the sites to the developers, via Bugzilla.
    >>
    >> []s

    > The problem is not with Mozilla. Good luck posting your "bug".

    Actually, Brian, I think what Chaos Master was getting at is that there
    is a section within Bugzilla for Tech Evangelism type issues in which
    you can list websites which are not working for FF. I think what then
    happens is others will try the sites out, determine what the issue is
    and get in touch with the web administrator to suggest a fix. Of course,
    the choice is still up to the webmaster as to whether or not he wants to
    develop a site that is compatible with all browsers or if he wants to
    continue supporting only one part of the market (IE). A part which, if
    things go well, may continue shrinking in the near future as more and
    more people discover the Firefox experience. ;-)

    --
    People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it.
    J. Troy Young's Place - http://www.geocities.com/troy1of2/

    Troy Young, Aug 7, 2004