    alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,

    jowah
    Jowah, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Jowah

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/12/2004 6:46 PM Jowah wrote:
    > Hey Everybody,
    >
    > Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    > with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    > alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    > nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,

    Are they in yEnc encoding?

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Jowah

    Splibbilla Guest

    Jowah <> in news:%K4vd.29277$:

    > Hey Everybody,
    >
    > Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    > with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    > alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    > nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >
    > jowah

    un/encoding problem maybe??

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.3, all profiles GoogleBar, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar,
    usually java off, js on. trying out PrefBar v. 2.3.1, build date 20041003
    Splibbilla, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Jowah

    Avalanche Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:46:03 GMT, Jowah <>
    wrote:

    >Hey Everybody,
    >
    >Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    >with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    > nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >
    >jowah

    No offense, but for years I've heard ng complaints.

    I've used Free Agent since 1996. Always and still works great and is
    easy. Binaries fine. If you get it from http://forte.com , you get
    Agent for 60 days, defaulting to Free Agent if you don't buy
    Agent...which supposedly has more features which I've never missed.

    I don't know why anyone uses browser ng's. I never messed with
    Netscape mail or ng's or, certainly, with MS. The only question is
    what's on your ISP news server.

    Brad
    Avalanche, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    :: BRIAN :: wrote:
    > On 12/12/2004 6:46 PM Jowah wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Everybody,
    >>
    >> Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in
    >> newsgroups with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >> alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block
    >> of nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,

    > Are they in yEnc encoding?
    >
    >> jowah

    I'm not sure. Here is a sample from the end of one of the blocks (the
    blocks are usually about 20 pages long).

    MYV]O/TF\SGG>14[7_P#ST?Y_TK)W7_G?Q7?Z9DZ:)I-3PD((;L33\UO/!$1
    M+\N,?TIOPO\`XQ^U6FJ]FJ)%#I:QPW;@9Y^4FHNH:p'NNA,.FX/ZBNX__-/6
    M=UW_`.O1_G^U+UQUK[7$SEYX7@G"[<;U`]*O846XBZ>=T;C.0:HM(^5O_P`)
    M6@LOF?\`]]3C=J4PI@T6Y5$YZ@.1G_OWIY9K6\F$F=K)55J7_P!>7[?Z5U!_
    MY3_`+]*N]AQ]2,%TT$T9,.<J1ZTHMX9L3F'I*QP.>],ZA_CI]JF7W_E;/\`
    M']J;W@?LUFMI]H7$'I7<T[1.!)*I3.>!VIR7_P`D?Q5/?_*?L*L%B6A:472@
    M$]B:;AUAM/NWEMX-SD]ZXM?_`";_`&IB'YI*@HI;N]U+59RJ$*YSR>,U90Z4
    M\4Z2R*N[U8>M-6G_`)C_`.R-:>?_`,M^!4B(<DL:Q="0XW\*?K4B.V%NJ!1N
    MW#S9/>J_4/GM_P#W"K>Y[0?^T5J>U9_5$#3B.<#I^@]JMH;*-84$+$ICWK.>
    4)/\`S,7_`'[5I=/_`/)1_:J/_]F>
    `
    end
    Jowah, Dec 13, 2004
  6. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:
    > Jowah <> in news:%K4vd.29277$:
    >

    >>Hey Everybody,
    >>
    >>Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    >>with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >>alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    >> nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>jowah
    >>

    > un/encoding problem maybe??

    Could be. I'm not sure if this is relevent, but I had the same problem
    when I used OE.
    Jowah, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    Avalanche wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:46:03 GMT, Jowah <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey Everybody,
    >>
    >>Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    >>with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >>alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    >> nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>jowah

    > No offense, but for years I've heard ng complaints.
    >
    > I've used Free Agent since 1996. Always and still works great and is
    > easy. Binaries fine. If you get it from http://forte.com , you get
    > Agent for 60 days, defaulting to Free Agent if you don't buy
    > Agent...which supposedly has more features which I've never missed.
    >
    > I don't know why anyone uses browser ng's. I never messed with
    > Netscape mail or ng's or, certainly, with MS. The only question is
    > what's on your ISP news server.
    >
    > Brad

    Do you mean what type of software are they running? I am not sure. I
    am using roadrunner. news-server.satx.rr.com
    Jowah, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Jowah <> wrote:

    >I'm not sure. Here is a sample from the end of one of the blocks (the
    >blocks are usually about 20 pages long).
    >
    >M\4Z2R*N[U8>M-6G_`)C_`.R-:>?_`,M^!4B(<DL:Q="0XW\*?K4B.V%NJ!1N
    >MW#S9/>J_4/GM_P#W"K>Y[0?^T5J>U9_5$#3B.<#I^@]JMH;*-84$+$ICWK.>
    >4)/\`S,7_`'[5I=/_`/)1_:J/_]F>
    >`
    >end

    That is the end of a UUEncoded file. The beginning of the file will
    look something like:

    begin 664 airplane.jpg
    M4$L#!!0``@`(`/4=BS'P8&HLI9<``,Z7```)````<V%N=&$N:G!G5/ICD*Y-

    etc, etc, for about 20 pages.

    Put them all together and you have a binary (meaning just about
    anything other than human readable text).

    When the binaries are large, they get split over several messages. So
    you will see messages like:

    My Whiz-bang Airplane airplane.jpg (1/2)
    My Whiz-bang Airplane airplane.jpg (2/2)

    If you pick the first one, Thunderbird should be able to join and
    uudecode the file without you ever knowing it. If you choose the
    second one, the newsreader will not be able to decode it, so it will
    show you the portion of the encoded message.
    Frederic Banaszak, Dec 13, 2004
  9. Jowah

    avalanche Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:59:50 GMT, Jowah <>
    wrote:

    >Avalanche wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:46:03 GMT, Jowah <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey Everybody,
    >>>
    >>>Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    >>>with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >>>alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    >>> nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>>jowah

    >> No offense, but for years I've heard ng complaints.
    >>
    >> I've used Free Agent since 1996. Always and still works great and is
    >> easy. Binaries fine. If you get it from http://forte.com , you get
    >> Agent for 60 days, defaulting to Free Agent if you don't buy
    >> Agent...which supposedly has more features which I've never missed.
    >>
    >> I don't know why anyone uses browser ng's. I never messed with
    >> Netscape mail or ng's or, certainly, with MS. The only question is
    >> what's on your ISP news server.
    >>
    >> Brad

    >Do you mean what type of software are they running? I am not sure. I
    >am using roadrunner. news-server.satx.rr.com

    No. Just which ng's they carry on their news server. I think they may
    vary in which and how many they carry...there were over 40,000 ng's
    years ago...who knows how many now. Tho many are empty, and/or were
    set up for grudges or in the idiot spirit of the moment.
    avalanche, Dec 13, 2004
  10. Jowah

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/12/2004 10:12 PM Avalanche wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:46:03 GMT, Jowah <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey Everybody,
    >>
    >>Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in newsgroups
    >>with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >>alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block of
    >> nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>jowah

    > No offense, but for years I've heard ng complaints.
    >
    > I've used Free Agent since 1996. Always and still works great and is
    > easy. Binaries fine. If you get it from http://forte.com , you get
    > Agent for 60 days, defaulting to Free Agent if you don't buy
    > Agent...which supposedly has more features which I've never missed.
    >
    > I don't know why anyone uses browser ng's. I never messed with
    > Netscape mail or ng's or, certainly, with MS. The only question is
    > what's on your ISP news server.
    >
    > Brad

    Because I don't like Agent? Because TB does everything *I* need it to
    do? I've tried Agent before, I don't even like the way it looks.
    Anyway, that's why there are choices <g>. You'll usually find the most
    complaints and/or problems with a particular product when you are in its
    related newsgroup. I'm sure you'll see more complaints about Agent over
    on the news:alt.offline-reader.forte-agent newsgroup <g>.

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Jowah

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/12/2004 10:57 PM Jowah wrote:
    > Splibbilla wrote:
    >
    >> Jowah <> in
    >>

    >>> Hey Everybody,
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody else have a problem with looking at pictures in
    >>> newsgroups with Thunderbird? I am constantly looking at pictures in
    >>> alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, and sometimes they come up as a block
    >>> of nonsensical text characters. Any ideas? thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>> jowah
    >>>

    >> un/encoding problem maybe??
    >>

    > Could be. I'm not sure if this is relevent, but I had the same problem
    > when I used OE.

    If it's happening in OE too, then I'd say they are encoded in yEnc.
    Many binary group posters will add "yEnc" to the title letting you know
    that it uses yEnc encoding.

    See: [http://www.yenc.org] Try one of the decoding or stand alone viewer
    programs and see if that is your problem. Or if you do a lot of binary
    newsgroup viewing, consider using a news client that reads yEnc. I
    don't think TB is the best reader to use with binary groups; I'd use
    something like BNR2 for that.

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    avalanche wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:59:50 GMT, Jowah <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Avalanche wrote:

    >>>No offense, but for years I've heard ng complaints.
    >>>
    >>>I've used Free Agent since 1996. Always and still works great and is
    >>>easy. Binaries fine. If you get it from http://forte.com , you get
    >>>Agent for 60 days, defaulting to Free Agent if you don't buy
    >>>Agent...which supposedly has more features which I've never missed.
    >>>
    >>>I don't know why anyone uses browser ng's. I never messed with
    >>>Netscape mail or ng's or, certainly, with MS. The only question is
    >>>what's on your ISP news server.
    >>>
    >>>Brad

    >>Do you mean what type of software are they running? I am not sure. I
    >>am using roadrunner. news-server.satx.rr.com

    > No. Just which ng's they carry on their news server. I think they may
    > vary in which and how many they carry...there were over 40,000 ng's
    > years ago...who knows how many now. Tho many are empty, and/or were
    > set up for grudges or in the idiot spirit of the moment.

    They carry several thousand ng's, though i couldnt find an accurate count.
    Jowah, Dec 14, 2004