    very low. Last time I bought a digital camera was in June 2002. At
    that time I bought an Olympus c-4040 with f1.8-2.6 lens. There must be
    better cameras available now? With thanks.
    zxcvar, Feb 15, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    Paige Miller Guest

    On Stardate 2/14/2004 10:45 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
    typed at zxcvar's keyboard...

    > Greetings! What are the cameras [non DSLR] available for low light
    > photography at the present moment? I would like to take pictures of
    > the school functions in a school auditoriums where the lighting is
    > very low. Last time I bought a digital camera was in June 2002. At
    > that time I bought an Olympus c-4040 with f1.8-2.6 lens. There must be
    > better cameras available now? With thanks.

    The funny thing about concerts and plays in school auditoriums is that
    there is a spotlight on the performers. At least, where my kids attend
    school, that's the case. It's not really a low light situation. No flash
    needed. And so my Kodak DX6490 works just fine at my son's concerts and
    plays. A low res example of such a photo is here:

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/100_1778.jpg

    Warning: your auditoriums may have more or less light.

    Now, for situations without a spotlight, such as basketball, volleyball,
    etc. the lighting at gymnasiums in my area is at the border of what the
    camera can do. With the ISO 400 setting, I still can't really set the
    shutter fast enough to get good action shots most of the time. When the
    action slows down somewhat I get action shots, but they are grainy. But
    I doubt that any consumer non DSLR will work any better.

    --
    Paige Miller
    pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
    Paige Miller, Feb 15, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:38:51 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Paige Miller
    <> wrote:

    >Now, for situations without a spotlight, such as basketball, volleyball,
    >etc. the lighting at gymnasiums in my area is at the border of what the
    >camera can do. With the ISO 400 setting, I still can't really set the
    >shutter fast enough to get good action shots most of the time. When the
    >action slows down somewhat I get action shots, but they are grainy. But
    >I doubt that any consumer non DSLR will work any better.

    For high ISO noise problems take a look at programs such as Noise Ninja and
    NeatImage. I use the latter.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Feb 15, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    Christian Guest

    zxcvar wrote:

    > Greetings! What are the cameras [non DSLR] available for low light
    > photography at the present moment? I would like to take pictures of
    > the school functions in a school auditoriums where the lighting is
    > very low. Last time I bought a digital camera was in June 2002. At
    > that time I bought an Olympus c-4040 with f1.8-2.6 lens. There must be
    > better cameras available now? With thanks.

    Is there a reason why you don't want an SLR? I any case, I would be looking
    for something with a fast lens and low noise. Will you be sitting close to
    the front? If not then maybe you should consider something like the
    Minolta A1/A2 which both have built in image stabilisation.
    Christian, Feb 16, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    zxcvar Guest

    Thanks for your reply. Good picture. Please check your Exif data and
    let me know what was the ISO, shutter speed and f stop & whether flash
    was used in that partcular picture.

    zxcvar, Feb 16, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    zxcvar Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I know DSLR will be the right choice. It is the
    expense.I can not afford a DSLR now. I used to take similar pictures
    with Pentax 135 f2.8 and Provia slide film pushed to 1600 ASA. But I
    have sold all my film equipments. I am hoping the price of DSLR will
    come down and then buy one.

    zxcvar, Feb 16, 2004