    Having spent a lot on the new machine my wallet is empty for the next few
    months

    Help!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Have Dice <> wrote:
    > Hi !
    > having built a new AMD64 I've installed the operating system and come
    > across my 1st problem I cannot install my USB ADSL driver for my modem
    >
    > Unable to install please contact Customer Support @ AOL
    >
    > The modem works fine on my older machine which is using XP Pro
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how set up a generic USB ADSL modem
    > or is the non compatiblity problem worse than that
    >
    > Having spent a lot on the new machine my wallet is empty for the next
    > few months
    >
    > Help!!!

    Well, I'm gonna tell you 2 things you're not going to like:

    Stay away from AOL, use a regular provider
    Buy a good ethernet adsl modem and forget about USB Modem. As far as I know,
    you'll not find any 64bit drivers for USB Modem so far.

    Sorry, it doesn't help you at all.

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 11, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    Gary MCSE Guest

    You've got a double whammy...
    AOL will not work 64 bit, (as far as I have been able), some say they were
    able to get a new version to work though.
    Then theres the USB issue.
    Have you loaded all the drivers from the mainboards cd?
    Perhaps there are updated 64 bit drivers at the manufacturers website.

    I am using Bellsouth as my primary ISP having and AOL by TCP/IP.
    32 bit still works fine, using 9.0 SE
    On 64 bit, I am using something called AOL Explorer.
    Looks just like AOL, some differences though.
    It wraps itself around IE to give the appearance of AOL.

    Gary MCSE, Jun 11, 2005
  4. There aren't any USB ADSL modem drivers available at this time, and I haven't
    heard any rumours of one on the horizon, though I suppose they'll come along
    eventually. But, frankly, a USB modem is a bad idea, for a whole variety of
    reasons. Your best bet is replace the USB modem with a regular Ethernet
    connected ADSL modem, or better yet a combination modem and gateway.. These
    aren't expensive, though they aren't generally free, either, I'm afraid.
    Several manufacturers have good models that are widely available. The other
    alternative is to hook up the modem to your older computer and use internet
    connection sharing to use that computer as the gateway for the rest of the
    network.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 11, 2005
  5. I can only find modem with intel chipset _ _537EP works.
    WHY?
    Its the only chipset with the above have driver for win64xp drive
    --
    JC

    =?Utf-8?B?SkM=?=, Jun 14, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    warpsix Guest

    I think the key here is the message "Unable to install please contact
    Customer Support @ AOL" .and as we know aol does not work with windows
    xp professional x64 edition at all.
    when my wife or son want to get on aol I have to reboot into the xp
    32bit edition.

    warpsix, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Which is why I told you to abandon your USB ADSL modem. Get a plain old
    ethernet modem, you can then hook it up to a DSL or Wireless "Gateway"
    product (a router, ultimately) and not care. You then don't need any drivers
    to connect.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 14, 2005

  8. > Which is why I told you to abandon your USB ADSL modem. Get a plain old
    > ethernet modem,

    Better yet, just use your onboard NIC. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 14, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    warpsix Guest

    Wayne Wastier wrote:
    >>Which is why I told you to abandon your USB ADSL modem. Get a plain old
    >>ethernet modem,

    > Better yet, just use your onboard NIC. :)

    but if he is using AOL it won't help even with bring your own access, no
    dice

    warpsix, Jun 14, 2005
  10. "warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
    > Wayne Wastier wrote:
    >>>Which is why I told you to abandon your USB ADSL modem. Get a plain old
    >>>ethernet modem,

    >> Better yet, just use your onboard NIC. :)
    >>

    > but if he is using AOL it won't help even with bring your own access, no
    > dice

    Who in their right mind uses AOL? ;o)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 14, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    How many in their right mind visit this site? :) Only people I know who
    stick with AOL are chat room addicts. Know where there is and Aol
    Anonymous?

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2005
  12. "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > How many in their right mind visit this site? :) Only people I know
    > who stick with AOL are chat room addicts. Know where there is and Aol
    > Anonymous?

    LOL. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 14, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    warpsix Guest

    Wayne Wastier wrote:
    > "warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message

    >>>Better yet, just use your onboard NIC. :)
    >>>

    >>but if he is using AOL it won't help even with bring your own access, no
    >>dice

    > Who in their right mind uses AOL? ;o)

    I never said my wife had a "right mind" but $10.00 a month to have aol
    keeps her happy and off my back.:).
    And I do not mind dual booting . To top it off my xp is better then hers
    because that trash is not in this system

    warpsix, Jun 15, 2005

  14. >>
    >> Who in their right mind uses AOL? ;o)

    > I never said my wife had a "right mind" but $10.00 a month to have aol
    > keeps her happy and off my back.:).

    ROFLOL. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 15, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSBEaWNl?=

    warpsix Guest

    you are right about the chat room addicts.we outgrew that years ago
    but when the wife goes to keyword cnn she gets a lot more video than
    when I go to CNN.com and some other magazine sites are better for her
    I am not defending the AOL bloatware that clogs your operating system.
    just don't criticize all of the 20 million people that use it .
    there are a few hundred of us that know what we are doing.

    warpsix, Jun 15, 2005
  16. "warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
    > you are right about the chat room addicts.we outgrew that years ago
    > but when the wife goes to keyword cnn she gets a lot more video than when
    > I go to CNN.com and some other magazine sites are better for her
    > I am not defending the AOL bloatware that clogs your operating system.
    > just don't criticize all of the 20 million people that use it .
    > there are a few hundred of us that know what we are doing.

    No way would I do that. She is your better half, right? LOL. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 15, 2005