    like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    something with a small format / fewer nozzels.
    lasitter, Aug 17, 2005

  2. lasitter

    lasitter Guest

    A note: Just looked on the Red River site and they've added the ICC
    profile for the i9900 ...
    lasitter, Aug 17, 2005

  3. lasitter

    Charles Guest

    On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <> wrote:

    >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    >buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    >just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    >My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    >drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    >use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    >color with the Epson.
    >
    >I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    >like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    >finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    >something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    I've 0only had trouble with my 1270 about three times, once where I
    had to do something other than just run the cleaning program. I leave
    it turned on all the time, but maybe run a print sesion once a month.

    At my mom's house we have an HP that gets left for months at a time,
    turned off, that has never shown a clogging problem.
    Charles, Aug 17, 2005
  4. lasitter

    Jim Townsend Guest

    lasitter wrote:

    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    With HP printers, the print heads are incorporated into the ink
    cartridges. When you install a new cartridge, you're also
    installing a new print head.

    The only bad thing about this is the cartridges are expensive.

    I've got an old DeskJet 952 that I've had for about 3 years.
    I've never had a clog.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 17, 2005
  5. lasitter

    Guest

    >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up.

    I have a Epson 1200 sitting in my basement ready to go in the trash
    just because of this. I don't have the time or patience to mess around
    with purging the clogged print heads with warm distilled water. I'm
    never going to buy another Epson product for as long as I live, I am so
    disappointed with this printer. I ran more cleaning cycles than actual
    prints.

    I bought a Canon Pixma 5000 about 4 months ago. It doesn't do large
    format (larger than 8x10, anyway) -- but for the few times I need that
    I'll go to the print shop at the mall, or send out.

    The Canon is awesome... true borderless 4x6 prints with no perforated
    edges to tear off...full duplexing for when the kids have to print
    their book reports...almost bizarre low ink consumption...the photos
    come out looking just as good or better than any of the Fuji minilab
    print places I've used.

    No problems or issues with either the software or driver on Windows
    XP...just follow their install directions and it seems fine.

    -Chris
    , Aug 17, 2005
  6. lasitter

    Pete R Guest

    "lasitter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    We've had our Epson R800 for almost a year and haven't
    had a single clog so far. Unlike our old Stylus Color 800.
    Pete R, Aug 17, 2005
  7. lasitter

    lasitter Guest

    > The Canon is awesome ... true borderless 4x6 prints with no
    > perforated edges to tear off ... full duplexing for when the kids
    > have to print their book reports ... almost bizarre low ink
    > consumption ... the photos come out looking just as good or better
    > than any of the Fuji minilab print places I've used.

    So how has the color fidelity been with the Canon? That's the other
    concern I've seen voiced.
    lasitter, Aug 17, 2005
  8. lasitter

    Colin D Guest

    lasitter wrote:

    > > The Canon is awesome ... true borderless 4x6 prints with no
    > > perforated edges to tear off ... full duplexing for when the kids
    > > have to print their book reports ... almost bizarre low ink
    > > consumption ... the photos come out looking just as good or better
    > > than any of the Fuji minilab print places I've used.

    > So how has the color fidelity been with the Canon? That's the other
    > concern I've seen voiced.

    I have the Canon i9950 (the version with the CD-printing feature but
    otherwise identical) and do quite a lot of A4 and the odd A3 prints.
    The print quality is awesome, I can't see any difference between its
    prints and Frontier 8x12's. Everyone, camera club types included, are
    amazed the prints are from an inkjet.

    Color accuracy is excellent, and proof of this is the absolutely neutral
    blacks when printing a monochrome image. It has 8 tanks, two each of
    cyan and magenta, and yellow, red, green, and black. It can accommodate
    sRGB and AdobeRGB color gamuts. You need to get your color handling
    right, but it's not too hard to do. There has been criticism of the ICC
    profiles supplied for Canon paper, and I have found the profile for
    Canon matte paper to be not so hot, but the glossy is very good, and of
    course other papers supply their own profiles generally.

    Lastly, its quiet, and fast, like a high quality 8x10 or A4 in about two
    minutes. After my Epson taking about 8 minutes for the same size, it's
    fantastic.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Aug 17, 2005
  9. lasitter

    Ben Thomas Guest

    lasitter wrote:

    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    The Canon i9900 is a great printer, but may not work well with non-Canon paper
    because it prints very fast and needs the paper to absorb the ink quickly.
    This was my experience with HP and Ilford paper in my Canon i9950 but you have
    to look closely with the naked eye to see the problem. YMMV.

    Ben Thomas - Melbourne, Australia
    The essentials: Kodak DX6490, Nikon D70, Canon i9950, Pioneer DVR-109,
    Hitachi W37-PD2100, DGTEC 2000A, Harmon/Kardon AVR4500, Denon DVD-2800,
    Whatmough Synergy, Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm LifeDrive.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.
    Ben Thomas, Aug 18, 2005
  10. lasitter

    Mark B. Guest

    "lasitter" <> wrote in message
    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    My Epson 870 can sit for weeks between printing w/o clogging up.

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 18, 2005
  11. lasitter

    Stacey Guest

    lasitter wrote:

    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    I'm using an i9900 and also have had a 8200 since they came out (uses the
    same type ink) and have NEVER had a clog, even if the printer sat for
    months unused.

    The problem with the i9900 isn't the driver, it's the profiles and the
    manufacturing tolerances of the print heads. To get a GOOD output, you will
    need to get a custom profile made for the printer for the paper you plan to
    use. Ilford classic pearl looks great and I used Cathy's profiles to make a
    perfect profile for the sample I have on my desk for $40. Couple this with
    Qimage and you'll be in love with the output. The other bonus is the canon
    brand inks seem VERY consistant from tank to tank so replacing inks doesn't
    cause color shifts like I've read some other printers do. I'm also
    impressed with the number of prints per ink tank. Hope this helps.
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Aug 18, 2005
  12. lasitter

    Bigguy Guest

    I'll second that - Canon iP5000 is a superb printer; fast, quiet and
    excellent quality.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Aug 18, 2005
  13. lasitter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ben Thomas wrote:
    > lasitter wrote:
    >
    >> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    >> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    >> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    >> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >>
    >> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    >> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    >> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    >> color with the Epson.
    >>
    >> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    >> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    >> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    >> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.
    >>

    > The Canon i9900 is a great printer, but may not work well with non-Canon
    > paper because it prints very fast and needs the paper to absorb the ink
    > quickly.
    > This was my experience with HP and Ilford paper in my Canon i9950 but
    > you have to look closely with the naked eye to see the problem. YMMV.

    Many of the new printers are designed so that the ink and paper are a
    'system', and the papers need to be compatible with the inks. It is
    probably best to use the papers recommended by the printer manufacturer,
    or be ready to experiment a bit.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Aug 18, 2005
  14. lasitter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > lasitter wrote:
    >
    >> I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    >> with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    >> buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    >> just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >>
    >> My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    >> drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    >> use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    >> color with the Epson.
    >>
    >> I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    >> like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    >> finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    >> something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    > I'm using an i9900 and also have had a 8200 since they came out (uses the
    > same type ink) and have NEVER had a clog, even if the printer sat for
    > months unused.
    >
    > The problem with the i9900 isn't the driver, it's the profiles and the
    > manufacturing tolerances of the print heads. To get a GOOD output, you will
    > need to get a custom profile made for the printer for the paper you plan to
    > use. Ilford classic pearl looks great and I used Cathy's profiles to make a
    > perfect profile for the sample I have on my desk for $40. Couple this with
    > Qimage and you'll be in love with the output. The other bonus is the canon
    > brand inks seem VERY consistant from tank to tank so replacing inks doesn't
    > cause color shifts like I've read some other printers do. I'm also
    > impressed with the number of prints per ink tank. Hope this helps.

    Much of the problem with inkjets clogging is caused by the user turning
    the printer off from a power strip, and keeping the head from parking.
    Also, after periods of disuse, some printers will automatically run a
    head cleaning process,but if they are turned off, this won't happen.
    I rarely use my printer, so my wife uses it from time to time to balance
    ink use, which keeps mine ready to go when I need it.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Aug 18, 2005
  15. lasitter

    Iain Laskey Guest

    In article <>,
    (lasitter) wrote:

    > *From:* "lasitter" <>
    > *Date:* 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700
    >
    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up.

    Did you use Epson inks or third party? The latter usually causes far more
    problems. All my clogging problems went away (more or less) when I
    switched to Epson's own brand inks.

    Iain
    Iain Laskey, Aug 18, 2005
  16. lasitter

    SimonLW Guest

    "lasitter" <> wrote in message
    > I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.
    >
    > My first thought is something from Canon, but I've read that their
    > drivers aren't the best. Dye-sub is appealing, but I'd really like to
    > use my supply of Red River papers, and it wasn't hard to get pleasing
    > color with the Epson.
    >
    > I have large format papers (and rolls that could be cut) for something
    > like the i9900, and the price is not a problem, but I don't know how
    > finicky the printer is, and whether I should just "punt" and use
    > something with a small format / fewer nozzels.

    I have an Epson stylus 6 ink photo printer I bought a couple years ago. I
    always turn it off with the power button that is on the unit. I have to
    battle the damn thing just to get the heads unclogged. I have to unplug the
    ribbon cables and remove screws to take out the head to clean it if the
    cleaning cycles do not work. I must waste half the ink on cleaning cycles!
    When the ink ran out, I stopped using it.
    -S
    SimonLW, Aug 18, 2005
  17. lasitter

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Much of the problem with inkjets clogging is caused by the user turning
    > the printer off from a power strip, and keeping the head from parking.
    > Also, after periods of disuse, some printers will automatically run a
    > head cleaning process,but if they are turned off, this won't happen.
    > I rarely use my printer, so my wife uses it from time to time to balance
    > ink use, which keeps mine ready to go when I need it.

    I've heard about this, but the manual on my Canon S9000 made no mention
    of it. I now have a clogged print head. Does anyone know if Canon
    printers will self clean if plugged into outlet rather than switched
    power strip? Mine is plugged into strip at moment, but it would be easy
    enough to move plug.

    Also, my Canon manual makes no mention of changing printheads. Does
    anyone know if they are replaceable by owner, or is it a pretty tricky
    operation?
    Don Stauffer, Aug 18, 2005
  18. lasitter

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <> wrote:

    >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    >buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    >just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.

    It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
    questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
    printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
    I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
    a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
    worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :)
    Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
    other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
    I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
    clogs.
    Just a thought.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 18, 2005
  19. lasitter

    Pete R Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 17 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0700, "lasitter" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I've just given away my Epson 1270 because I could no longer put up
    > >with the grief of a printer that constantly clogs up. I don't want to
    > >buy a printer that you have to fire up (and waste ink) every few days
    > >just to keep it from drying out, so I've sworn of buying another Epson.

    > It seems to me (not just reading the answers here, but also from past
    > questions like this) that a common thread is cloging after leaving he
    > printer sitting unused for long periods of time; say, a month or more.
    > I have had several Epsons (I currently use an R300), and I don't have
    > a clogging problem. I recently went on a 3-week vacation, and it
    > worked right the first time; maybe 3 weeks isn't enough time? :)
    > Anyway, maybe just a light use (a small photo on plain paper) every
    > other week, just to get the ink flowing, will keep them from clogging;
    > I usually print more often that that, and, like I say, I don't get
    > clogs.
    > Just a thought.

    There are several common threads among people who have clogging
    problems with Epson printers:

    -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
    with third-party inks;

    -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
    environments with low relative humidity;

    -- They use a power strip, wall switch etc to turn off their printers,
    which prevents the printers from engaging its head seal.
    Pete R, Aug 18, 2005
  20. lasitter

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Pete R wrote:

    I had an Epson Photo 700 that had clogging issues.

    > There are several common threads among people who have clogging
    > problems with Epson printers:
    >
    > -- They use third-party cartridges, and/or refill Epson's cartridges
    > with third-party inks;

    Not me.

    > -- They live in areas with low relative humidity, or use the printers in
    > environments with low relative humidity;

    I think that's the main cause of the problem.

    Ben Thomas, Aug 18, 2005