    I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
    just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

    Help, Anyone?
    tomviolin, Apr 3, 2005

  2. tomviolin

    Burt Guest

    I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
    with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
    photo paper does well with canon inks as well, and the Epson matte double
    sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
    print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
    all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
    pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
    paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
    notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
    i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
    mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.

    Burt, Apr 3, 2005

  3. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    I have tried Canon Photo Paper Pro, Surething, and Office Depot paper
    printing the same professional photograph supplied by Adobe. Office
    Depot was ok. Surething was good but the Canon Photo Paper Pro was just
    superb. The Canon paper was like glass and the Surething should some
    texture.

    I also have but have not tried Costco Kirkland Glossy photo paper. I
    have not spent any effort on determining who makes it but it is made in
    Switzerland and Ilford has a plant there as well. It may be Ilford
    Gallerie Paper. I hear it is good.

    I also heard that people are having trouble with Kodak paper when using
    Canon printers.

    measekite, Apr 3, 2005
  4. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    Burt wrote:

    >I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
    >with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
    >photo paper does well with canon inks as well

    While Canon Tech support claims that Canon Photo Paper Pro is superior
    they too told me in writing that Epson Paper produces good results with
    Canon Printers using OEM ink.

    measekite, Apr 3, 2005
  5. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    tomviolin wrote:

    >I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
    >
    >Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
    >Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
    >store brands like Office Max photo paper?

    Do not use Kodak. Ilford it is said is good. People with Canon
    printers have also used Costco/Kirkland made in Switzerland glossy.
    That may be made by Ilford also located in Switzerland for some of its
    production.

    >I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
    >variety than, say, HP.

    While expensive, Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best I have seen so far.

    measekite, Apr 4, 2005
  6. tomviolin

    ssnazzy9 Guest

    I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
    and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
    use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
    eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers. I read about
    it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.

    ssnazzy9, Apr 5, 2005
  7. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    ssnazzy9 wrote:

    >I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
    >and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
    >use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
    >eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers.

    What Canon papers are you referring to. Canon Photo Paper Pro is their
    top of the line. They also make a cheaper Photo Paper Plus.

    measekite, Apr 5, 2005
  8. tomviolin

    Patrick Guest

    > Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
    > Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
    > store brands like Office Max photo paper?
    >
    > I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
    > variety than, say, HP.
    >
    > I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
    > just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

    I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
    the IP5000.

    Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.

    Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
    Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
    as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
    gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
    print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
    resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
    running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
    you'd never know it had been near water.)
    I don't buy direct from them as I can get it cheaper from a re-seller (here
    in the uk).

    I'm not sure where you are but here is a link for Folex main site that tells
    you all about the paper and what formets they do.

    http://www.folex.com/

    Hope this helps,

    Patrick
    Patrick, Apr 5, 2005
  9. I've had good results using OfficeMax papers (both glossy and matte) on
    a Pixma iP4000. Haven't tried Ilford.

    Bruce Coryell, Apr 5, 2005
  10. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    Patrick wrote:

    >>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
    >>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
    >>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
    >>
    >>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
    >>variety than, say, HP.
    >>
    >>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
    >>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
    >>

    >I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
    >the IP5000.
    >
    >Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.
    >
    >Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
    >Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
    >as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
    >gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
    >print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
    >resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
    >running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
    >you'd never know it had been near water.)

    Does Print Guard dull the gloss?

    measekite, Apr 5, 2005
  11. tomviolin

    Patrick Guest

    dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
    > >resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
    > >running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
    > >you'd never know it had been near water.)
    > >

    > Does Print Guard dull the gloss?

    Not in the slightest
    Patrick, Apr 5, 2005
  12. I use the Hammermill Jetprint on my Pixma i8500. I think it is a little bit
    better to the same as Canon Pro, and about half the price. I only use the
    Canon inks (8 cartridges). The Jetprint is usually only available in 8.5x11,
    which is perfect for me. Staples usually carries Jetprint.

    Shoot well!

    Rick \(Saga 35\), Apr 5, 2005
  13. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    Rick (Saga 35) wrote:

    >I use the Hammermill Jetprint on my Pixma i8500. I think it is a little bit
    >better to the same as Canon Pro, and about half the price. I only use the
    >Canon inks (8 cartridges). The Jetprint is usually only available in 8.5x11,
    >which is perfect for me. Staples usually carries Jetprint.

    First JetPrint 24# is not photo paper but inkjetpaper. I use it all of
    the time but now I can't. I went to Office Depot and Staples and it was
    not there. I then contacted International Paper, the parent company of
    Hamermill. Unfortunately, they decided it was not selling enough and
    discontinued. I went around with them telling them that it was by far
    the best paper, the smoothest paper, and the brightest white. They
    still discontinued it.

    Maybe you might have bought the last of it. I wish I knew where to get
    some of the left overs.

    measekite, Apr 5, 2005
  14. tomviolin

    Ben Thomas Guest

    tomviolin wrote:
    > I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
    > Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
    > store brands like Office Max photo paper?
    >
    > I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
    > variety than, say, HP.
    >
    > I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
    > just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
    >
    > Help, Anyone?

    HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because the ink
    doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.

    Ben
    Ben Thomas, Apr 6, 2005
  15. tomviolin

    Jim Shaffer Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:30:16 GMT, Ben Thomas <>
    wrote:

    >HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because the ink
    >doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.

    How about Epson papers? I'm probably going to buy a Canon printer
    when my old slow Epson finishes its current cartridges, and I'll have
    some Epson Heavyweight Matte and a little Epson Glossy Photo left.
    Jim Shaffer, Apr 6, 2005
  16. tomviolin

    Burt Guest

    They work just fine in my Canon i960. Beautiful prints. You can also buy
    Epson double sided matte for reasonably good two sided printing. Glossy
    paper prints just have more color intensity and "snap"

    Burt, Apr 6, 2005
  17. tomviolin

    measekite Guest

    Canon Tech Support, in writing, said the while they feel Canon Photo
    Paper Pro performs best they would also recommend Epson Glossy Photo
    paper as well. They also said that HP and Kodak paper did not produce
    good results.

    measekite, Apr 6, 2005
  18. tomviolin

    Jerry Chaney Guest

    >"tomviolin" <> wrote in message
    >> I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
    >> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
    >> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
    >>
    >> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
    >> variety than, say, HP.
    >>
    >> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
    >> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
    >>
    >> Help, Anyone?

    I don't have that particular model printer, but I do have a Canon
    ip4000 model. I have used papers from www.freephotopaper.com that work
    every bit as good as the Canon paper, at a much lower cost.

    Jerry Chaney
    Jerry Chaney, Apr 6, 2005
  19. tomviolin

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Tom,

    Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is incorporated
    into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
    their website. Please visit

    http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If you
    go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on Printer
    Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use the
    suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
    results.

    The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
    latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
    software. Of course, all of this is free.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Apr 6, 2005
  20. tomviolin

    Patrick Guest

    "Ronald Baird" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings Tom,
    >
    > Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is incorporated
    > into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
    > their website. Please visit
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch
    >
    > These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If you
    > go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on Printer
    > Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use the
    > suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
    > results.
    >
    > The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
    > latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
    > software. Of course, all of this is free.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for your input into this thread. I don't know if it's official or
    unofficial your input on behalf of Kodak, but it's welcome. It's a shame
    other manufacturer don't contribute.

    I would like to ask one question though. I have used many brands of paper,
    not all covered in my previous post as some were cheap and cheerful and
    other were specific to here in the uk.
    All brands I've tried required some fine tuning of the printer settings to
    achieve correct results. I've just gone through about 20/30 sheets of Folex
    stock printing out a GretagMacbeth colour chart with embedded sRGB colour
    space (Yes my monitor is calibrated to 2.2 also. There
    was nothing really wrong with the results on default settings, but they
    didn't quite match what I saw on my monitor and as I manipulate my images
    its important to know what I'm seeing on the screen will be printed. So I
    know that all paper requires some tweaking.
    However Kodak paper I've used in the past required much more than just
    tweaking. On default setting the whole image would have a pink cast,
    brightness and contrast way off.
    Why does it appear as if Kodak paper requires more adjustment to printer
    settings than other brands?

    Please don't take this question the wrong way - I'm no expert - just and
    enthusiastic amateur.

    Kind Regards,
    Patrick
    Patrick, Apr 6, 2005