Non-Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by pokee@shaw.ca, May 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I recently bought 16x9 widescreen TV. I have a little over 100
    "Widescreen/Letterbox" DVDs. Most of them look awesome on my TV
    (either anamorphic or enhanced for 16x9 TVs), but....about 45 of them
    do not mention "Anamorphic" or "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs" on the package
    description.

    For example, I have Armaggeddon Criterion collection, Lost in Space,
    the Abyss Special Edition, Godzilla (Emmerich version), Close
    Encounters, Spiderman (Toby Maguire), Starship Troopers, The Thing
    (Kurt Russell), Stargate, Something About Mary - to name several. They
    all just say "Widescreen" or "Letterbox". I could go through and check
    them all on my TV, but it would take a while. I already checked a few
    of them to discover they are not formatted properly, so I fear it's the
    same for the rest of these. Can anyone confirm?

    The DVDs I did check that aren't described as "anamorphic" all look
    horrible on my 16x9 TV (in 4:3 mode, it's a small letterbox within the
    4:3 frame AND in 16:9 the image is stretched out horizontally with the
    black bars on top and bottom).

    I don't have a zoom mode (bare bones 16x9 TV, so I only have two
    viewing modes - 4:3 & 16:9), so I don't have the choice to zoom in. Is
    this a viable option for most people when watching Widescreen DVDs that
    aren't formatted for 16x9 TVs?

    Thanks,
    Paula
    , May 9, 2006

  2. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > For example, I have Armaggeddon Criterion collection,

    Non-anamorphic

    > Lost in Space,

    Anmorphic

    > the Abyss Special Edition,

    Non-anamorphic

    > Godzilla (Emmerich version),

    Anamorphic

    > Close
    > Encounters,

    Anamorphic

    > Spiderman (Toby Maguire),

    All releases - Anamorphic

    > Starship Troopers,

    All releases - Anamorphic

    > The Thing
    > (Kurt Russell),

    Original release - Non-anamorphic
    Collector's Edition - Anamorphic

    > Stargate,

    Original release - Non-anamorphic
    Ultimate Edition - Anamorphic

    > Something About Mary

    Original release - Non-anamorphic
    Collector's Edition - Anamorphic

    > to name several. They
    > all just say "Widescreen" or "Letterbox". I could go through and
    > check
    > them all on my TV, but it would take a while.

    Bookmark this site:

    http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3

    Look up the movie title and search for reviews of the DVD that will tell
    you whether it's anamoprhic or non-anamorphic.
    Joshua Zyber, May 9, 2006

  3. Aphelion Guest

    > I don't have a zoom mode (bare bones 16x9 TV, so I only have two
    > viewing modes - 4:3 & 16:9), so I don't have the choice to zoom in. Is
    > this a viable option for most people when watching Widescreen DVDs that
    > aren't formatted for 16x9 TVs?

    Unless you can access the service menu on your TV and unlock some more zooms
    (my Philips had about three additional zoom types turned off in the service
    menu), your only hope is a DVD player that will "shrink" the image so that
    your TV's widescreen mode will stretch out the non-anamorphic image and make
    it appear normal.

    Aphelion
    Aphelion, May 9, 2006
  4. On 8 May 2006 17:41:06 -0700, wrote:

    >I recently bought 16x9 widescreen TV. I have a little over 100
    >"Widescreen/Letterbox" DVDs. Most of them look awesome on my TV
    >(either anamorphic or enhanced for 16x9 TVs)

    There's no difference between 'Enhanced for 16:9 TVs' and
    'anamorphic', just different terminology for the same thing. The
    former is supposed to be a less techy and more understandable name,
    that's all.

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
    Steve Roberts, May 9, 2006
  5. Bill's News Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently bought 16x9 widescreen TV. I have a little over 100
    > "Widescreen/Letterbox" DVDs. Most of them look awesome on my TV
    > (either anamorphic or enhanced for 16x9 TVs), but....about 45 of
    > them
    > do not mention "Anamorphic" or "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs" on the
    > package
    > description.
    >
    > For example, I have Armaggeddon Criterion collection, Lost in
    > Space,
    > the Abyss Special Edition, Godzilla (Emmerich version), Close
    > Encounters, Spiderman (Toby Maguire), Starship Troopers, The Thing
    > (Kurt Russell), Stargate, Something About Mary - to name several.
    > They all just say "Widescreen" or "Letterbox". I could go through
    > and check them all on my TV, but it would take a while. I already
    > checked a few of them to discover they are not formatted properly,
    > so
    > I fear it's the same for the rest of these. Can anyone confirm?
    >
    > The DVDs I did check that aren't described as "anamorphic" all look
    > horrible on my 16x9 TV (in 4:3 mode, it's a small letterbox within
    > the
    > 4:3 frame AND in 16:9 the image is stretched out horizontally with
    > the
    > black bars on top and bottom).
    >
    > I don't have a zoom mode (bare bones 16x9 TV, so I only have two
    > viewing modes - 4:3 & 16:9), so I don't have the choice to zoom in.
    > Is this a viable option for most people when watching Widescreen
    > DVDs
    > that aren't formatted for 16x9 TVs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paula

    I discovered the same with some of my older DVDs (only "The Abyss" is
    among titles you've mentioned). The DVD player, a Buffalo LT, plays
    DVDs and MPEGISO files. Oddly its zoom is different depending upon
    the source. For letter-boxed DVDs it zooms within the 640x480 frame?
    (how stupid is this? And how stupid am I for not knowing that in
    advance?) Since the mfgr does update its firmware, perhaps they'll
    address this stupidity in the near future - but it may not be an
    upgradeable option.

    The HD monitor (1920x1080p) has a VGA input among its several source
    connections and my laptop has a dual monitor ATI mobility 9500 video
    card. When I connect the laptop's VGA out to the monitor and use the
    VLC player, these DVDs are displayed exactly as I would want them to
    be by using VLC's 16:9 crop. BTW, I found no similar display option
    in PowerDVD or WinDVD.

    The monitor also has "standard" and "fill" display modes, but "fill"
    is really "stretch" and who in their right mind would watch anything
    that way?

    An added benefit of this connection I'd not anticipated is that the
    42" monitor displays anything from the laptop quite readably at
    armchair distance. A wireless mouse (so far keyboarding unnecessary
    after start-up) converts the laptop into a first class DVD/MPEG
    networked player, far superior to the stand-alone products. I've just
    ordered an ATI 95x0 card with DVI/VGA dual monitors for the tower
    nearest the monitor to make this setup permanent.
    Bill's News, May 9, 2006