Nokia uses other device to do video in cell phone ad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 6, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 6, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
    >format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?
    >http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

    Do you remember when Sigma used images in its own adverts that had
    been taken with a Hasselblad? It was in film days.
    Bruce, Sep 6, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 6, 2:12 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
    > >format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?
    > >http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

    > Do you remember when Sigma used images in its own adverts that had
    > been taken with a Hasselblad?  It was in film days.

    Doesn't surprise me. A full-page ad would be pushing 35mm film.
    RichA, Sep 7, 2012
  4. On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:41:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
    >format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?
    >
    >http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

    Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    If it actually was good enough to do as they claimed and the ad had
    run with genuine vid from the cam, it would have been good promo.
    Nobody's going to believe them now, though.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Sep 7, 2012
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby <>
    wrote:
    : On 9/7/12 12:15 PM, in article ,
    : "Grimly Curmudgeon" <> wrote:
    :
    : > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:41:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >> Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
    : >> format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?
    : >>
    : >> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879
    : >
    : > Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    : > If it actually was good enough to do as they claimed and the ad had
    : > run with genuine vid from the cam, it would have been good promo.
    : > Nobody's going to believe them now, though.
    :
    : You WOULD think that SOMEBODY in Post would have noticed that obvious
    : blunder. Amazing how some companies are run by inept brass. Nokia, like
    : RIM deserve their fate...

    Yeah, it could have been ineptitude, but the more obvious explanation is that
    Nokia's "brass" are as dishonest as their marketing lackeys. Which doesn't
    mean they aren't also stupid. Such conspicuous dishonesty often proves to be
    profoundly stupid.

    BTW, an apology is not what's due. What's due is the firing of everyone in the
    relevant chain of command, from the Marketing VP down to the cameraman. Anyone
    who had a hand in making or approving that ad. But I suspect that George is
    right: Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

    Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
    company a couple of years ago still around?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2012
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
    >company a couple of years ago still around?

    I worry a little about the concept of a "British hotshot". Being a
    "hotshot" isn't something that we British generally indulge in,
    preferring to leave it to our cousins across the sea who appear
    infinitely more talented in that area of expertise.

    British expertise lies mostly in the areas of:

    1) Grumbling about the weather,
    2) Muttering "mustn't grumble" while grumbling,
    3) Self-deprecating humour that is rarely understood, and
    3) Brewing the world's best tea and serving it with cucumber
    sandwiches and small sweet baked cakes or crisp, thin, sweet cookies
    that are referred to as "biscuits", not to be confused with American
    biscuits which are deliciously different.
    Bruce, Sep 8, 2012
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:31:34 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

    I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
    available at the time. IMHO.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 8, 2012
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:58:09 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
    :
    : >Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
    : >company a couple of years ago still around?
    :
    :
    : I worry a little about the concept of a "British hotshot". Being
    : a "hotshot" isn't something that we British generally indulge in,
    : preferring to leave it to our cousins across the sea who appear
    : infinitely more talented in that area of expertise.

    I finally Googled him. He's a Canadian-American hotshot. Born in Canada,
    citizen of both countries. Formerly employed at Microsoft.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2012
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:58:09 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
    >: >company a couple of years ago still around?
    >:
    >:
    >: I worry a little about the concept of a "British hotshot". Being
    >: a "hotshot" isn't something that we British generally indulge in,
    >: preferring to leave it to our cousins across the sea who appear
    >: infinitely more talented in that area of expertise.
    >
    >I finally Googled him. He's a Canadian-American hotshot. Born in Canada,
    >citizen of both countries. Formerly employed at Microsoft.

    Thanks, Bob.
    Bruce, Sep 8, 2012
  10. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
    > available at the time. IMHO.

    And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Sep 9, 2012
  11. Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <c515403a-4f14-40d3-b344-20969e496248
    > @q20g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
    >> Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
    >> format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?

    > That happens all the time.

    You know that, because *you* do that all the time, or do you have
    some sort of proof?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 9, 2012
  12. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby <>

    >: You WOULD think that SOMEBODY in Post would have noticed that obvious
    >: blunder. Amazing how some companies are run by inept brass. Nokia, like
    >: RIM deserve their fate...

    > Yeah, it could have been ineptitude, but the more obvious explanation is that
    > Nokia's "brass" are as dishonest as their marketing lackeys. Which doesn't
    > mean they aren't also stupid. Such conspicuous dishonesty often proves to be
    > profoundly stupid.

    Actually, what they did is demonstrate the OIS capability.
    They never intended that as "this is the real camera's output".

    Hence, the only 'blunder' was the assumption that everyone would
    KNOW that this was only a synthetic demonstration of the OIS
    capability (just as the MTF diagrams of Canon lenses are synthetic
    (computer generated), not measured).

    Everybody *knows* that advertizing always is on the border of
    misleading e.g. by not mentioning everything, comparing against
    the worst possible competitor or circumstances, exaggeration of
    everything, and so on and so on. Everybody.

    > BTW, an apology is not what's due. What's due is the firing of everyone in the
    > relevant chain of command, from the Marketing VP down to the cameraman. Anyone
    > who had a hand in making or approving that ad. But I suspect that George is
    > right: Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

    So do you agree to commit Seppuku if you ever are wrong in
    anything? That would only be ethical, given that you expect the
    equivalent from others.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 9, 2012
  13. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Trevor <> wrote:

    > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
    >> available at the time. IMHO.

    > And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

    Actually they did change, just not the right change. That ex-Microsoft
    "young hotshot" recently brought in to run Nokia decided that they
    obviously needed to go where the future action was going to be,
    i.e. Microsoft Windows for Mobiles. You get what you pay for.
    Pity. Their Symbian-based smarthphones were extremely good.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Sep 9, 2012
  14. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Trevor <> wrote:
    >> "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
    >>> available at the time. IMHO.

    >> And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

    > Actually they did change, just not the right change.

    Nope, stuck with Symbian far too long IMO, without ever supporting it
    properly.

    >That ex-Microsoft
    > "young hotshot" recently brought in to run Nokia decided that they
    > obviously needed to go where the future action was going to be,
    > i.e. Microsoft Windows for Mobiles. You get what you pay for.
    > Pity. Their Symbian-based smarthphones were extremely good.

    .... as standard phones yes. As "smart phones" *No*. And I speak from my
    experience there, same as many others that made the switch apparently.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Sep 10, 2012
  15. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:57:06 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
[...]

    Says the newsgroup contributor who is serving this year's term as the resident
    clown.

    Everybody else in this discussion understands the difference between being
    wrong and being a liar. And I think none of us are surprised that you don't.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 11, 2012
  16. Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Wolfgang
    > Weisselberg says...
    >> Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> > In article <c515403a-4f14-40d3-b344-20969e496248
    >> > @q20g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...

    >> > That happens all the time.

    >> You know that, because *you* do that all the time, or do you have
    >> some sort of proof?

    > One of my photos was used to promote a camera of another brand.

    So you know it happens. What about the "all the time" part?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 11, 2012
  17. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:57:06 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:
    >: Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >: > On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby <>

    >: > BTW, an apology is not what's due. What's due is the firing of everyone
    >: > in the relevant chain of command, from the Marketing VP down to the
    >: > cameraman. Anyone who had a hand in making or approving that ad. But
    >: > I suspect that George is right: Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland,
    >: > they will hardly be missed.
    >:
    >: So do you agree to commit Seppuku if you ever are wrong in
    >: anything? That would only be ethical, given that you expect the
    >: equivalent from others.

    > Says the newsgroup contributor who is serving this year's term as the resident
    > clown.

    The last resort: personal attacks.
    And a lie.

    > Everybody else in this discussion understands the difference between being
    > wrong and being a liar. And I think none of us are surprised that you don't.

    In your case it doesn't matter if I understand: you're both.
    Which probably only surprises you.
    And you are a hypocrite, a pharisee of the first degree.

    Caught lying, according to your moral compass, you need to be
    fired, and so does your whole family, your internet provider,
    the ones that laid the cables to your home or build the wireless
    towers receiving your internet connection, your computer maker,
    the ones who wrote your newsreader, etc.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 11, 2012