Nokia to add lightning detector to mobile phone

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ken Yates@yahooken.com, May 24, 2007.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Ken , May 24, 2007

  2. Ken

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, May 24, 2007

  3. Ken

    Kent Smith Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out
    >> of new applications to squeeze into mobile phones, think again. Nokia
    >> hopes someday to add a new feature to its phones that could
    >> warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    > That could be handy, the last thing one hears in life is "beep beep
    > Warning, you are about to be ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT"

    "Oi! Duck!"

    Kent Smith, May 25, 2007
  4. Ken

    Geopelia Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message

    > San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    > applications to squeeze
    > into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    > feature to its phones that
    > could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was away
    from home.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 25, 2007
  5. Ken

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:20:26 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

    > Jerry wrote:
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of
    >>> new applications to squeeze into mobile phones, think again. Nokia
    >>> hopes someday to add a new feature to its phones that could warn users
    >>> of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    >> That could be handy, the last thing one hears in life is "beep beep
    >> Warning, you are about to be ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT"

    > "Oi! Duck!"

    It begs the question - just what DO you do, given 1 or 2 seconds warning
    of a lightning strike (less 1/4 seconds reaction time). If you make a
    move, it might be towards the strike point. What if youre on top of a
    large metal structure? ... do you jump to save yourself?

    I don't have the answers, that's for sure!

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, May 25, 2007
  6. Ken

    Jerry Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:20:26 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry wrote:
    >>> That could be handy, the last thing one hears in life is "beep beep
    >>> Warning, you are about to be ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT"

    >> "Oi! Duck!"

    > It begs the question - just what DO you do, given 1 or 2 seconds warning
    > of a lightning strike (less 1/4 seconds reaction time). If you make a
    > move, it might be towards the strike point. What if youre on top of a
    > large metal structure? ... do you jump to save yourself?
    >
    > I don't have the answers, that's for sure!

    Very quickly bend over and kiss your ass good-bye?

    Jerry, May 25, 2007
  7. Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:20:26 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry wrote:
    >>> That could be handy, the last thing one hears in life is "beep beep
    >>> Warning, you are about to be ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT"

    >> "Oi! Duck!"

    > It begs the question - just what DO you do, given 1 or 2 seconds warning
    > of a lightning strike (less 1/4 seconds reaction time). If you make a
    > move, it might be towards the strike point. What if youre on top of a
    > large metal structure? ... do you jump to save yourself?
    >
    > I don't have the answers, that's for sure!
    >
    > Murray.

    I find there is usually considerably more warning of an impending strike.

    A vertical whip on a detuned AM radio is a good detector. Aside from the
    crashes of distant thunder you may also here tick tick tick ... where the ticks
    rise in frequency to a scream perhaps over minutes. By then it is too late to
    do anything. Given that the best place to be is in a vehicle and that such
    detectors are generally found in same one should concentrate on enjoying the
    show, though one strike did make me quite thankful for the New North
    Road/Dominion Road flyover.

    Mark Robinson, May 25, 2007
  8. Ken

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > <Ken > wrote in message
    >> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    >> applications to squeeze
    >> into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    >> feature to its phones that
    >> could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    > phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    > then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was away
    > from home.
    >
    > Geopelia

    I had one of those and telecom switched the network off! It could make
    calls and receive calls and the only feature was the 99 number telephone
    book in it

    Robert Cooze, May 25, 2007
  9. Ken

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:27:19 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    ><Ken > wrote in message
    >>
    >> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    >> applications to squeeze
    >> into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    >> feature to its phones that
    >> could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    >When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    >phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    >then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was away
    >from home.
    >
    >Geopelia

    Pretty damm hard these days, of course the marketer-wankers talk of
    customer demand. I hear a lot of demand for a simple, gadget free,
    basic cellphone, but it seems the marketer-wankers live in a parallel
    universe.

    The Motorola C155 (now obsolete of course!) was about the nearest to
    the simple phone you want, and it could be got for as little as $69.
    Wife bought one, and we are both very pleased with it.

    I have seen adverts in the USA for a very simple phone, but it was
    much more expensive than more complex models !!

    This remands me of the ANZ shithead that was on TV news the other
    night claiming that "customer demand" lead them to reduce seat pitch
    on the 737 by 2 cm. It really turns out that the customer demand was
    for cheaper fares. However we don't know what the real question was:

    Was it:

    a. Would you like much cheaper fares in return for a tiny reduction in
    seat spacing?

    b. Would you like a fucking uncomfortable ride to Auckland (some
    "longer-in-the-leg" folk may not be able to fit) in exchange for a
    potentially cheaper fare?

    I'm waiting to see the first "longer-in-the-leg" person to be
    allocated seat 19C, discover that he cannot fit, then have ANZs ass
    via the CGA. My guess is that a seat has to be "fit for it's
    purpose" If I cannot fit in it without pain, it seems it has failed
    that test.

    And never mind that accident investigation authorities point out that
    reduced seat pitch is less safe.

    Barry Lennox, May 25, 2007
  10. Ken

    bharmer Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 08:19:46 +1200, Barry Lennox
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:27:19 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >><Ken > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    >>> applications to squeeze
    >>> into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    >>> feature to its phones that
    >>> could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    >>When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    >>phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    >>then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was away
    >>from home.
    >>
    >>Geopelia

    >Pretty damm hard these days, of course the marketer-wankers talk of
    >customer demand.

    Yeah, like Air New Zeland tell us that the extra row of seats and 2cm
    less leg room is in response to customer demand. Have you ever heard
    more blatant dishonesty in your life?

    bharmer, May 26, 2007
  11. Ken

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > <Ken > wrote in message
    >>
    >> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    >> applications to squeeze
    >> into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    >> feature to its phones that
    >> could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    > phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    > then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was
    > away from home.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Saw one advertised on the sunrise breakfast show here this week, its a
    mobile and all it does is make and receive calls and texts, and has a phone
    book. It is obviously designed for older folk, as the number pad is a lot
    larger than your average as well. Ideal for the in-laws, I was thinking.

    Tony in Oz, May 26, 2007
  12. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Barry Lennox wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:27:19 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > <Ken > wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running
    > > > out of new applications to squeeze
    > > > into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to
    > > > add a new feature to its phones that
    > > > could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    > > >
    > > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    > > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives
    > > and sends phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably
    > > consider buying one then, just for emergencies. But it would stay
    > > switched off unless I was away from home.
    > >
    > > Geopelia

    > Pretty damm hard these days, of course the marketer-wankers talk of
    > customer demand. I hear a lot of demand for a simple, gadget free,
    > basic cellphone, but it seems the marketer-wankers live in a parallel
    > universe.
    >
    > The Motorola C155 (now obsolete of course!) was about the nearest to
    > the simple phone you want, and it could be got for as little as $69.
    > Wife bought one, and we are both very pleased with it.
    >
    > I have seen adverts in the USA for a very simple phone, but it was
    > much more expensive than more complex models !!

    I really like my Nokia 1100, now superceded by the 1100i which is a royal
    PITA to use. The 1100 has a few more features than simple telephony such as
    easy to use texting and a quick-to-set alarm function which I find
    invaluable. However, by contemporary standards it's still a fairly simple
    (and extremely successful) phone. So what do Nokia do? Replace it with one
    with 'feature creep', two new 'soft' buttons, the 'labels' for which reduce
    the effective screen size by 30%, alarm function hidden deeper in the menu..

    I read of consumer backlash to 'function creep'. However, I don't see many,
    if any, manufacturers catering to the ever-increasing market of people who
    just want a simple device.

    Just because it's possible to do a thing doesn't mean that it's wise to do
    it.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 26, 2007
  13. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <Ken > wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running
    > > > out of new applications to squeeze
    > > > into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to
    > > > add a new feature to its phones that
    > > > could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    > > >
    > > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    > > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives
    > > and sends phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably
    > > consider buying one then, just for emergencies. But it would stay
    > > switched off unless I was away from home.
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Saw one advertised on the sunrise breakfast show here this week,
    > its a mobile and all it does is make and receive calls and texts, and
    > has a phone book. It is obviously designed for older folk, as the
    > number pad is a lot larger than your average as well. Ideal for the
    > in-laws, I was thinking.

    Is it GSM? Take a SIM card like Vodafones? Do you remember the brand?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 26, 2007
  14. Ken

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 08:19:46 +1200, Barry Lennox <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:27:19 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >><Ken > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> San Francisco (IDGNS) - If you thought developers were running out of new
    >>> applications to squeeze
    >>> into mobile phones, think again. Nokia hopes someday to add a new
    >>> feature to its phones that
    >>> could warn users of imminent lighting strikes.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    >>When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives and sends
    >>phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably consider buying one
    >>then, just for emergencies. But it would stay switched off unless I was away
    >>from home.
    >>
    >>Geopelia

    >Pretty damm hard these days, of course the marketer-wankers talk of
    >customer demand. I hear a lot of demand for a simple, gadget free,
    >basic cellphone, but it seems the marketer-wankers live in a parallel
    >universe.
    >
    >The Motorola C155 (now obsolete of course!) was about the nearest to
    >the simple phone you want, and it could be got for as little as $69.
    >Wife bought one, and we are both very pleased with it.

    The Nokia 1110i H.N has them for $58..

    Beat that..

    , May 26, 2007
  15. Ken

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:26:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Barry Lennox wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:27:19 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> > <Ken > wrote in message

    >> > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives
    >> > and sends phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably
    >> > consider buying one then, just for emergencies. But it would stay
    >> > switched off unless I was away from home.
    >> >
    >> > Geopelia

    >> Pretty damm hard these days, of course the marketer-wankers talk of
    >> customer demand. I hear a lot of demand for a simple, gadget free,
    >> basic cellphone, but it seems the marketer-wankers live in a parallel
    >> universe.
    >>
    >> The Motorola C155 (now obsolete of course!) was about the nearest to
    >> the simple phone you want, and it could be got for as little as $69.
    >> Wife bought one, and we are both very pleased with it.
    >>
    >> I have seen adverts in the USA for a very simple phone, but it was
    >> much more expensive than more complex models !!

    >I really like my Nokia 1100, now superceded by the 1100i which is a royal
    >PITA to use. The 1100 has a few more features than simple telephony such as
    >easy to use texting and a quick-to-set alarm function which I find
    >invaluable. However, by contemporary standards it's still a fairly simple
    >(and extremely successful) phone. So what do Nokia do? Replace it with one
    >with 'feature creep', two new 'soft' buttons, the 'labels' for which reduce
    >the effective screen size by 30%, alarm function hidden deeper in the menu..

    Aha, funny you should mention that, I was looking for a new small
    phone to replace my older-than-dirt Alcatel, noting that Motorola has
    got rid of the cute little C155 I looked at the 1100i and decided it
    was a POS. Squidgy buttons and nearly impossible-to-read labels.

    The bastards that develop these things should be forced to read every
    day:-

    "The Design of Everyday Things" by Donald A Norman.

    I guess I'l have to buy a used one on TradeMe or similar.

    Barry Lennox, May 26, 2007
  16. Ken

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > <Ken > wrote in message

    >> > When will someone invent a small mobile phone that just receives
    >> > and sends phone calls? No extra bits and pieces. I'd probably
    >> > consider buying one then, just for emergencies. But it would stay
    >> > switched off unless I was away from home.
    >> >
    >> > Geopelia
    >> >

    >> Saw one advertised on the sunrise breakfast show here this week,
    >> its a mobile and all it does is make and receive calls and texts, and
    >> has a phone book. It is obviously designed for older folk, as the
    >> number pad is a lot larger than your average as well. Ideal for the
    >> in-laws, I was thinking.

    > Is it GSM? Take a SIM card like Vodafones? Do you remember the brand?
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Sorry Shaun, I don't remember the details, but I will try to get time to
    research it. If I don't get time to, you could try googling "channel 7 " and
    "sunrise" and "the Gadget guy", they should have it on their website. Oh,
    its an aussie channel 7, by the way.

    Tony in Oz, May 26, 2007
  17. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Tony in Oz wrote:
    > > > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > > > Saw one advertised on the sunrise breakfast show here this
    > > > week, its a mobile and all it does is make and receive calls and
    > > > texts, and has a phone book. It is obviously designed for older
    > > > folk, as the number pad is a lot larger than your average as
    > > > well. Ideal for the in-laws, I was thinking.

    > > Is it GSM? Take a SIM card like Vodafones? Do you remember the
    > > brand? --
    > > Shaun.
    > >

    > Sorry Shaun, I don't remember the details, but I will try to get time
    > to research it. If I don't get time to, you could try googling
    > "channel 7 " and "sunrise" and "the Gadget guy", they should have it
    > on their website. Oh, its an aussie channel 7, by the way.

    Ok, thanks Tony, I'll have a quick look with Google...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 26, 2007
  18. Ken

    Shane Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:20:26 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry wrote:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070524/tc_infoworld/88818;_ylt=AlClsskWx6dULCEHLcYVtGEjtBAF

    >>> That could be handy, the last thing one hears in life is "beep beep
    >>> Warning, you are about to be ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT"

    >> "Oi! Duck!"

    > It begs the question - just what DO you do, given 1 or 2 seconds warning
    > of a lightning strike (less 1/4 seconds reaction time). If you make a
    > move, it might be towards the strike point. What if youre on top of a
    > large metal structure? ... do you jump to save yourself?
    >
    > I don't have the answers, that's for sure!
    >
    > Murray.

    I recall seeing something about lightening strikes in the Midwestern States
    of the US on the telly a while back (my god how vague is that???)
    From what I recall lightening strikes were occurring in fields (ie. baseball
    pitches) several miles away from storms, on the program they were
    discussing putting in detectors that measured the potential charge in the
    air, watching it rise to a danger point, or watching it rise rapidly
    indicated a lightening strike in the area was likely, and as such the kids
    playing the baseball were evacuated, until the danger passed.

    In the name of vagueness I did some googling
    http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/grounders/lightningsafety.html
    While many lightning casualties happen at the beginning of an approaching
    storm, more than 50 percent of lightning deaths occur after the
    thunderstorm has passed. The lightning threat diminishes after the last
    sound of thunder, but may persist for more than 30 minutes. When
    thunderstorms are in the area, but not overhead, the lightning threat can
    exist when skies are clear.

    http://thorguard.com/news6.asp
    "In some professional golf tournaments, you can get as many as 50,000 people
    on a golf course, and you want as much warning as possible to get people to
    safety," said Stewart Williams, a meteorologist for the PGA.

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4731/is_200406/ai_n17300145
    (popup warning)
    Watching a developing storm may be too late to protect patrons at golf
    courses, parks, pools, ball fields, and other outdoor sites. Lightning can
    strike far in advance of storm clouds or well after a storm seems to pass.
    Thor Guard Model L150 monitors intensity of electrostatic energy associated
    with lightning activity and predicts the probability of a first strike
    within a certain time and within a defined area up to 5 mi. in diameter.

    Right.. Im off to do the lawns...
    --
    Q: Why do you never hear the number 288 on television?
    A: It's two gross.

    Shane, May 26, 2007
  19. In <4656d4b5$> Jerry wrote:
    > Murray Symon wrote:
    >>
    >> It begs the question - just what DO you do, given 1 or 2 seconds
    >> warning of a lightning strike (less 1/4 seconds reaction time). If
    >> you make a move, it might be towards the strike point. What if youre
    >> on top of a large metal structure? ... do you jump to save yourself?
    >>
    >> I don't have the answers, that's for sure!

    > Very quickly bend over and kiss your ass good-bye?

    But what if you don't have your donkey with you?

    If you're caught in the open and believe there's likely to be a strike
    nearby: feet together(1), crouch down(2), cover ears(3).

    (1) Because of the high energy involved in a lightning strike it doesn't
    immediately reach ground potential when it strikes. There will be a
    substantial voltage difference between the strike point and the ground
    some distance away. If your legs are apart there can be a difference of
    thousands of volts between them, which means the current will flow up
    one leg and back down the other (and through parts in between).

    (2) Crouching means you hopefully won't be the tallest target around.

    (3) WHAT!?! Plus covering your ears means you won't have your hands on
    the ground. Hand on the ground = current through the arm, chest, and leg,
    stopping your heart on the way.

    p.s. This is the advice I've read before and it sounds pretty sensible
    to me, but I haven't tried this myself. So if you want to try it and it
    works let me know. If it doesn't work you don't need to tell me.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, May 27, 2007