Nokia really stuck on the fence

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by andy, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. andy

    andy Guest

    "On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
    free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
    can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "

    http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/

    I've read on a couple of forums about E60 or E61 users having real
    trouble setting up the included VoIP client for use of their selected
    provider. At the moment Nokia seem to allow calls within a corporate
    environment and behind a company firewall, but won't have solutions for
    NAT, ICE, STUN issues until early next year

    Well, that's my incomlete reading of it, and you guys know more about
    all that than me, but it sounds like I could talk myself out of getting
    say an E60 in the near future, which ought to be a nicer idea than
    maybe an interim move to a UT Starcom set

    And the article mentions a forthcoming product from 3, which sounds
    rather like it may allow VoIP over 3g ....... specifies Skype though
    ......... maybe Nokia should pull out its finger and allow all versions
    on all VoIP enabled phones

    andy, Nov 30, 2006

  2. andy

    alexd Guest

    andy wrote:

    > "On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
    > free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
    > can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "
    >
    > http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/

    I wouldn't have said they were stuck on the fence - I'd have said that they
    are producing products that different parts of the market want to buy, aka
    making money.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    14:12:16 up 10 days, 17:54, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.07, 0.02

    alexd, Nov 30, 2006

  3. andy

    andy Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > andy wrote:
    >
    > > "On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
    > > free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
    > > can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "
    > >
    > > http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/

    > I wouldn't have said they were stuck on the fence - I'd have said that they
    > are producing products that different parts of the market want to buy, aka
    > making money.

    Well. they also seem driven by a desire not to upset the networks

    Who wants to buy a product that is sabotaged in its intended use by
    another company? Not conjecture either - networks in some countries
    have been banning VoIP use for some time

    Read on other forums that people who have certain phones from Nokia
    that include a VoIp client have had great difficulty in setting them
    up, even on their home wifi network

    andy, Nov 30, 2006
  4. andy wrote:

    > Read on other forums that people who have certain phones from Nokia
    > that include a VoIp client have had great difficulty in setting them
    > up, even on their home wifi network

    That's probably mostly because the client is bloody awkward and the WiFi
    implementaion is dire. Even with the latest firmware the E60 I've been
    using disconnects from the network from time to time.

    Thomas Kenyon, Nov 30, 2006