Nokia Communication Suite expands VoIP options

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    Brian A, Nov 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>,
    Brian A <> wrote:
    >http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6


    Damn them! I don't want to turn my PC into a softphone - I can do
    that already, I want an unlocked SIP client for my 9500 communicator &
    770 tablet!!!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Nov 30, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC),
    (Gordon Henderson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Brian A <> wrote:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6

    >
    >Damn them! I don't want to turn my PC into a softphone - I can do
    >that already, I want an unlocked SIP client for my 9500 communicator &
    >770 tablet!!!
    >
    >Gordon

    I don't have the devices you have but I would hope to have a wifi
    enabled mobile phone in the future. That horrid senario of 'locking'
    sprang to my mind also when I read the article.



    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Nov 30, 2006
    #3
  4. Brian A

    voip_ross Guest

    It does read as if nokia is going to build the system and charge for
    it. It says one bill, so maybe it will be a mobile phone provider that
    will offer the system. I think people should be able to choose their
    provider, not be locked in!!

    If you have a mobile phone on 3G now, can you not connect to the
    internet with it and use a standard softphone? I think this is possible
    isn't it??

    I use the nokia N70, it has built in wireless and a sip client that
    works well with most routers, however the device does not support STUN
    or methods to overcome routing problems. The Nokia site says that this
    should be coming soon, however no news yet!

    Ross
    -----------------------------
    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost
    http://www.voicehost.co.uk


    Brian A wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC),
    > (Gordon Henderson) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >Brian A <> wrote:
    > >>http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6

    > >
    > >Damn them! I don't want to turn my PC into a softphone - I can do
    > >that already, I want an unlocked SIP client for my 9500 communicator &
    > >770 tablet!!!
    > >
    > >Gordon

    > I don't have the devices you have but I would hope to have a wifi
    > enabled mobile phone in the future. That horrid senario of 'locking'
    > sprang to my mind also when I read the article.
    >
    >
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    voip_ross, Dec 1, 2006
    #4
  5. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    voip_ross wrote:

    > It does read as if nokia is going to build the system and charge for
    > it. It says one bill, so maybe it will be a mobile phone provider that
    > will offer the system. I think people should be able to choose their
    > provider, not be locked in!!
    >
    > If you have a mobile phone on 3G now, can you not connect to the
    > internet with it and use a standard softphone? I think this is possible
    > isn't it??


    It may well be possible, but whether or not it's usable is another matter
    entirely. The main concern with IP over 3G is the latency, ie how long it
    takes your speech to digitised, compressed, transmitted, decompressed and
    converted back to analogue at the other end. The transmission bit is
    dependant on the network you are using, and the oft-quoted figure is for a
    maximum of 150ms latency [http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/QoS]. I have
    never used 3G data first hand before, so I've got no idea how well they
    perform, w.r.t. QoS.

    Whilst simply pinging across a 3G data link may give you a rough idea about
    how well it will work, but one ICMP packet per second is not the same as
    many UDP packets per second. Now I'm not one to don a tin foil hat for no
    reason, but I reckon the 3G networks have very little interest in ensuring
    that your packets get where they're going in the right order or in a timely
    manner. So I would be interested to see some test results, and I would be
    entirely unsurprised to find 3G unsuitable for VoIP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:26:53 up 12 days, 14:09, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.02
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK
    alexd, Dec 2, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. G Hampton

    Nokia data suite in system tray

    G Hampton, Oct 5, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    441
    °Mike°
    Oct 6, 2003
  2. SwissTony

    NOKIA 3100 data suite help needed

    SwissTony, Feb 19, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    514
    hawker
    Feb 26, 2005
  3. shopbb.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,065
    shopbb.com
    Nov 18, 2007
  4. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    Windows Genuine Advantage Expands...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 25, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    450
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP]
    May 2, 2006
  5. me
    Replies:
    96
    Views:
    415
    PeterN
    Nov 28, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page