    What's the difference apart from waranty? feature, capabilities?

    Anyone has this phone? Good or bad?

    tia

    duff, Oct 20, 2005

  2. In <> duff wrote:

    > What's the difference apart from waranty? feature, capabilities?
    > Anyone has this phone? Good or bad?

    Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    downloads may not work.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair .geek.nz, Oct 20, 2005

  3. duff

    Richard Guest

    Alastair .geek.nz wrote:

    > Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    > features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    > import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    > downloads may not work.

    I would call that a bonus feature ;)

    Richard, Oct 20, 2005
  4. "Alastair .geek.nz" <> wrote in message
    > In <> duff wrote:
    >
    >> What's the difference apart from waranty? feature, capabilities?
    >> Anyone has this phone? Good or bad?

    > Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    > features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    > import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    > downloads may not work.
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Alastair.
    > Wellington, New Zealand
    > www.alastair.geek.nz
    >
    > My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    > are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    > accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    > posting.

    i was reading somewhere recently someone was saying that imported gsm phones
    would not work on the nz vodafone network - what a load of bollocks gsm is a
    world standard so how would roamers visit?. i suppose some of the crappy
    vodafone extras might not work but cares.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 20, 2005
  5. duff

    Sue Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Alastair .geek.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In <> duff wrote:
    >>

    >>>What's the difference apart from waranty? feature, capabilities?
    >>>Anyone has this phone? Good or bad?

    >>Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    >>features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    >>import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    >>downloads may not work.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards, Alastair.
    >>Wellington, New Zealand
    >>www.alastair.geek.nz
    >>
    >>My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    >>are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    >>accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    >>posting.

    > i was reading somewhere recently someone was saying that imported gsm phones
    > would not work on the nz vodafone network - what a load of bollocks gsm is a
    > world standard so how would roamers visit?. i suppose some of the crappy
    > vodafone extras might not work but cares.

    i bought an imported sony z800 a few months back. before they were
    released on the market. Everything works fine - I can download music if
    i want to......but I don't.
    Much easier to just drop some tunes onto the memory stick and away you go.
    Only thing I had to do was call vodafone and they txted me the pxt and
    data settings for it ....

    Sue, Oct 20, 2005
  6. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Alastair .geek.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> In <> duff wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's the difference apart from waranty? feature, capabilities?
    >>> Anyone has this phone? Good or bad?

    >> Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    >> features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    >> import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    >> downloads may not work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Alastair.
    >> Wellington, New Zealand
    >> www.alastair.geek.nz
    >>
    >> My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    >> are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    >> accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    >> posting.

    > i was reading somewhere recently someone was saying that imported gsm
    > phones would not work on the nz vodafone network - what a load of bollocks
    > gsm is a world standard so how would roamers visit?. i suppose some of
    > the crappy vodafone extras might not work but cares.

    The phones will work for standard GSM services including voice, SMS and WAP.
    If the phone supports 3G live video calls it will work as well.

    MMS may not work. Vodafone live! may not work. Video clips and music
    downloads may not work.

    Even if the fone is from Vodafone Australia and has a similar model here it
    may not work.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 20, 2005
  7. duff

    harrod Guest

    My 6630 (basically same as 6680) works fine.

    Had to manually set up for vodafone live etc.. Wasnt too hard.

    Everything works, mobile tv, music...

    harrod, Oct 21, 2005
  8. duff

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <4358087f$>,
    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alastair .geek.nz" <> wrote in message

    > >> Apparently, the units sold by Vodafone dealers have customised DRM
    > >> features in the firmware. Because of this, if you opt for a parallel
    > >> import, you may find that some Vodafone Live features such as music
    > >> downloads may not work.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards, Alastair.
    > >> Wellington, New Zealand
    > >> www.alastair.geek.nz
    > >>
    > >> My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    > >> are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    > >> accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    > >> posting.

    > > i was reading somewhere recently someone was saying that imported gsm
    > > phones would not work on the nz vodafone network - what a load of bollocks
    > > gsm is a world standard so how would roamers visit?. i suppose some of
    > > the crappy vodafone extras might not work but cares.
    > >

    > The phones will work for standard GSM services including voice, SMS and WAP.
    > If the phone supports 3G live video calls it will work as well.
    >
    > MMS may not work. Vodafone live! may not work. Video clips and music
    > downloads may not work.
    >
    > Even if the fone is from Vodafone Australia and has a similar model here it
    > may not work.

    So, what you are saying is all the worthless wanky features will not
    work, but then again you save heaps of money.... seems a very fair trade
    off to me.

    Who Am I, Oct 21, 2005
  9. duff

    Scott McLeod Guest

    beware, this phone doesnt actually support P2P (Push to Talk)
    There is a note inside the box when you buy it stating The Push to talk
    features dont work on the Vodafone Network, even tho the Phone Supports
    P2P

    Scott McLeod, Oct 21, 2005