    I tried changing my computer's time zone manually to GMT+1300 and the
    times are now synchronised exactly. Surely it isn't necessary to do
    this? How is this happening?
    Rob J, Oct 13, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    >NZ recently went to daylight saving time for the 2005/2006 year, and our
    >timezone changed from GMT+1200 to GMT+1300 for this period. Windows and
    >Outlook are set to automatically adjust the time for daylight saving
    >time. The phone is set to automatically receive the time from the
    >network provider, Telecom New Zealand.
    >
    >Ever since the daylight saving time came in, any appointment in Outlook
    >with a time in it has been 1 hour ahead of the time shown in the phone.
    >
    >I tried changing my computer's time zone manually to GMT+1300 and the
    >times are now synchronised exactly. Surely it isn't necessary to do
    >this? How is this happening?

    This is the kind of thing that can go wrong when the OS sets the system
    clock to show local time rather than GMT/UTC time. It means the clock
    has to be explicitly adjusted forward or back twice a year, and you have
    to save a flag somewhere to remember whether you have done so, to avoid
    doing the adjustment more than once. All this extra complexity affords
    extra opportunities for things to go wrong--as you have discovered.

    Whereas if the system clock is always in GMT/UTC, then all you need is
    the correct timezone setting, and that's it. There's nothing further to
    adjust: you just look at the current system clock time, and see what
    offset rule applies to that timezone for that time of year, and you
    always get the correct local time. Simple.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2005