    can this be cured or do I have to live with it?

    TIA

    Graham
    graham, Jan 24, 2004

  2. graham

    ICee Guest

    graham wrote:
    > I had a new modem fitted recently a V.92 PCI voicefax modem and each
    > time I dial to connect to the internet I get the horrible screeching
    > dial up noise ( its quite loud so loud in fact I can no longer
    > connect late at night because it disturbs everyone ) the sound used
    > to come from the speakers so I could turn it down but now it comes
    > through either the modem or somewhere within the pc itself,tried
    > turning the volume down through modem settings in control panel but
    > it made no difference,
    >
    > can this be cured or do I have to live with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Graham

    The sound is coming from a small 'speaker' on the modem card itself.
    Unless the manufacturer has some way to turn it off, you'll have to live
    with it.
    ICee, Jan 24, 2004

  3. graham

    °Mike° Guest

    Control Panel / Phone and Modem Options / Modems / Properties.
    Go to the Advanced tab and enter the following into the extra
    settings box:

    AT&M=0

    That's a zero, not the letter O.

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:52:25 -0000, in
    <butpq6$m9v$>
    graham scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 24, 2004
  4. ICee wrote:
    > graham wrote:
    >> I had a new modem fitted recently a V.92 PCI voicefax modem and each
    >> time I dial to connect to the internet I get the horrible screeching
    >> dial up noise ( its quite loud so loud in fact I can no longer
    >> connect late at night because it disturbs everyone ) the sound used
    >> to come from the speakers so I could turn it down but now it comes
    >> through either the modem or somewhere within the pc itself,tried
    >> turning the volume down through modem settings in control panel but
    >> it made no difference,

    >> can this be cured or do I have to live with it?

    >> TIA

    >> Graham

    > The sound is coming from a small 'speaker' on the modem card itself.
    > Unless the manufacturer has some way to turn it off, you'll have to live
    > with it.

    Well, except for the good ol' modem "AT" commands.

    ATM0

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2004
  5. graham

    ICee Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >> graham wrote:
    >>> I had a new modem fitted recently a V.92 PCI voicefax modem and each
    >>> time I dial to connect to the internet I get the horrible screeching
    >>> dial up noise ( its quite loud so loud in fact I can no longer
    >>> connect late at night because it disturbs everyone ) the sound used
    >>> to come from the speakers so I could turn it down but now it comes
    >>> through either the modem or somewhere within the pc itself,tried
    >>> turning the volume down through modem settings in control panel but
    >>> it made no difference,

    >>> can this be cured or do I have to live with it?

    >>> TIA

    >>> Graham

    >> The sound is coming from a small 'speaker' on the modem card itself.
    >> Unless the manufacturer has some way to turn it off, you'll have to
    >> live with it.

    > Well, except for the good ol' modem "AT" commands.
    >
    > ATM0

    Forgot about those. Been on broadband too long. Thanks for the
    correction.
    ICee, Jan 24, 2004
  6. ICee wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> ICee wrote:

    >>> The sound is coming from a small 'speaker' on the modem card itself.
    >>> Unless the manufacturer has some way to turn it off, you'll have to
    >>> live with it.

    >> Well, except for the good ol' modem "AT" commands.

    >> ATM0

    > Forgot about those. Been on broadband too long. Thanks for the
    > correction.

    I exist but to serve. And occasionally do some bloody marys.

    And I hope that *I* may always take correction with such grace.

    --
    Blinky T. "today it's gin'n'tonic for a change" Shark Linux RU 4892F
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2004
  7. graham

    ICee Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Well, except for the good ol' modem "AT" commands.

    >>> ATM0

    >> Forgot about those. Been on broadband too long. Thanks for the
    >> correction.

    > I exist but to serve. And occasionally do some bloody marys.
    >
    > And I hope that *I* may always take correction with such grace.

    Thanks, Blinky. :)
    ICee, Jan 25, 2004