    joevan Guest

    I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?
    joevan, May 10, 2008

  2. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    >have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

    Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section with it if
    that would be of help.
    I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.
    joevan, May 10, 2008

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    >>have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

    >Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section with it if
    >that would be of help.
    >I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

    Here is a small picture of the unit.

    http://download.yousendit.com/4D70A2D31CF584C4
    joevan, May 10, 2008
  4. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it
    >>>seems to have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be
    >>>on the safe side?

    >>Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section
    >>with it if that would be of help.
    >>I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

    > Here is a small picture of the unit.

    You call THAT "small"? 300+ KB?

    Anyway, it looks pretty standard except it /looks/ like someone
    has done a little number on the screws. You may need a small
    Vise-Grip to get them out. Names of cheap CPU fans are
    irrelevant, they're all crap made in China (get a Tawainese one
    if you can - I don't know if any are made in Japan or Korea) and
    the sizes are standard because the CPU chips are standard size.

    You have a variety of options. Search online, there are
    heatsinks which use NO fans and work great (Zalman etc.), there
    are noiseless fans, there are fans like yours which MAY just
    need CLEANING, and there are other things. Sorry I can't be more
    specific but this is really a simple matter.

    A heat sink should have very thin layer of special goo so it
    "connects" 100% with the CPU surface. Then you screw a fan (or
    whatever) on top of it.

    --
    There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but
    to be overcome--to be got over.

    - Arthur Schopenhauer
    thanatoid, May 10, 2008
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 10 May 2008 17:27:51 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >joevan <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section
    >>>with it if that would be of help.
    >>>I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

    >> Here is a small picture of the unit.

    >You call THAT "small"? 300+ KB?
    >
    >Anyway, it looks pretty standard except it /looks/ like someone
    >has done a little number on the screws. You may need a small
    >Vise-Grip to get them out. Names of cheap CPU fans are
    >irrelevant, they're all crap made in China (get a Tawainese one
    >if you can - I don't know if any are made in Japan or Korea) and
    >the sizes are standard because the CPU chips are standard size.
    >
    >You have a variety of options. Search online, there are
    >heatsinks which use NO fans and work great (Zalman etc.), there
    >are noiseless fans, there are fans like yours which MAY just
    >need CLEANING, and there are other things. Sorry I can't be more
    >specific but this is really a simple matter.
    >
    >A heat sink should have very thin layer of special goo so it
    >"connects" 100% with the CPU surface. Then you screw a fan (or
    >whatever) on top of it.

    Thanks, next time I shut down I will remove the fan and check it more
    carefully. Sorry about the size. The photo starts out at 1.3 meg. I
    resized it to 1/2 and saved at 92%. I use broadband so not thinking I
    guess I still posted a needless size for this sort of helpful place.
    joevan, May 10, 2008
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:44:47 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >>>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it

    I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink. I can be moved
    a bit up or down. If I have to I could use slightly larger screws,
    but I seem to have it adjusted fairly well now.
    joevan, May 10, 2008
  7. joevan

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:07:25 +0000, joevan wrote:

    >> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    >> screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink. I can be moved
    >> a bit up or down. If I have to I could use slightly larger screws,
    >> but I seem to have it adjusted fairly well now.

    > Use some hot glue.

    Excellent fan failure warning device: fan fails - heatsink heats up - hot
    melt glue melts - fan hits bottom of PC case with loud clunk!
    ian field, May 10, 2008
  8. joevan wrote:

    > I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    > screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink.

    What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you get this
    system at the thrift shop or something?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, May 11, 2008
  9. joevan

    PeeCee Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    >I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    > have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

    Joevan

    Attaching those fans to the heatsink by screwing into the interfin gap is
    quite normal.
    If they won't tighten, remove the fan altogether and squeeze the fins
    together with a pair of pliers.
    The heatsink material is aluminium and should bend quite easily.

    While you have the fan off remove the round label over the back and apply
    some drops of 20/50 motor oil to the bearing, work it in and reseal the
    label.
    (most chipset fans are of this phosphor bronze bearing type, however if it
    is a ball bearing type there will be no way to lubricate the bearing and if
    noisy the only way to fix is by replacement)

    Best
    Paul
    PeeCee, May 11, 2008
  10. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:07:25 +0000, joevan wrote:

    >>> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is
    >>> in place with screws that just fit between the fins on
    >>> the heat sink.

    Isn't computer technology just fucking STATE OF THE ART????

    >>> I can be moved a bit up or down. If I
    >>> have to I could use slightly larger screws, but I seem to
    >>> have it adjusted fairly well now.

    >> Use some hot glue.

    > Excellent fan failure warning device: fan fails - heatsink
    > heats up - hot melt glue melts - fan hits bottom of PC case
    > with loud clunk!

    I was wondering how to comment but you said it SO much better
    than anything I could have come up with!

    thanatoid, May 11, 2008
  11. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Thanks, next time I shut down I will remove the fan and
    > check it more carefully.

    You're welcome.

    > Sorry about the size. The photo
    > starts out at 1.3 meg. I resized it to 1/2 and saved at
    > 92%. I use broadband so not thinking I guess I still posted
    > a needless size for this sort of helpful place.

    A little "OT" info:

    Saving JPG's at 92% is pointless. Usually anything above 90%
    will look virtually the same as the original. OTOH, you /could/
    have cropped the image a little - the fan in question took up
    less than 1/4 of the image IIRC.

    If you want to find out what the best compression/size ratio FOR
    YOU is, do some tests. I use 85% most of the time - but I have
    gotten /perfectly/ acceptable results with 65 or 70% - depending
    on content of course.

    Unfortunately, EVERY program I have seen has a completely
    different way of calculating and setting the compression
    factor/quality! That does NOT help!

    (Of course, since so many people have BB it could be considered
    a moot point, but I still use a 33.6 modem and I am reasonably
    certain MOST internet users in the world do NOT have BB, unless
    they live in Holland or something.)

    Regards
    t.

    thanatoid, May 11, 2008
  12. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:16:40 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    >> have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

    >Joevan
    >
    >Attaching those fans to the heatsink by screwing into the interfin gap is
    >quite normal.
    >If they won't tighten, remove the fan altogether and squeeze the fins
    >together with a pair of pliers.
    >The heatsink material is aluminium and should bend quite easily.
    >
    >While you have the fan off remove the round label over the back and apply
    >some drops of 20/50 motor oil to the bearing, work it in and reseal the
    >label.
    >(most chipset fans are of this phosphor bronze bearing type, however if it
    >is a ball bearing type there will be no way to lubricate the bearing and if
    >noisy the only way to fix is by replacement)
    >
    >Best
    >Paul

    Seems to have helped. I used just a tiny bit of #10 vacuum pump oil.
    Could not find any other. It seems to have helped. Thanks.
    joevan, May 11, 2008
  13. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 15:34:40 -0700, "nobody >"
    <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    >>> screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink.

    >> What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you get this
    >> system at the thrift shop or something?
    >>

    >I've seen a lot of HSFs mounted this way, as well as transistor and
    >"slab" poweramp ICs in high-end audio and industrial equipment. If done
    >right, it's not an issue.

    Well as I said before, it seems to be doing all right now. I took it
    out and put a tiny bit of #10 vacuum pump oil on the back and let it
    do its thing. Rub it in a bit and that is good. I got the screws to go
    in just fine. It doesn't take much oil to do the job.
    Haven't heard a peep from that fan all afternoon.
    joevan, May 12, 2008
  14. nobody > wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    >>> screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink.

    >> What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you get this
    >> system at the thrift shop or something?
    >>

    > I've seen a lot of HSFs mounted this way, as well as transistor and
    > "slab" poweramp ICs in high-end audio and industrial equipment. If done
    > right, it's not an issue.

    I'll be darned. Sure *sounds* like a kludge.

    Blinky the Shark, May 12, 2008
  15. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > joevan wrote:
    >
    >> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in
    >> place with screws that just fit between the fins on the
    >> heat sink.

    > What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you
    > get this system at the thrift shop or something?

    As you know, blinkers, you've been in my KF for just about as
    long as anybody. Still I, occasionally get glimpses of your
    wisdom in quotes.

    While I certainly do not disagree that it is primitive (and I
    said so myself in another post), that happens to be the way
    every CPU fan *I've* ever seen is mounted to the heat sink -
    with screws just big enough to wedge themselves tightly in
    between the fins.

    Strange that such an expert as yourself would not have noticed
    that.

    thanatoid, May 12, 2008