Noisy DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mushroom, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Mushroom

    Mushroom Guest

    (Sorry if this is posted twice, E-mail program acting up)

    Hi again,
    When I access large amounts of data from a DVD or CD, the drive
    makes a rapid clunking sound, almost like some hard drives make rapid
    clicking sounds. I know this is normal because all my disk drives, including
    the one in my Xbox make this noise. If optical disk drives are anything like
    hard drives, I assume this noise is the laser rapidly jumping back and
    forward. I am just wondering why it does this. When I tell my PC to copy an
    entire DVD or CD to the hard drive, since it ultimately has to read all the
    data on the disk, why doesn't the laser just follow the spiral track and
    slowly move outwards, a bit like a record player needle would? I've also
    noticed that it only "clunks" when it is changing the file that it is
    reading, for example; if it is copying 20 files per second, it will make the
    noise twice every second, but if it is copying very large files, it will
    only make the noise once it is finished and moves onto the next one (if that
    makes any sense). While I'm asking this, why does a hard drive do the same
    thing?
    Thanks for any answers,
    a confused newbie!
    Mushroom, Aug 13, 2004