Noisy DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mushroom, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Mushroom

    Mushroom Guest

    Hi again,
    When I access large amounts of data from a DVD or CD, the drive
    makes a rapid clunking sound, almost like some hard drives make rapid
    clicking sounds. I know this is normal because all my disk drives, including
    the one in my Xbox make this noise. If optical disk drives are anything like
    hard drives, I assume this noise is the laser rapidly jumping back and
    forward. I am just wondering why it does this. When I tell my PC to copy an
    entire DVD or CD to the hard drive, since it ultimately has to read all the
    data on the disk, why doesn't the laser just follow the spiral track and
    slowly move outwards, a bit like a record player needle would? I've also
    noticed that it only "clunks" when it is changing the file that it is
    reading, for example; if it is copying 20 files per second, it will make the
    noise twice every second, but if it is copying very large files, it will
    only make the noise once it is finished and moves onto the next one (if that
    makes any sense). While I'm asking this, why does a hard drive do the same
    thing?

    Thanks for any answers,
    a confused newbie!

    Mushroom, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Mushroom

    nameruse Guest

    "Mushroom" <> wrote in message
    > When I access large amounts of data from a DVD or CD,

    the drive
    > makes a rapid clunking sound, almost like some hard drives make

    rapid
    > clicking sounds. I know this is normal because all my disk drives,

    including
    > the one in my Xbox make this noise. If optical disk drives are

    anything like
    > hard drives, I assume this noise is the laser rapidly jumping back

    and
    > forward. I am just wondering why it does this. When I tell my PC to

    copy an
    > entire DVD or CD to the hard drive, since it ultimately has to read

    all the
    > data on the disk, why doesn't the laser just follow the spiral track

    and
    > slowly move outwards, a bit like a record player needle would? I've

    also
    > noticed that it only "clunks" when it is changing the file that it

    is
    > reading, for example; if it is copying 20 files per second, it will

    make the
    > noise twice every second, but if it is copying very large files, it

    will
    > only make the noise once it is finished and moves onto the next one

    (if that
    > makes any sense). While I'm asking this, why does a hard drive do

    the same
    > thing?

    If a file is stored in discontiguous clusters on the HDD, the
    read/write head needs to move around the disk surface to access
    different fragments of the file.

    I think this would also apply _if_ a file was also broken into
    multiple parts on an optical disk. However, if the optical disk
    was made through the press process or an image burning, all data
    should be in contiguous blocks. I don't know if packet writing
    techniques (e.g. DirectCD, UDF, etc.) can generate file
    fragments just like those on HDDs.

    In addition to file fragments, the order in which the files are read
    and the presence of large might also affect the frequency of the laser
    movement.

    http://www.usenet.com

    nameruse, Aug 16, 2004