    30-45 seconds it quiets down again only to do it all over again a few
    minutes later. Would appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks!

    JW, Jun 17, 2007

  2. JW

    Guest

    On Jun 17, 11:27 am, "JW" <> wrote:
    > HI,
    > I have a 3 year old Dell computer that's works fine BUT... it will be normal
    > for a while and then get very noisy (like the fan is revving up) and after
    > 30-45 seconds it quiets down again only to do it all over again a few
    > minutes later. Would appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks!

    well, "end users" often have a noise problem becaus dust builds up in
    their comp fans because they never open them.

    That aside.

    The CPU cooler's fan can rev up when the CPU gets above a certain
    temperature. Then it goes down again when the CPU reaches an ok
    temperature. Then the CPU temp rises slowly, and up revs the CPU
    cooler's fan.

    To see if this is happening, get a program to see CPU temp.
    Speedfan is excellent. Si Sandra, notebook hardware control(may work
    on desktops too, dunno).

    And while you're at it, get WCPUID too, a program that will give you
    some details about your processor. ('cos different processors run at
    diffferent temperatures. So you could know if your processor is
    running hotter than other people with the same processor. That can
    indicate a cooling problem). Though since you've got a dell, that
    shouldn't happen, they should be cooled properly!!

    So. Download speedfan. watch it. for example, on my laptop, when one
    of the temps listed reaches 55, the fan goes FAST, brings it down to
    50. Then the fan slows again and the temp slowly rises again.

    There is a program called cpuidle, that when you're not doing much,
    uses 100% of the cpu to well, do nothing or issue halt instructions.
    This can cool it down. It didn't make any difference to my laptop but
    it may help your computer.

    You could move the comp far away from your monitor keyboard and mouse
    with a KVM Extender. Or you could play a game of trying to cool your
    computer while keeping the noise down. It can involve looking at each
    individual component and replacing it with a quiet one. (not feasible
    for a dell machine). But in your case it looks like the cpu heatsink
    fan is the issue. Not the PSU fan or case fan. There are quieter CPU
    heatsinks available. There are even fanless ones though the fanless
    ones for regular processors - processors that get quite hot - like
    yours seems to, those (those fanless cpu heatsinks) may not fit in the
    case.

    Hopefully your problem is just dust!! Or something stuck in the fan.

    If you've had it for 3 years and the problem only starts now then it'd
    prob that.

    I suggest finding out what the problem is. The Speedfan software,
    e.t.c.

    Even opening up your Dell and looking for any cable getting stuck in
    the fan. Any dust in the fan. Clearing that.

    , Jun 17, 2007

  3. JW

    Kyote Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:27:15 -0500, "JW" <>
    wrote:

    >HI,
    >I have a 3 year old Dell computer that's works fine BUT... it will be normal
    >for a while and then get very noisy (like the fan is revving up) and after
    >30-45 seconds it quiets down again only to do it all over again a few
    >minutes later. Would appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    >Thanks!

    I mostly agree with James. Except, you've had this computer for 3 yrs
    and never noticed a fan revving up or down. At least that's what I'm
    assuming from what you've said.

    I'd first go to your local computer store or Radio Shack and buying a
    good can of air, specifically for blowing out dust in computer parts.
    Then if your warranty is up on the computer. Shut the computer off and
    unplug it. Then crack open the case. Blow out all the dust you can
    see. In fact I would carefully remove the Power supply unit and then
    remove it's cover and thoroughly blow it out as well. In fact I think
    it's your power supply fan that's likely making all the noise. It
    sounds like it may be getting clogged with dust and slowing down or
    even stopping. So the sooner you blow the dust out the better.
    ---
    Kyote

    Kyote, Jun 21, 2007