    noise is intermittent & a fan would be constant.
    Any hints/pointers/help gratefully received, all.
    TIA.
    sandy58, Oct 30, 2007

  2. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 30, 9:18 am, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > I am getting a strange noise from inside the box when I
    > change "pages" ie: go from one poster to another in this
    > or any other news group, when I play a game, etc.
    > The noise is a grunting kinda labouring moan. Very short
    > and stops when I have done whatever I am doing.
    > I cannot exactly place the location other than saying i
    > t comes from the lower half of my box. Not a "sound card"
    > kinda noise. More physical..if you know what I mean.
    > I'm thinking maybe video/graphics card??? I ruled out fans as the
    > noise is intermittent & a fan would be constant.
    > Any hints/pointers/help gratefully received, all.
    > TIA.

    My apologies for the double post. My error. :-(
    sandy58, Oct 30, 2007

  3. sandy58

    Guest

    sandy58 wrote:

    > I am getting a strange noise from inside the box when I
    > change "pages" ie: go from one poster to another in this
    > or any other news group, when I play a game, etc.
    > The noise is a grunting kinda labouring moan. Very short
    > and stops when I have done whatever I am doing.
    > I cannot exactly place the location other than saying i
    > t comes from the lower half of my box. Not a "sound card"
    > kinda noise. More physical..if you know what I mean.
    > I'm thinking maybe video/graphics card??? I ruled out fans as the
    > noise is intermittent & a fan would be constant.
    > Any hints/pointers/help gratefully received, all.
    > TIA.

    take motherboard out of case. Remove everything leaving just

    CPU(with its fan),RAM,VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVE.

    Does it still make the noise?

    If so. Try changing video card. To see if it is video card.

    another thing to try. change hard drive.

    Or, if you view newsgroups in a browser, then you can use Win XP PE and
    thus view newsgroups without using the hard drive. You can download win
    xp pe, now sometimes called windows xp live cd. It can be downloaded
    from emule. Or obtained from the web. This option is only really easy
    if you already have win xp pe. Worth getting though
    , Oct 31, 2007
  4. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 31, 11:07 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > sandy58 wrote:
    > > I am getting a strange noise from inside the box when I
    > > change "pages" ie: go from one poster to another in this
    > > or any other news group, when I play a game, etc.
    > > The noise is a grunting kinda labouring moan. Very short
    > > and stops when I have done whatever I am doing.
    > > I cannot exactly place the location other than saying i
    > > t comes from the lower half of my box. Not a "sound card"
    > > kinda noise. More physical..if you know what I mean.
    > > I'm thinking maybe video/graphics card??? I ruled out fans as the
    > > noise is intermittent & a fan would be constant.
    > > Any hints/pointers/help gratefully received, all.
    > > TIA.

    > take motherboard out of case. Remove everything leaving just
    >
    > CPU(with its fan),RAM,VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVE.
    >
    > Does it still make the noise?
    >
    > If so. Try changing video card. To see if it is video card.
    >
    > another thing to try. change hard drive.
    >
    > Or, if you view newsgroups in a browser, then you can use Win XP PE and
    > thus view newsgroups without using the hard drive. You can download win
    > xp pe, now sometimes called windows xp live cd. It can be downloaded
    > from emule. Or obtained from the web. This option is only really easy
    > if you already have win xp pe. Worth getting though

    , thanks for your input. It turned out to be
    the Video card. The card holding screw was slightly out of line with
    the hole in the side of the box (or vice versa) and was pulling the
    Video card skew (just lifting it ever so slightly out of the slot. the
    noise stopped instantly.
    ATB, James
    Sandy in Scotland
    sandy58, Nov 4, 2007