    serious computer work?

    Thanks for any help.
    Pete

    PeteD, Mar 27, 2006

  2. PeteD

    Frank B Guest

    "PeteD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
    > Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
    > done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
    >
    > How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
    > with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
    >
    > I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but haven't
    > looked at noise.
    >
    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Pete

    Depends on the tool you use. I use Noise Ninja which runs as a filter in
    Photoshop (or stand-alone if you want). There are other tools as well.
    Noise Ninja does an excellent job and there are downloadable profiles for
    just about all popular dSLRs.

    Will every shot need work? Not necessarily. High ISO shots will almost
    always need a pass through a noise reduction filter if you plan to print
    them. If you are shooting at low ISO, noise isn't an issue. Might need
    post production for other reasons but not always.

    The better you can get your shot 'in camera' the less post production you
    need. I've only been doing this a couple of years and when I started, I
    wasn't worried about in camera results because I could fix anything (well,
    almost anything) in PS. As I learned more, I've tried much harder to get
    things right when I take the shot and only do a little PS work later unless
    I'm looking at doing something 'interesting' with the picture. It's much
    quicker.

    FWIW.

    Frank B, Mar 28, 2006

  3. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Frank B (at dot) wrote:
    > "PeteD" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    > > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
    > > Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
    > > done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
    > >
    > > How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
    > > with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
    > >
    > > I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but haven't
    > > looked at noise.
    > >
    > > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > > serious computer work?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > > Pete
    > >

    > Depends on the tool you use. I use Noise Ninja which runs as a filter in
    > Photoshop (or stand-alone if you want). There are other tools as well.
    > Noise Ninja does an excellent job and there are downloadable profiles for
    > just about all popular dSLRs.
    >
    > Will every shot need work? Not necessarily. High ISO shots will almost
    > always need a pass through a noise reduction filter if you plan to print
    > them. If you are shooting at low ISO, noise isn't an issue. Might need
    > post production for other reasons but not always.
    >
    > The better you can get your shot 'in camera' the less post production you
    > need. I've only been doing this a couple of years and when I started, I
    > wasn't worried about in camera results because I could fix anything (well,
    > almost anything) in PS. As I learned more, I've tried much harder to get
    > things right when I take the shot and only do a little PS work later unless
    > I'm looking at doing something 'interesting' with the picture. It's much
    > quicker.
    >
    > FWIW.

    Thanks for that. Answered my question fully....

    Pete

    PeteD, Mar 28, 2006
  4. PeteD

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > PeteD writes ...
    >
    > I'm seriously looking at an entry level SLR like a
    > D50 or D70 (worried about noise) ... Does this mean
    > that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    Below ISO 400 you probably won't need to do anything, the images will
    look fine ... 800 and higher you'll almost surely need to run a noise
    reduction program (I use Neat Image but others are similar). ISO 400
    seems to be the tipping point for most people with these 1.5x sensors,
    you might be happy with the images at this ISO but some of the time you
    might want or need to run the reduction program on it. Depends on the
    shot and on your tolerance for noise.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Mar 28, 2006
  5. PeteD

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
    > Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
    > done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.

    If you're talking about JPGs, any of the digital SLRs (and I imagine any
    semi-modern point-and-shoot) will perform at least some noise-reduction in
    the camera. If, however, you're using the RAW files, then the noise
    reduction needs to be done on your PC. Some (most?) RAW importers are
    capable of performing noise reduction, and there are also programs designed
    just to do noise reduction.

    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    Nope.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Mar 28, 2006
  6. PeteD wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
    > Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction
    > being done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
    >
    > How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
    > with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
    >
    > I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but
    > haven't looked at noise.
    >
    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    I should hope not.

    Paying £1000 (or $1600) for a camera then having to spend hours on a PC to
    arrive at an acceptable print or photo-file is not quite what digital
    photography is all about.

    You might as well go back to film and a darkroom.

    There are noise-reduction programs out there, such as Neat Image and many
    others, but why not try eliminating the noise from your pictures in the
    first place by not taking pictures of black cats in coad cellars?

    Dennis Pogson, Mar 28, 2006
  7. PeteD

    Rich Guest

    You know what would be good? If noise is so bad you can't eliminate it
    without turning
    your picture into a watercolour, if there was a way to convert the
    digital noise so it looked
    pretty much like film noise used to, it might just produce a printable
    image.
    I've fooled around with various programs, and have gotten close to
    producing (for eg)
    a Tri-X black and white look from a noisy colour image, but not close
    enough and ideally
    you'd want to somehow preserve the colour.

    Rich, Mar 28, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    PeteD <> wrote:

    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    Of course not. Unless you commonly need very high ISO's, in which case
    you might consider shooting on film.

    Or, since you mention the D200, getting one of those. The recent
    Popular Photography review, I believe, used the phrase "astonishingly
    low" when it came to noise.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 28, 2006
  9. PeteD

    Rich Guest

    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    > Nope.

    >steve

    Well, noise reduction programs aren't psychic, you have to do some work
    achieve the best result.
    -Rich

    Rich, Mar 28, 2006
  10. PeteD

    Rod Williams Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:
    >>I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    >>looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
    >>Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
    >>done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.

    > If you're talking about JPGs, any of the digital SLRs (and I imagine any
    > semi-modern point-and-shoot) will perform at least some noise-reduction in
    > the camera. If, however, you're using the RAW files, then the noise
    > reduction needs to be done on your PC. Some (most?) RAW importers are
    > capable of performing noise reduction, and there are also programs designed
    > just to do noise reduction.
    >

    >>Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    >>serious computer work?

    > Nope.
    >
    > steve

    I have a Canon 350D and it does a great job of noise reduction on jpgs.
    RAW is another thing because you have to post process it to reduce
    noise. I have found the RAW converters don't do a very good job though.
    I got the noiseware plugin for Photoshop and it is great.

    Rod Williams, Mar 28, 2006
  11. PeteD

    John Smith Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > Paying £1000 (or $1600) for a camera then having to spend hours on a PC
    > arrive at an acceptable print or photo-file is not quite what digital
    > photography is all about.

    ..

    I think that's *exactly* what digital photography is all about, the ability
    to fine tune your pictures to your own standards without having to sell your
    first born in order to afford a first class lab.
    The real appeal of digital is that it DOES allow you have the control of a
    "darkroom", but without the "dark" and without the chemicals.

    John Smith, Mar 29, 2006
  12. PeteD

    Guest

    PeteD wrote:
    > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
    > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 [...]
    > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
    > serious computer work?

    To add my 2c's to the useful information above, I'd say that if you
    didn't bother with the noise of your Ixus, you will barely remark it on
    a DSLR!

    I wouldn't deflect the subject into a dangerous troll area, but I'll
    just add that you'll have choise between having great quality picture
    straight out of the camera with jpegs, and greater quality with a
    tremendous control over your work with raws, at the expense of a bit of
    post-processing time.

    Nicolas (sorry if that appears twice, I posted it for a while and
    did'nt see anything)

    , Mar 29, 2006