    TIA

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
    Ockham's Razor, Dec 17, 2006

  2. They work well. I like Noise Ninja. But Neat Image is also good.

    LJC

    Little Juice Coupe, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Ockham's Razor

    embee Guest

    "Little Juice Coupe" <> wrote in message
    > They work well. I like Noise Ninja. But Neat Image is also good.
    >
    > LJC

    I agree - I have tried most products on the market and they all seem to do a
    similar quality job. The main difference, in my opinion, is the interface. I
    suggest trying out demo versions of each product and finding out which works
    best for you. Personally, I now use Noise Ninja because I found Neat Image's
    interface a bit unfriendly - but it's a personal choice. The results are
    similar from both products, if used properly. I should also say that I do
    not get too hung up about noise - I'd rather keep essential detail than have
    a perfectly smooth, noise free image at the expense of sharpness. I use any
    noise reduction technique sparingly - and always on a seperate layer.
    Good Luck.
    embee, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Ockham's Razor

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <em2p07$c8k$>, embee
    <> wrote:

    > "Little Juice Coupe" <> wrote in message
    > > They work well. I like Noise Ninja. But Neat Image is also good.
    > >
    > > LJC
    > >

    > I agree - I have tried most products on the market and they all seem to do a
    > similar quality job. The main difference, in my opinion, is the interface. I
    > suggest trying out demo versions of each product and finding out which works
    > best for you. Personally, I now use Noise Ninja because I found Neat Image's
    > interface a bit unfriendly - but it's a personal choice. The results are
    > similar from both products, if used properly. I should also say that I do
    > not get too hung up about noise - I'd rather keep essential detail than have
    > a perfectly smooth, noise free image at the expense of sharpness. I use any
    > noise reduction technique sparingly - and always on a seperate layer.
    > Good Luck.

    Have you tried Noiseware Professional from Imagenomic.com? It comes in
    a PS pluging (Mac & Win) or a standalone (Win only). I like it very
    much.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 17, 2006
  5. So does Noise Ninja and NeatImage. Plug-ins and standalone. As one responder
    put it it comes down to interface. I don't think beyond that that any one of
    them is better or worse than they other for the final result.

    LJC

    Little Juice Coupe, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Ockham's Razor

    joefoto Guest

    I took a pass on plugins and went with STOIK noise reduction. Did just
    what I needed on my Panasonic FZ-20 at ISO400 to give usable images.

    Joe
    joefoto, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Ockham's Razor

    Jim Blue Guest

    How do all these programs compare with the Digital Camera Noise
    Reduction in Paint Shop Pro 9 (and presumably also in PSP X and
    PSP XI)?
    Jim Blue, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Ockham's Razor

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, joefoto <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:

    > I took a pass on plugins and went with STOIK noise reduction. Did just
    > what I needed on my Panasonic FZ-20 at ISO400 to give usable images.
    >
    > Joe

    Why would you want to use software that is completely automatic and
    gives you no control over how much noise reduction/sharpening is being
    applied?

    Personally, I would think you'd like to adjust the sharpening level
    based on the intent; either print or web.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Aaron wrote:
    > And lo, joefoto <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    >> I took a pass on plugins and went with STOIK noise reduction. Did just
    >> what I needed on my Panasonic FZ-20 at ISO400 to give usable images.
    >>
    >> Joe

    > Why would you want to use software that is completely automatic and
    > gives you no control over how much noise reduction/sharpening is being
    > applied?
    >
    > Personally, I would think you'd like to adjust the sharpening level
    > based on the intent; either print or web.

    Well, you (Aaron), and I would. Also based on image type, size (as in
    number of pixels), and sometimes, selectively as in masks or smart objects.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Jim Blue wrote:
    > How do all these programs compare with the Digital Camera Noise
    > Reduction in Paint Shop Pro 9 (and presumably also in PSP X and
    > PSP XI)?

    I've found that PSP-10 is about as good as the other software, and
    certainly adequate for my purposes.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 19, 2006
  11. On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:38:54 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Does anyone have info on the relative efficacy of the noise reduction
    > software products such as Noise Ninja and NOISEware? I am interested
    > particularly in those that can be used as an Elements plug-in.
    >
    > TIA

    I use both Noise Ninja and Neat Image about equally. There is a qualitative
    difference between the two that I really can't put finger on, except that
    Noise Ninja works better at getting rid of noise in large dark areas and Neat
    Image seems to do better at retaining texture and fine details. The
    sharpening routines on both work well, but I like the way Noise Ninja
    sharpens better.
    Christopher Campbell, Dec 19, 2006
  12. On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:37:12 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Aaron
    <> wrote:

    >And lo, joefoto <> emerged from the ether
    >and spake thus:
    >>
    >> I took a pass on plugins and went with STOIK noise reduction. Did just
    >> what I needed on my Panasonic FZ-20 at ISO400 to give usable images.
    >>
    >> Joe

    >Why would you want to use software that is completely automatic and
    >gives you no control over how much noise reduction/sharpening is being
    >applied?
    >
    >Personally, I would think you'd like to adjust the sharpening level
    >based on the intent; either print or web.

    While I'm a NI plugin user, so like all the control that affords one in its
    application, the STOIK web page did mention at least some limited manual
    user control.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 19, 2006