    sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    Thanks

    , Jul 5, 2010

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    > sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    > Thanks

    If that happened to me, I'd be scanning for malware right now.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2010

  3. tony sayer Guest

    In article <
    s.com>, <> scribeth thus
    >There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    >sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    >Thanks

    Most likely a cooling fan usually the microprocessor one. Take the
    covers off and have a look and blow out any dust, may well help...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jul 5, 2010
  4. Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    >> sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    >> Thanks

    > If that happened to me, I'd be scanning for malware right now.
    >
    > Paul

    So it's not coming from the computer speaker ? You're talking
    about a mechanical noise coming from some moving part of the
    PC ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2010
  5. Guest

    On Jul 5, 4:45 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    > >> sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    > >> Thanks

    > > If that happened to me, I'd be scanning for malware right now.

    > >    Paul

    > So it's not coming from the computer speaker ? You're talking
    > about a mechanical noise coming from some moving part of the
    > PC ?
    >
    >     Paul

    No it's not mechanical. It's coming from the speaker.

    , Jul 5, 2010
  6. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jul 5, 4:45 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> If that happened to me, I'd be scanning for malware right now.
    >>> Paul

    >> So it's not coming from the computer speaker ? You're talking
    >> about a mechanical noise coming from some moving part of the
    >> PC ?
    >>
    >> Paul

    > No it's not mechanical. It's coming from the speaker.

    Well, you know what software is on your computer.

    I've had poor luck here, using search engines to search for
    descriptions of sounds like that. For example, the
    "police siren", "european police car siren" sound, is
    a hardware monitor detected overheat or overvoltage condition.
    Maybe I could find references to that, due to the
    frequency that it happens. But for other sounds, in the past
    I've had no luck at all finding references to them.

    Another example. I installed a copy of Kaspersky AV software,
    and got a loud "squealing pig" sound. That was KAV detecting
    malware, although I couldn't find references to that sound
    being a side effect. Initially, I thought it might have been
    the malware doing it. But it was KAV instead.

    If I was a practical joker, and had prepared my own
    copy of "back orifice", a "squeaking door" sound would
    make a perfect sound effect for when I disconnect from
    your computer. Back orifice as a Trojan program, is a
    way to take control of someone's computer remotely.
    But if a person is doing this for financial gain,
    things like keyloggers are more worthwhile (stealing
    your game passwords for example).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_orifice

    I'd start by scanning for malware first, simply because
    it is going to be so hard to figure out what legit
    program is doing it. Perhaps you could check the list of
    software you've installed recently, to get a handle
    on what the source might be.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2010
  7. <> wrote in message
    > There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    > sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    > Thanks

    If you use Skype, as your friends (contact list) come on and go off line,
    Skype will make a noise. There are other instant messaging programs that
    alert you of your status, and the status of your friends, the same way.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 6, 2010
  8. gnu / linux Guest

    On Jul 5, 6:05 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    > > sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    > > Thanks

    > If you use Skype, as your friends (contact list) come on and go off line,
    > Skype will make a noise. There are other instant messaging programs that
    > alert you of your status, and the status of your friends, the same way.

    AOLs AIM makes the squeaky door sound ...

    gnu / linux, Jul 6, 2010
  9. Paul Guest

    gnu / linux wrote:
    > On Jul 5, 6:05 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    >>> sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    >>> Thanks

    >> If you use Skype, as your friends (contact list) come on and go off line,
    >> Skype will make a noise. There are other instant messaging programs that
    >> alert you of your status, and the status of your friends, the same way.

    > AOLs AIM makes the squeaky door sound ...

    That's a pretty weird choice for a sound effect.

    http://yedda.com/questions/Door_sounds_aol_mail_495980538426101

    "AOLMailMike Answered:

    The door sound from your AIM buddies signing on and signing off.

    In to disable the sounds in webmail, click "Settings" (upper right)
    and then "AIM" (on the left). Under "Play a sound when:", uncheck
    the boxes for "Buddies sign in to AIM" and "Buddies sign out of AIM"
    "
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2010
  10. Colin Trunt Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > There's a noise on my computer from time to time...a sound effect that
    > sounds like a squeaky door opening. Anyone know what this could be ?
    > Thanks

    Could ir be the door on the DVD drive opening.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 9, 2010