    ??) Should I worry ?

    Thanks

    John
    ///Owen\\\\\\, Dec 2, 2005

  2. ///Owen\\\\\\

    phil Guest

    i don't think they are made to make noise........

    back it up a.s.a.p is my opinion ....... u never know

    Phil

    phil, Dec 2, 2005

  3. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Martik Guest

    "///Owen\\\" <> wrote in message
    > Just got back from a trip and turned on the computer. There was a noise
    > (quite loud) from the hard drive for a couple of minutes (until it warmed
    > up ??) Should I worry ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Make sure it was the HD first. Open up the case and check for the source of
    the noise. It could be:
    1. Case fan(s) (stop with your finger for a sec to determine if noise
    stops)
    2. CPU fan
    3. Video card fan
    3a. CD or DVD drive
    4. Loose mounting screws on the HD or one of the above.

    Run a smart diagnostic on the HD.
    http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Disk_Utilities/Review_08441_index.html
    Martik, Dec 2, 2005
  4. ///Owen\\\ wrote:

    > Just got back from a trip and turned on the computer. There was a noise
    > (quite loud) from the hard drive for a couple of minutes (until it warmed
    > up
    > ??) Should I worry ?

    Make sure it isn't one of the fans. If it's indeed the harddrive, you should
    backup your important data somewhere else somehow fast.
    Walter Mautner, Dec 2, 2005
  5. ///Owen\\\\\\

    philo Guest

    >> Just got back from a trip and turned on the computer. There was a noise
    >> (quite loud) from the hard drive for a couple of minutes (until it warmed
    >> up
    >> ??) Should I worry ?
    >>

    > Make sure it isn't one of the fans. If it's indeed the harddrive, you
    > should
    > backup your important data somewhere else somehow fast.

    that's what i'd say too
    i use an old stethoscope to pinpoint noise problems
    philo, Dec 2, 2005
  6. ///Owen\\\\\\

    clot Guest

    ///Owen\\\ wrote:
    > Just got back from a trip and turned on the computer. There was a
    > noise (quite loud) from the hard drive for a couple of minutes (until
    > it warmed up ??) Should I worry ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I think you've had good advice from Martik & Walter, Owen.
    clot, Dec 2, 2005
  7. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Trax Guest

  8. ///Owen\\\\\\

    mike hudon Guest

    if it sounded like two spoons clicking together your hard drive is toast

    mike hudon, Dec 3, 2005
  9. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Plato Guest

    ///Owen\\\ wrote:

    > Just got back from a trip and turned on the computer. There was a noise
    > (quite loud) from the hard drive for a couple of minutes (until it warmed up
    > ??) Should I worry ?

    It sounds like you are calling your pc "The hard drive". If so, then the
    noise is most likely the cpu fan.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 3, 2005