    clicking and crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming from the
    hard drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the sound
    better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    nobody, Oct 2, 2007

  2. nobody

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:21:55 +0000, nobody wrote:

    > A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2 clicking
    > noises.A few seconds after i hear the noise the hard drive light stays on a
    > fews seconds but when the hard drive light is on the hard drive is not
    > making any sounds.And sometimes when i hear the clicking the pc might
    > freeze or i get the blue screen of death.I dont think its the hard drive i
    > have s.m.a.r.t enabled no errors,i installed disk checkup it says drive is
    > ok,and i ran software that came with the hard it found no errors.Does
    > anyone know what this clicking sound is and why its crashing my pc?ALso the
    > clicking and crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming from the
    > hard drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the sound
    > better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    Probably a rat (or similar) chewing on the hard drive platters. When you
    took the cover off the case, it escaped, and the noise is gone. Do you
    have any stray hamsters/gerbil sightings in the house? Check their teeth
    for metal oxide shavings.

    Dan C, Oct 2, 2007

  3. nobody

    Tony Guest

    Defragment the hard drive if it doesn't bust first.

    Tony, Oct 2, 2007
  4. nobody

    bardeban Guest

    Check your heat sink and fan on your CPU.
    If it is dirty, clean it you might be having heat problem.
    When CPU is hot and there is not enough air on it, CPU makes a sound which
    is caused by heat on CPU.
    You will burn your CPU eventually if you don't do anything. If the heat sink
    and fan is no good, change it.

    bardeban, Oct 2, 2007
  5. nobody

    VanguardLH Guest

    "nobody" wrote ...
    > A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2
    > clicking
    > noises.A few seconds after i hear the noise the hard drive light
    > stays on a
    > fews seconds but when the hard drive light is on the hard drive is
    > not
    > making any sounds.And sometimes when i hear the clicking the pc
    > might
    > freeze or i get the blue screen of death.I dont think its the hard
    > drive i
    > have s.m.a.r.t enabled no errors,i installed disk checkup it says
    > drive is
    > ok,and i ran software that came with the hard it found no
    > errors.Does
    > anyone know what this clicking sound is and why its crashing my
    > pc?ALso the
    > clicking and crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming
    > from the
    > hard drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the
    > sound
    > better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    Go into power options and make sure the current theme does not power
    down the hard drives when idle for awhile. That is, ensure the hard
    disks do not power down to save power. Then check if the clicking
    noise continues.

    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2007
  6. nobody

    nobody Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in news:COidnQ5-
    :

    > "nobody" wrote ...
    >> A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2
    >> clicking
    >> noises.A few seconds after i hear the noise the hard drive light
    >> stays on a
    >> fews seconds but when the hard drive light is on the hard drive is
    >> not
    >> making any sounds.And sometimes when i hear the clicking the pc
    >> might
    >> freeze or i get the blue screen of death.I dont think its the hard
    >> drive i
    >> have s.m.a.r.t enabled no errors,i installed disk checkup it says
    >> drive is
    >> ok,and i ran software that came with the hard it found no
    >> errors.Does
    >> anyone know what this clicking sound is and why its crashing my
    >> pc?ALso the
    >> clicking and crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming
    >> from the
    >> hard drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the
    >> sound
    >> better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    > Go into power options and make sure the current theme does not power
    > down the hard drives when idle for awhile. That is, ensure the hard
    > disks do not power down to save power. Then check if the clicking
    > noise continues.

    Thanks for the responses.All fans in pc are working properly.And the hard
    drive is not set to turn off when idle in power options.

    nobody, Oct 2, 2007
  7. nobody <> wrote...
    > A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2
    > clicking noises.A few seconds after i hear the noise the hard drive
    > light stays on a fews seconds but when the hard drive light is on the
    > hard drive is not making any sounds.And sometimes when i hear the
    > clicking the pc might freeze or i get the blue screen of death.I dont
    > think its the hard drive i have s.m.a.r.t enabled no errors,i
    > installed disk checkup it says drive is ok,and i ran software that
    > came with the hard it found no errors.Does anyone know what this
    > clicking sound is and why its crashing my pc?ALso the clicking and
    > crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming from the hard
    > drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the sound
    > better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    try sum butta' o' sum spray uh vegitable oil..... works fa' me.....

    Tembang Sunda, Oct 2, 2007
  8. nobody

    VanguardLH Guest

    "nobody" wrote ...

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >>
    >> "nobody" wrote ...
    >>> A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2
    >>> clicking
    >>> noises.

    >> Go into power options and make sure the current theme does not
    >> power
    >> down the hard drives when idle for awhile. That is, ensure the
    >> hard
    >> disks do not power down to save power. Then check if the clicking
    >> noise continues.

    > Thanks for the responses.All fans in pc are working properly.And the
    > hard
    > drive is not set to turn off when idle in power options.

    Do you hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise? Can you
    access the drive after the clicking noise?

    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2007
  9. nobody

    nobody Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in

    > "nobody" wrote ...
    >>
    >> "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "nobody" wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> Go into power options and make sure the current theme does not
    >>> power
    >>> down the hard drives when idle for awhile. That is, ensure the
    >>> hard
    >>> disks do not power down to save power. Then check if the clicking
    >>> noise continues.

    >> Thanks for the responses.All fans in pc are working properly.And the
    >> hard
    >> drive is not set to turn off when idle in power options.

    > Do you hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise? Can you
    > access the drive after the clicking noise?

    No i dont hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise.I can access
    the drive unless it frezzes or i get the blue screen which sometimes
    happens after the clicking noise.

    nobody, Oct 2, 2007
  10. nobody

    VanguardLH Guest

    "nobody" <> wrote in message
    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in

    >>> Thanks for the responses.All fans in pc are working properly.And
    >>> the
    >>> hard
    >>> drive is not set to turn off when idle in power options.

    >> Do you hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise? Can
    >> you
    >> access the drive after the clicking noise?
    >>

    > No i dont hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise.I can
    > access
    > the drive unless it frezzes or i get the blue screen which sometimes
    > happens after the clicking noise.

    Sounds like your drive has stopped spinning and it trying to start.
    If its motor is weak, bearings worn, or the PSU has gone bad and won't
    supply the proper voltage and amperage, the drive clicks when it wants
    to spin up but cannot spin up. If it is the PSU, possibly you added
    more devices to the computer and have exceeded the power output of the
    PSU. Also, PSUs do go bad after awhile, like 3 or 4 years.

    Remove or disconnect all unpluggable devices from the computer except
    one hard drive (with the OS), video card, and one memory stick. That
    should permit the computer to boot up. Test with a minimal hardware
    config to see if the clicking continues. If the hard disk doesn't
    spin up after the clicking noise, you need a new hard disk or PSU.
    Check the voltages at the hard disk when powered up.

    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2007
  11. nobody

    Another Guest

    nobody wrote:
    > A few weeks ago my pc started making a noise i guese like 1 or 2 clicking
    > noises.A few seconds after i hear the noise the hard drive light stays on a
    > fews seconds but when the hard drive light is on the hard drive is not
    > making any sounds.And sometimes when i hear the clicking the pc might
    > freeze or i get the blue screen of death.I dont think its the hard drive i
    > have s.m.a.r.t enabled no errors,i installed disk checkup it says drive is
    > ok,and i ran software that came with the hard it found no errors.Does
    > anyone know what this clicking sound is and why its crashing my pc?ALso the
    > clicking and crashes are random.I dont think the sound is comming from the
    > hard drive.A couple days ago i took the case off so i could hear the sound
    > better but since the case has been off i have not heard the noise.

    Clicking noise went away after opening case... Perhaps you had a ribbon
    cable positioned such that it was touching the cpu fan or other fan.

    Another, Oct 2, 2007
  12. nobody

    nobody Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in news:KbqdnSU7G6zm_5
    :

    > "nobody" <> wrote in message
    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "nobody" wrote ...

    >>> Do you hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise? Can
    >>> you
    >>> access the drive after the clicking noise?
    >>>

    >> No i dont hear the hard drive spin up after the clicking noise.I can
    >> access
    >> the drive unless it frezzes or i get the blue screen which sometimes
    >> happens after the clicking noise.
    >>

    > Sounds like your drive has stopped spinning and it trying to start.
    > If its motor is weak, bearings worn, or the PSU has gone bad and won't
    > supply the proper voltage and amperage, the drive clicks when it wants
    > to spin up but cannot spin up. If it is the PSU, possibly you added
    > more devices to the computer and have exceeded the power output of the
    > PSU. Also, PSUs do go bad after awhile, like 3 or 4 years.
    >
    > Remove or disconnect all unpluggable devices from the computer except
    > one hard drive (with the OS), video card, and one memory stick. That
    > should permit the computer to boot up. Test with a minimal hardware
    > config to see if the clicking continues. If the hard disk doesn't
    > spin up after the clicking noise, you need a new hard disk or PSU.
    > Check the voltages at the hard disk when powered up.

    I have a 400w power supply,2 hard drives,dvd burner,geforce 6200,and a
    nic with a athlon64 2800.I have ran many test on the hard drives and
    they passed.Im thinking maybe its the power supply.The pc is 3 or 4
    years old.Can a bad power supply cause freezes,blue screens,noices,and
    cause hard drive light to stay on solid for a couple minutes?The weird
    thing is i have had the case off for 2 or 3 days and i have not had any
    problems.I have checked the cables and i dont think any cables have
    touched the fan.

    nobody, Oct 2, 2007