    However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
    the example on the site.

    Is there another way I can solve this problem?

    Andrew Gerald, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Andrew Gerald

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew Gerald wrote:

    > The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    > and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    > fix this problem?
    >
    > I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
    > the shaft of the fan:
    >
    > http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020436,2135514-2,00.htm
    >
    > However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
    > the example on the site.
    >
    > Is there another way I can solve this problem?

    Leave your computer on?

    :p

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Andrew Gerald

    GraB Guest

    On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <>
    wrote:

    >The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    >and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    >fix this problem?
    >
    >I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
    >the shaft of the fan:
    >
    >http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020436,2135514-2,00.htm
    >
    >However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
    >the example on the site.
    >
    >Is there another way I can solve this problem?

    In my experience you have to remove the fan to get at the underside,
    removing the stick-on label. People recommend various things like
    automatic gearbox oil to lubricate it. Thin household oil will dry
    too quickly.

    I have used an automotive oil additive, the name of which escapes me,
    might have been Power Up, that could hang on an egg whisk when lifted
    out of the container, keeping the whisk going. This oil additive
    clings to the moving whisk blades. A drop of that sounds just the
    job.

    GraB, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Andrew Gerald

    Tony Guest

    On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    >and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    >fix this problem?
    >
    >I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
    >the shaft of the fan:
    >
    >http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020436,2135514-2,00.htm
    >
    >However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
    >the example on the site.

    They all do, you lift of the end of a sticker that coverers the bearing.

    Tony, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Andrew Gerald

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:
    >The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    >and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    >fix this problem?

    Replace it before it dies

    Try
    www.overclockers.co.nz

    S Roby, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Andrew Gerald

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:51:04 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <>, "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:
    >>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    >>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    >>fix this problem?
    >>

    >Replace it before it dies
    >
    >Try
    >www.overclockers.co.nz

    This firm makes a number of Fans for different 3D cards

    http://www.tennmax.com/

    DSE also has a Generic fan but if you are not a Tech it would be wise to
    leave it allown.

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Andrew Gerald

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
    >>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
    >>fix this problem?
    >>
    >>I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
    >>the shaft of the fan:
    >>
    >>http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020436,2135514-2,00.htm
    >>
    >>However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
    >>the example on the site.
    >>
    >>Is there another way I can solve this problem?

    > In my experience you have to remove the fan to get at the underside,
    > removing the stick-on label. People recommend various things like
    > automatic gearbox oil to lubricate it. Thin household oil will dry
    > too quickly.
    >
    > I have used an automotive oil additive, the name of which escapes me,
    > might have been Power Up, that could hang on an egg whisk when lifted
    > out of the container, keeping the whisk going. This oil additive
    > clings to the moving whisk blades. A drop of that sounds just the
    > job.

    I've had good results with "finish line" teflon loaded bicycle oil, it
    penetrates, stays where put and doesn't dry out.

    Roger_Nickel, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Thanks, looks like just what I need.

    Andrew Gerald, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Andrew Gerald, Jul 27, 2005
  10. > Try
    > www.overclockers.co.nz

    Beofre I ordered a new fan I checked that I could remove the existing
    one. I managed to unscrew the protective cover, but the getting the
    actual fan out has me stumped. It's held in place by 2 plastic stopper
    things (excuse the technical terms) which look like they are one way
    only. Am I supposed to be able to pull these out?

    Andrew Gerald, Jul 27, 2005
  11. > Try
    > www.overclockers.co.nz

    Before I ordered a new fan I thought I'd check that I could remove the
    existing
    one. I managed to unscrew the protective cover that's shielding the
    fan, but the getting the

    Andrew Gerald, Jul 27, 2005
  12. Andrew Gerald

    Tony Guest

    On 27 Jul 2005 02:32:58 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >> Try
    >> www.overclockers.co.nz

    >Beofre I ordered a new fan I checked that I could remove the existing
    >one. I managed to unscrew the protective cover, but the getting the
    >actual fan out has me stumped. It's held in place by 2 plastic stopper
    >things (excuse the technical terms) which look like they are one way
    >only. Am I supposed to be able to pull these out?

    They have a push pin that locks them, pull out the mushroom pin..

    May be if you are not a Tech type person you should take it to a TV Repair
    shop..

    Plus I do hope you are wearing a anti-static strap..

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    says...
    > > Try
    > > www.overclockers.co.nz

    > Before I ordered a new fan I thought I'd check that I could remove the
    > existing
    > one. I managed to unscrew the protective cover that's shielding the
    > fan, but the getting the
    > actual fan out has me stumped. It's held in place by 2 plastic stopper
    > things (excuse the technical terms) which look like they are one way
    > only. Am I supposed to be able to pull these out?

    My Gfx card fan displayed the same symptoms as yours about a month
    before it died.

    I decided to replace it with a Zalman fanless heatsink - about 50 bucks,
    and it never needs lubrication and makes no noise at all.

    As for those plastic pins, look at the tip, they have a couple of wings
    that spread. Get some needlenosec pliers and compress the spreaders,
    then carefully lift that corner of the old heatsink/fan while holding
    them in. You may find this difficult because there will be either
    thermal paste or a thermal pad between the heatsink and the GPU.
    They tend to get very sticky.
    In fact, if they used a thermal pad you may have to preheat the heatsink
    to 50 degrees or so to make it come off more easily.

    It's much easier if you can leave the heatsink on and just take the fan
    of.

    Thermal paste cleans off with Isopropanol, thermal pads are a bit like
    bluetack, you sort of roll them off, and you can clean up remnants with
    white spirits. In either case, you will need to get thermal compound to
    mount a replacement heatsink.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 27, 2005