Noel Lemmings and Computer Price Matching

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
    website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
    seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
    they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
    with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
    competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
    prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
    of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
    business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
    need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
    guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
    it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
    home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
    way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
    about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
    locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
    day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.

    This is there price match statemen
    FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    Terms & Conditions:
    Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    Product compared must be in stock
    Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
    clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
    offers or parallel imported product
    Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
    Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    will be matched).
    Rob, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Rob wrote:
    > I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
    > website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    > local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    > the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    > ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
    > seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
    > they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
    > with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
    > competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
    > prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
    > of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
    > business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
    > need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
    > guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
    > it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
    > home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
    > way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
    > about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
    > locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
    > day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.
    >
    > This is there price match statemen
    > FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    > WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    > Terms & Conditions:
    > Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    > advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    > Product compared must be in stock
    > Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    > Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
    > clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
    > offers or parallel imported product
    > Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    > radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
    > Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    > will be matched).

    Support ascent - they are a local business and need it more then the
    lemming guys - who i also have found to be useless

    Went to buy a $1500 tv, Asked them if they accepted GE card - they said
    yes, Then asked them if they had any finance deals going on at the time,
    They said yes, We are offering 18 months intrest free, Defered payment.

    We said we would take the tv. Swiped the card, All done and dusted. I
    then said, So thats 18 months intrest free right.

    No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE card.

    ARRRGH.. Reversed the payment back onto my credit card, Went accross the
    road to harvey norman and got me a heavily discounted price, quickest
    and easiest sale harvey norman have ever seen.

    Worked in my favour too, The wife was so mad at noel leming (were
    looking at 26" lcd's) we ended up getting a 32" with a soround system.
    The wife happily parted with the money because she knew noel lemming
    wasnt getting it. They gave us a wicked deal also - with intrest free -
    on GE card
    Andrew Lambert, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Rob

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
    >website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    >local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    >the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    >ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
    >seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
    >they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
    >with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
    >competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
    >prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
    >of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
    >business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
    >need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
    >guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
    >it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
    >home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
    >way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
    >about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
    >locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
    >day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.
    >
    >This is there price match statemen
    >FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    >WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    >Terms & Conditions:
    >Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    >advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    >Product compared must be in stock
    >Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    >Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
    >clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
    >offers or parallel imported product
    >Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    >radius of the store presented with the Price Promise

    Key word being "acknowledged".

    >Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    >will be matched).

    Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
    webstore. They don't have a "retail store".

    You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
    and mortar retailers. You can't have both.

    (Having said that, Ascent are pretty good to deal with).
    Fred Dagg, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Rob

    Shane Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE
    > card.

    Odd, they are the same outfit
    --
    Leela: No offense Fry, but you've become a fat sack of crap!
    Fry: Sack?!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    >>ascent
    >>website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    >>local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    >>the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    >>

    > Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
    > webstore. They don't have a "retail store".

    > You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
    > and mortar retailers. You can't have both.
    >

    >You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks and
    >mortar retailers. You can't have both.

    What benefits do a bricks and mortar retailer offer in this case, the
    product was boxed so I couldn't even see it. I was actually trying to
    support a local retailer in my suburb, as I often notice that this
    particular store is often not very busy when I pass by it. Alot of their
    stock was also very old stock, they still had a stack of the old white ipod
    shuffles that they are trying to sell. I have found in the US, retailers
    will bend backwards to match online prices as any sale id better then no
    sale at all.

    I normally use Ascent for my business purchases and they have been good, and
    they will get my business in this case to. Put simply it is easier to buy
    online and cheaper too, and they infact provide far more information than
    what a person working in the shop has any knowledge of.
    Rob, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Rob

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:24:22 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    exclaimed:

    >Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >

    >> No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE
    >> card.

    >Odd, they are the same outfit

    Still operated seperately, however.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Rob

    Peter Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    > into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

    Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
    Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
    (Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 13, 2006
  8. Rob

    thingy Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    >>> ascent
    >>> website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    >>> local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    >>> the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    >>>

    >> Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
    >> webstore. They don't have a "retail store".

    >> You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
    >> and mortar retailers. You can't have both.
    >>

    >> You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks and
    >> mortar retailers. You can't have both.

    > What benefits do a bricks and mortar retailer offer in this case, the
    > product was boxed so I couldn't even see it. I was actually trying to
    > support a local retailer in my suburb, as I often notice that this
    > particular store is often not very busy when I pass by it. Alot of their
    > stock was also very old stock, they still had a stack of the old white ipod
    > shuffles that they are trying to sell. I have found in the US, retailers
    > will bend backwards to match online prices as any sale id better then no
    > sale at all.
    >
    > I normally use Ascent for my business purchases and they have been good, and
    > they will get my business in this case to. Put simply it is easier to buy
    > online and cheaper too, and they infact provide far more information than
    > what a person working in the shop has any knowledge of.

    I agree, Ive been looking at a new Mac and wandered in there....they
    were the most expensive and their stock was old....I walked out
    again...years ago I stopped going in due their silly prices and old
    stock.....nothing has changed, probably wont be in their again for many
    years.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    >> As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    >> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

    > Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
    > Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
    > (Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)
    >

    > Peter

    Agreed, but they do employ local people. If noone buys from them, they would
    close that store.
    Rob, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Rob

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:17:13 +1300, "Rob" <>
    exclaimed:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>> As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    >>> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

    >> Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
    >> Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
    >> (Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)

    >Agreed, but they do employ local people. If noone buys from them, they would
    >close that store.

    Well, usually not.

    Closing stores would look *really* bad, and probably cost more than
    proping up underperforming branches.

    I think very few actually make any money.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Rob wrote:
    > I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
    > website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
    > local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
    > the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
    > ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
    > seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
    > they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
    > with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
    > competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
    > prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
    > of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
    > business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
    > need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
    > guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
    > it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
    > home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
    > way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
    > about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
    > locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
    > day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.
    >
    > This is there price match statemen
    > FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    > WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    > Terms & Conditions:
    > Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    > advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    > Product compared must be in stock
    > Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    > Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
    > clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
    > offers or parallel imported product
    > Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    > radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
    > Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    > will be matched).

    Commerce Commission they are really coming down on Invitations to treat that
    don't fulfill the statement

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Dec 13, 2006
  12. Rob

    Geopelia Guest

    Didn't some Asian crowd buy them out a while ago?

    What happened to that awful Deka lot? They seem to have disappeared.
    Geopelia, Dec 13, 2006
  13. Rob

    whome Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1165982489.384850@ftpsrv1...
    >I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    >ascent website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    >into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.
    >They had the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than
    >what ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I
    >had seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me
    >that they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a
    >retailer with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were
    >also their competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't
    >match their prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only
    >matched the prices of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would
    >therefore take my business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty,
    >so maybe they don't need my business. However when I looked at Noel
    >Lemmings price match guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how
    >they refused to match it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop
    >and they also offer home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this
    >with Noel Lemmings? The way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it
    >makes me think twice about trying to buy locally again. There was no
    >advantage for me buying locally as buying from ascent, it would have been
    >delivered to me the next day, and I never require the prepurchase help of
    >the shop assistant.
    >
    > This is there price match statemen
    > FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    > WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    > Terms & Conditions:
    > Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    > advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    > Product compared must be in stock
    > Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    > Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
    > clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
    > offers or parallel imported product
    > Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    > radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
    > Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    > will be matched).

    They are pricks. I bought a digital camera from NL in Tauranga but they
    would not match the price of the same camera advertised in the herald by a
    shop in Auckland.

    They did however go 1/2 way to matching the price and I did not want to wait
    until next time i was in Auck.

    Their price matching is a sham. In fact, please lay a complaint with the
    commerce commission.
    whome, Dec 13, 2006
  14. Geopelia wrote:
    > Didn't some Asian crowd buy them out a while ago?
    >
    > What happened to that awful Deka lot? They seem to have disappeared.

    didnt farmers buy out deka
    Andrew Lambert, Dec 13, 2006
  15. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >>I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    >>ascent website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    >>into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.
    >>They had the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive
    >>than what ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere
    >>else I had seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they
    >>told me that they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent
    >>were a retailer with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they
    >>were also their competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still
    >>wouldn't match their prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they
    >>only matched the prices of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I
    >>would therefore take my business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was
    >>empty, so maybe they don't need my business. However when I looked at Noel
    >>Lemmings price match guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how
    >>they refused to match it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop
    >>and they also offer home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this
    >>with Noel Lemmings? The way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and
    >>it makes me think twice about trying to buy locally again. There was no
    >>advantage for me buying locally as buying from ascent, it would have been
    >>delivered to me the next day, and I never require the prepurchase help of
    >>the shop assistant.
    >>
    >> This is there price match statemen
    >> FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
    >> WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
    >> Terms & Conditions:
    >> Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
    >> advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
    >> Product compared must be in stock
    >> Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
    >> Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes
    >> manufacturers clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade
    >> offers, trade-in offers or parallel imported product
    >> Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
    >> radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
    >> Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
    >> will be matched).
    >>

    > They are pricks. I bought a digital camera from NL in Tauranga but they
    > would not match the price of the same camera advertised in the herald by a
    > shop in Auckland.
    >
    > They did however go 1/2 way to matching the price and I did not want to
    > wait until next time i was in Auck.
    >
    > Their price matching is a sham. In fact, please lay a complaint with the
    > commerce commission.

    I'm pretty sure they don't claim to match special offers.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 13, 2006
  16. In article <>, f says...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    > > Didn't some Asian crowd buy them out a while ago?
    > >
    > > What happened to that awful Deka lot? They seem to have disappeared.
    > >

    > didnt farmers buy out deka

    No, the Tangata Whenua bought Deka with some Tiriti settlement money iirc.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 13, 2006
  17. Rob

    Geopelia Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Didn't some Asian crowd buy them out a while ago?
    >>
    >> What happened to that awful Deka lot? They seem to have disappeared.

    > didnt farmers buy out deka

    Maybe they did. Farmers has really gone downhill too. The Browns Bay Store
    is now just cheap clothing and very shoddily made shoes, home appliances
    have gone.

    It's very sad to see once respected shops either closing or ending up like
    some kind of cheap discount store.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 13, 2006
  18. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1165982489.384850@ftpsrv1...
    > >I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    > >ascent website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    > >into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

    Actually, this is bass ackwards. Ascent is a local retailer, Noel Leeming is
    some Aussie superstore outfit. Should've supported Ascent in the first place!

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 13, 2006
  19. Rob

    Earl Grey Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1165982489.384850@ftpsrv1...
    >>> I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
    >>> ascent website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
    >>> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

    > Actually, this is bass ackwards. Ascent is a local retailer, Noel Leeming is
    > some Aussie superstore outfit. Should've supported Ascent in the first place!
    >
    > -P.

    Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond are owned by Gresham which is owned by
    Wesfarmers a Perth based outfit who also own Bunnings, Protector,
    Blackwoods, NZSafety.
    Earl Grey, Dec 13, 2006
  20. Rob

    whome Guest

    >> They are pricks. I bought a digital camera from NL in Tauranga but they
    >> would not match the price of the same camera advertised in the herald by
    >> a shop in Auckland.
    >>
    >> They did however go 1/2 way to matching the price and I did not want to
    >> wait until next time i was in Auck.
    >>
    >> Their price matching is a sham. In fact, please lay a complaint with the
    >> commerce commission.

    > I'm pretty sure they don't claim to match special offers.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Who said anything about a special offer? Nonetheless, their terms do not
    exclude special offers so long as it is not a
    clearance/trade-in/ex-demo/parallel importd.
    whome, Dec 13, 2006