noel leemings and "new" laptops.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my Dad. We
    looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit his needs. I
    won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this model would have
    played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine is going to suit the
    needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with the specs or performance.

    The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off for
    some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a machine from
    the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to look at it cause I
    don't like buying others gear (especially at new price) and it had 3
    scratches across the front outside cover. I told the salesman that it was
    unacceptable and he said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor
    so I said I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
    accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone had
    already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a return as
    well.

    Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid a fair
    price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.

    Comments?

    cowboyz, Jun 27, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
    > Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
    > his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this
    > model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine
    > is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with
    > the specs or performance.
    >
    > The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off
    > for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a
    > machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to
    > look at it cause I don't like buying others gear (especially at new
    > price) and it had 3 scratches across the front outside cover. I told
    > the salesman that it was unacceptable and he said the only one left
    > was the one on the showroom floor so I said I'll look at that. That
    > one was fine. No visable damage so we accepted that one. Took it
    > home and set it up to fine out someone had already setup their files
    > and internet connection. So this is a return as well.
    >
    > Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
    > a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    > My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
    >
    > Comments?

    Who do you need to be on-side with more, your Dad or your Wife?

    Seriously, it'd be nice to get a discount, always is. However, if you've had
    it set up it's hard to prove it was already 'tinkered' with and the chances
    are you wouldn't get a discount anyway, they'd take it back and get you
    another one someday. (With no guarantee that *it* isn't a return as well).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    Daniel Guest

    I think your wife is right.

    Did you check for dead pixels?

    Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you paid for it
    was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know what the market is
    doing)

    Thanks.

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > I think your wife is right.

    So does she. Not only in this instance either.

    > Did you check for dead pixels?

    The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is excellent.

    > Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    > paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
    > what the market is doing)

    ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..

    It is a
    NEC I forget the model already
    P4 2.4
    256Meg ram
    intel gfx
    6USB
    smartcard reader
    DVD/CDRW combo drive
    15'' screen
    firewire
    10/100 nic
    56k modem
    Svideo out
    CRT monitor out

    I paid $1709.99

    It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but perfect
    for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work and wanted a
    machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired DVD movies.

    cowboyz, Jun 27, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    David Preece Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.

    I think you should take it back and demand someone eats it.

    Being more realistic, returning it (along with all the bits) and asking
    nicely for your money back is probably a better way to go. It's a laptop
    and it's been on display at a shop. At very least you'll be a few
    hundred hours down on the life expectancy of the backlight. At worst
    it's had an encounter with someone's fizzy drink that's gone un-noticed.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    David Preece <> wrote in news:7evDc.5025
    $:

    > At worst
    > it's had an encounter with someone's fizzy drink that's gone un-noticed.

    or a nasty trojan... Why didn't the shop re-image it?
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 27, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    John Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > > cowboyz wrote:
    > >> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
    > >> Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
    > >> his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get
    > >> "this model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the
    > >> machine is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at
    > >> all with the specs or performance.
    > >>
    > >> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5%
    > >> off for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and
    > >> got a machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I
    > >> asked to look at it cause I don't like buying others gear
    > >> (especially at new price) and it had 3 scratches across the front
    > >> outside cover. I told the salesman that it was unacceptable and he
    > >> said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor so I said
    > >> I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
    > >> accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone
    > >> had already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a
    > >> return as well.
    > >>
    > >> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
    > >> a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    > >> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
    > >>
    > >> Comments?

    > Daniel wrote:
    > > I think your wife is right.

    > So does she. Not only in this instance either.
    >

    > > Did you check for dead pixels?

    > The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is

    excellent.

    > > Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    > > paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
    > > what the market is doing)

    > ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
    >
    > It is a
    > NEC I forget the model already
    > P4 2.4
    > 256Meg ram
    > intel gfx
    > 6USB
    > smartcard reader
    > DVD/CDRW combo drive
    > 15'' screen
    > firewire
    > 10/100 nic
    > 56k modem
    > Svideo out
    > CRT monitor out
    >
    > I paid $1709.99
    >
    > It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but perfect
    > for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work and wanted a
    > machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired DVD movies.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Thats not a bad price. My experience with Noel Lemmings, is that they
    usually have to get what you want in anyway, as their store stock is ratehr
    limited. Especially with Sony products, they have to order it in, although
    with Sony it can take a number of weeks to come in, as they say sony are
    very slack.
    You should get the discount anyway, even if they don't have a new one in
    stock, they will order it in, as long as you pay for it now.
    I am sure if you take it back, they will order in a brand new one for you
    (unless it is the end of a line).

    John, Jun 27, 2004
  8. In article <cbn9ci$t49$>, "K T T" <> wrote:
    >Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
    >Leeming stuff.
    >
    >Not worth the paper they are written on.

    Y'reckon? I had half the keyboard fail on my laptop, and they honoured
    the extended warranty without a blink. I was damn glad I had it, too,
    since Compaq parts are horrendously expensive.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Jun 27, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    K T T Guest

    K T T, Jun 27, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    Daniel Guest

    K T T wrote:
    > Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
    > Leeming stuff.
    >
    > Not worth the paper they are written on.

    Yeah, I know.

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    Daniel Guest

    $1,710 for that aye? Sweet.

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    K T T wrote:
    > Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the
    > Noel Leeming stuff.
    >
    > Not worth the paper they are written on.

    Of course they tried to sell me that but the laptop comes with a 1 yr
    warrentee. Thats enough. I work on the basis that if it fails after a year
    then with the price of computer gear and the advance in technology you'd
    probably be looking at replacing it anyway.
    I don't go for any of those warrentee schemes since I got nabbed on a
    autosure cover because the car had to be serviced "by a certified agent" and
    the cost of servicing Vs doing it myself outweighed the cost of any repairs.

    cowboyz, Jun 28, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    Rob Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in message news:<Xns9515E3FE57FFAdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>...
    > David Preece <> wrote in news:7evDc.5025
    > $:
    >
    > > At worst
    > > it's had an encounter with someone's fizzy drink that's gone un-noticed.
    > >

    > or a nasty trojan... Why didn't the shop re-image it?
    > Ciao, Dave

    Yeah, I had dealings with Noel's over my wife's Compaq notebook. We
    had lots of probs and eventually they agreed to exchange it for
    another model of notebook (word to the wise: pay for the extended
    warranty!).

    We settled on a Sony Vaio but the only one they had left was the floor
    model, so I checked it all out and agreed to take it provided it had
    all the bits and the box. They even re-imaged the machine in-store
    while I waited.

    Rob, Jun 28, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
    >>> Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
    >>> his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get
    >>> "this model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the
    >>> machine is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at
    >>> all with the specs or performance.
    >>>
    >>> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5%
    >>> off for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and
    >>> got a machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I
    >>> asked to look at it cause I don't like buying others gear
    >>> (especially at new price) and it had 3 scratches across the front
    >>> outside cover. I told the salesman that it was unacceptable and he
    >>> said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor so I said
    >>> I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
    >>> accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone
    >>> had already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a
    >>> return as well.
    >>>
    >>> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
    >>> a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    >>> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
    >>>
    >>> Comments?

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> I think your wife is right.

    > So does she. Not only in this instance either.
    >

    >> Did you check for dead pixels?

    > The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is
    > excellent.
    >

    >> Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    >> paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
    >> what the market is doing)

    > ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
    >
    > It is a
    > NEC I forget the model already
    > P4 2.4
    > 256Meg ram
    > intel gfx
    > 6USB
    > smartcard reader
    > DVD/CDRW combo drive
    > 15'' screen
    > firewire
    > 10/100 nic
    > 56k modem
    > Svideo out
    > CRT monitor out
    >
    > I paid $1709.99
    >
    > It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but
    > perfect for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work
    > and wanted a machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired
    > DVD movies.

    Good price for a reasonable machine (except for the gaming thing). I bet it
    sucks the battery dry fast though. BTW that *is* one thing that would
    concern me about a returned unit, if the battery hasn't been 'cycled'
    properly the first few times it can be detrimental to it's later performance
    and life.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    Mutlley Guest

    (Matthew Poole) wrote:

    >In article <cbn9ci$t49$>, "K T T" <> wrote:
    >>Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
    >>Leeming stuff.
    >>
    >>Not worth the paper they are written on.
    >>

    >Y'reckon? I had half the keyboard fail on my laptop, and they honoured
    >the extended warranty without a blink. I was damn glad I had it, too,
    >since Compaq parts are horrendously expensive.

    Well worth it for a laptop.

    We took one out from Noel leeming on a IBM laptop about 5 years ago.
    It paid off with in 3 years the CDROM drive, Hard disk and CMOS
    battery had to be replaced and the OS reloaded once due to the system
    slowing down. For a desktop not worth it..

    Mutlley, Jun 28, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    Palm Guest

    "K T T" <> wrote in message
    > Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
    > Leeming stuff.
    >
    > Not worth the paper they are written on.

    You'd find that the consumer guarantees act covers the goods for a
    reasonable life of the product ... therefore even if the 1yr / 3yr warranty
    is finished could still take back to retailer. ..J

    Palm, Jun 28, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my Dad.

    We
    > looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit his needs. I
    > won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this model would have
    > played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine is going to suit the
    > needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with the specs or performance.
    >
    > The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off for
    > some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a machine

    from
    > the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to look at it cause I
    > don't like buying others gear (especially at new price) and it had 3
    > scratches across the front outside cover. I told the salesman that it was
    > unacceptable and he said the only one left was the one on the showroom

    floor
    > so I said I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
    > accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone had
    > already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a return as
    > well.
    >
    > Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid a

    fair
    > price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    > My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
    >
    > Comments?

    Bugger that. It's second-hand goods at the new price. Of course the shop
    demo would get used, with sales people playing round on them with different
    files etc.
    Dick Smith seem to have cheap enough Laptops... I saw a budget new Toshiba
    laptop for $1100 at Warehouse Stationery, with 128MB RAM it would be an old
    reduced model. Good enough for light needs - won't play Far Cry or any
    other Playstation games though.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 28, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > > cowboyz wrote:
    > >> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
    > >> Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
    > >> his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get
    > >> "this model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the
    > >> machine is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at
    > >> all with the specs or performance.
    > >>
    > >> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5%
    > >> off for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and
    > >> got a machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I
    > >> asked to look at it cause I don't like buying others gear
    > >> (especially at new price) and it had 3 scratches across the front
    > >> outside cover. I told the salesman that it was unacceptable and he
    > >> said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor so I said
    > >> I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
    > >> accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone
    > >> had already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a
    > >> return as well.
    > >>
    > >> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
    > >> a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
    > >> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
    > >>
    > >> Comments?

    > Daniel wrote:
    > > I think your wife is right.

    > So does she. Not only in this instance either.
    >

    > > Did you check for dead pixels?

    > The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is

    excellent.

    > > Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    > > paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
    > > what the market is doing)

    > ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
    >
    > It is a
    > NEC I forget the model already
    > P4 2.4
    > 256Meg ram
    > intel gfx
    > 6USB
    > smartcard reader
    > DVD/CDRW combo drive
    > 15'' screen
    > firewire
    > 10/100 nic
    > 56k modem
    > Svideo out
    > CRT monitor out
    >
    > I paid $1709.99
    >
    > It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but perfect
    > for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work and wanted a
    > machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired DVD movies.

    Sounds cheap for Noel Leemings.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 28, 2004
  19. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    >>> paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
    >>> what the market is doing)

    >> ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
    >>
    >> It is a
    >> NEC I forget the model already
    >> P4 2.4
    >> 256Meg ram
    >> intel gfx
    >> 6USB
    >> smartcard reader
    >> DVD/CDRW combo drive
    >> 15'' screen
    >> firewire
    >> 10/100 nic
    >> 56k modem
    >> Svideo out
    >> CRT monitor out
    >>
    >> I paid $1709.99
    >>
    >> It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but
    >> perfect for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for
    >> work and wanted a machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some
    >> hired DVD movies.

    > Sounds cheap for Noel Leemings.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thats why I brought it.

    cowboyz, Jun 28, 2004
  20. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message news:cbnut6$pq$...
    > Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
    > >>
    > >> ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
    > >>
    > >> It is a
    > >> NEC I forget the model already
    > >> P4 2.4
    > >> 256Meg ram
    > >> intel gfx
    > >> 6USB
    > >> smartcard reader
    > >> DVD/CDRW combo drive
    > >> 15'' screen
    > >> firewire
    > >> 10/100 nic
    > >> 56k modem
    > >> Svideo out
    > >> CRT monitor out
    > >>
    > >> I paid $1709.99
    > >>
    > >> It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but
    > >> perfect for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for
    > >> work and wanted a machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some
    > >> hired DVD movies.

    > > Sounds cheap for Noel Leemings.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge

    > Thats why I brought it.

    Yet you're complaining about buying a used demo model.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 28, 2004