Nobody's fault but mine. . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony, May 15, 2011.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    A long couple of days work has born fruit. The M4A88TD-V XP x64
    machine that I described as 'dragging its feet is speeding now.
    Although the updates sparked a little 'life' into the internal
    graphics, it was still running with absolutely no reserves. I stripped
    the box of all internals that took up any of the room left inside for
    the purpose of installing the nVidia 7900GTX which had also given me
    trouble before.

    This, because it is quite a long card and I couldn't fit it in
    previously behind the three HD's.

    The reason it was not performing was that I had put it in slot #2,
    since the manual confirmed this could be done, but that slot #1 was
    recommended for reasons of stabillity and performance.

    The HD's had to come out and be repositioned, not forgetting the
    possible temperature impact. It was difficult and slow going, and
    bloodshed ensued and small items disappeared inside several times.
    When the GF slipped into it's designated new home it broke a small
    plastic edge off of one of the SATA connectors - luckily the MB
    accomodates for 6 SATA drives so I could pull out the paralel three
    connector cable set and continue. I could finally close the box and
    power up, disable the internal graphics and install the GF drivers.

    I have to say, these new drivers are something of a wonder - and not a
    small one either, I left this card when the drivers nr:ed. in the 94's
    - this time it was 270.x. This system is purring now and there is
    nothing giving the slightest inclination that it cannot manage in idle
    with one hand on the back and sleeping with one eye. Wonderfull. If
    anyone out there is still using GF's I recommend these.The
    temperatures have gone up a little, from CPU 31 - MB 31C's to CPU 35 -
    MB 32C's. Job well done it would seem

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 15, 2011

  2. The grey No 2 slot has only x4 bandwidth, not the x16 of the blue No 1 slot.

    Dominic Payer, May 15, 2011

  3. Tony

    Drew Guest

    On 5/15/2011 10:44 AM, Tony wrote:
    > A long couple of days work has born fruit. The M4A88TD-V XP x64
    > machine that I described as 'dragging its feet is speeding now.
    > Although the updates sparked a little 'life' into the internal
    > graphics, it was still running with absolutely no reserves. I stripped
    > the box of all internals that took up any of the room left inside for
    > the purpose of installing the nVidia 7900GTX which had also given me
    > trouble before.
    >
    > This, because it is quite a long card and I couldn't fit it in
    > previously behind the three HD's.
    >
    > The reason it was not performing was that I had put it in slot #2,
    > since the manual confirmed this could be done, but that slot #1 was
    > recommended for reasons of stabillity and performance.
    >
    > The HD's had to come out and be repositioned, not forgetting the
    > possible temperature impact. It was difficult and slow going, and
    > bloodshed ensued and small items disappeared inside several times.
    > When the GF slipped into it's designated new home it broke a small
    > plastic edge off of one of the SATA connectors - luckily the MB
    > accomodates for 6 SATA drives so I could pull out the paralel three
    > connector cable set and continue. I could finally close the box and
    > power up, disable the internal graphics and install the GF drivers.
    >
    > I have to say, these new drivers are something of a wonder - and not a
    > small one either, I left this card when the drivers nr:ed. in the 94's
    > - this time it was 270.x. This system is purring now and there is
    > nothing giving the slightest inclination that it cannot manage in idle
    > with one hand on the back and sleeping with one eye. Wonderfull. If
    > anyone out there is still using GF's I recommend these.The
    > temperatures have gone up a little, from CPU 31 - MB 31C's to CPU 35 -
    > MB 32C's. Job well done it would seem
    >

    > Tony. . .

    When one's "box" purrs then life is good!!

    Drew, May 15, 2011
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On May 15, 8:32 pm, Dominic Payer <> wrote:
    > The grey No 2 slot has only x4 bandwidth, not the x16 of the blue No 1 slot.

    Sorry, no - this board actually do have 2 x16 slots. Apparently, it
    prefers to populate them in order. The difference is collosal
    (colloenormous?), well within bounds of that slot having been x4.
    Could be power consumption related. . .Don't know.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 15, 2011
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On May 15, 8:34 pm, Drew <> wrote:
    > On 5/15/2011 10:44 AM, Tony wrote:
    >

    > > A long couple of days work has born fruit. The M4A88TD-V XP x64

    > When one's "box" purrs then life is good!!- Hide quoted text -

    Correct! sweet, indeed. (He,he)

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 15, 2011
  6. The grey slot is an x16 slot but only has x4 bandwidth.

    There are some boards with only one x16 slot with that slot having only
    x4 bandwidth. Adequate for basic computing but not for gaming.

    Dominic Payer, May 15, 2011
  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    > There are some boards with only one x16 slot with that slot having only
    > x4 bandwidth. Adequate for basic computing but not for gaming.

    Yes, that is (or was) usually the case, I really couldn't afford
    buying anything at the time, but I had to and I saved two cores on the
    CPU to have the basic needs covered tirst. I don't know if I will ever
    go SLI or Crossfire but do know that chances are slim that I will ever
    need a x4 slot there.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 15, 2011
  8. Tony

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Never go either SLI or Crossfire.
    The added performance is less than the $$$ required for buying a
    single faster card.
    The newer card will run faster and require less juice than two cards
    working in parallel.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 16, 2011
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On May 16, 7:01 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Tony,
    > Never go either SLI or Crossfire.
    > The added performance is less than the $$$ required for buying a
    > single faster card.

    Yes, that expres just about the conclusion that I had arrived at.When
    one good card does the job there is little chance two will double the
    satisfaction potential.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 16, 2011
  10. Yes, it sure does make a difference!

    When I built this latest box, the change was night and day. And I don't
    game. But even for every day things it's huge. (Went from windows index of
    3.4 to 7.1!)

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 18, 2011
  11. Tony

    Carlos Guest

    On 18 mayo, 13:44, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Yes, it sure does make a difference!
    >
    > When I built this latest box, the change was night and day. And I don't
    > game. But even for every day things it's huge. (Went from windows index of
    > 3.4 to 7.1!)
    >
    > Charlie.
    >
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message

    Charlie,
    This is the first time I read about a positive comment regarding SLI/
    Crossfire.
    And I am compelled to believe it because it comes from you.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 18, 2011
  12. No! No Crossfire here!!!

    Just a brand new, moderately high end, single ATI/AMD video card. Not even
    really super high end. But the card cost more than the CPU (and it's an AMD
    1090 Black hex core.)

    Usually I run a 4 or 5 year old video. Heck, even when I buy them new
    they're usually two or three generations old, since my $$ limit for video
    cards was always $100, and mostly was more like $60-70. But this time, I
    splurged a bit. SSD, BluRay, the video card, and 16 GB of RAM to go with
    that hex core. Because I expect this box will end up getting morphed into a
    Server install, with Hyper-V running.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 18, 2011
  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Yes, don't we all miss the tree view? I noticed the web interface does
    have something they call tree view, but that just stack the posts
    differently. It doesn't really help following the development of the
    thread.

    My own experience was good, here. Now I'm facing a new sort of issue .
    how do I get rid of the Catalyst display drivers? Apparently those
    drivers incorporate stuff that relates to the MB as well, but when I
    try and uninstall them it seems it wants to remove the wole thing
    completely.

    No reall issue but I'm alreaddy tired of having it complain about
    missing card for their driver when I start up.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 19, 2011
  14. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Oh - I have to ask, Charlie: about SSD - I can understand they need a
    new kind of controller, is that integrated, like with IDE drives? Or
    will you have to buy that on the side?

    In a well built system, would you say that is the most impressive
    performance enhancement you have encountered?

    I ask since personally I have considered the consumer HD's (even the
    modern) to constitute the tightest bottleneck of a PC's system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 19, 2011
  15. Launch the Catalyst installer, select Uninstall and do a Custom, not
    Express, uninstall and select just the components you want to remove.

    Dominic Payer, May 19, 2011
  16. Tony

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Thanks for clarifying.
    I was rather confused.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 19, 2011
  17. Tony

    Tony Guest

    > Launch the Catalyst installer, select Uninstall and do a Custom, not
    > Express, uninstall and select just the components you want to remove.

    I am really wondering right now, what I have been looking at when I
    was in there before - everything is clearly stated, no possible open
    doors for misunderstandments, no leading the eye astray?

    I feel like Denny Crane: Is this Mad Cow?

    Thank you, Dominic.

    Tony. . .

    Tony, May 19, 2011
  18. SSD doesn't require anything but SATA controller. It's seen as just another
    SATA drive.

    Best bang for buck? Hmmm. probably the video card. The SSD is nice, but
    given I have 16 GB of RAM and I hardly ever reboot, it's not as big a deal.
    I have a gigantic cache.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 19, 2011
  19. Can't have that.

    I can't imagine a situation that would have me doing Crossfire or SLI here.
    That only makes sense for hard core gamers.

    Though I admit, I can imagine a scenario that had multiple cards. But only
    for extra video outputs so I could have additional monitors.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 19, 2011