    by step idea of how to go about it.

    Cheers

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Squirrel wrote:
    > Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    > message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    > by step idea of how to go about it.

    Huh? Please re-read your post carefully and see if it would make sense
    to you if you didn't write it.

    You want to add X-No-Archive so Google doesn't archive the post? (Yes,
    the X comes first since it isn't a standard header). If adding this
    header isn't supported by your client, simply put "X-No-Archive: Yes" in
    the first line of your message, Google will obey that command.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:

    >Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >by step idea of how to go about it.
    >
    >Cheers
    >

    >Squirrel

    Go to the Agent news group and ask..

    Tony, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:

    >Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >by step idea of how to go about it.

    Group -> Default Properties -> Post, tick the X-No-Archive box.

    Invisible, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, in message
     <>, Squirrel wrote:

    > Subject: No-X-Archive
    >
    > Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    > message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    > by step idea of how to go about it.

    1. Go to: Help -> Find

    2. In the find box, enter: X-No-Archive

    3. There are only 3 help pages to choose from,
    and "Release Notes" isn't the one you want.
    You should have no difficulty from here on.

    I guess the thing which confused you was that you were looking
    for "No-X-Archive" instead of "X-No-Archive".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

    Ralph Fox, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:40:15 +1200, The Other Guy
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >> message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >> by step idea of how to go about it.

    >Huh? Please re-read your post carefully and see if it would make sense
    >to you if you didn't write it.
    >
    >You want to add X-No-Archive so Google doesn't archive the post? (Yes,
    >the X comes first since it isn't a standard header). If adding this
    >header isn't supported by your client, simply put "X-No-Archive: Yes" in
    >the first line of your message, Google will obey that command.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    sorry was rushing out, but thanx for your help.

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:49:55 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >>message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >>by step idea of how to go about it.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>

    >>Squirrel
    >>

    >Go to the Agent news group and ask..

    shit I can be stupid, of course, thanx :)

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:05:16 +1200, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >>message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >>by step idea of how to go about it.
    >>

    >Group -> Default Properties -> Post, tick the X-No-Archive box.

    I had been staring at that screen for hours and never saw it doh,
    thanx for that

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:40:40 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:56:48 +1200, in message
    > <>, Squirrel wrote:

    >> Subject: No-X-Archive
    >>
    >> Need to beat someone at their own silly game, wish to add title to
    >> message headers, using Free Agent, can anyone give this dullard a step
    >> by step idea of how to go about it.

    >1. Go to: Help -> Find
    >
    >2. In the find box, enter: X-No-Archive
    >
    >3. There are only 3 help pages to choose from,
    > and "Release Notes" isn't the one you want.
    > You should have no difficulty from here on.
    >

    >I guess the thing which confused you was that you were looking
    >for "No-X-Archive" instead of "X-No-Archive".

    Thanx for your help :)

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 21, 2005
  10. X-No-Archive Haiku

    My words are for now.
    All I think are fleeting thoughts;
    Tomorrow I am dust.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > My words are for now.
    > All I think are fleeting thoughts;
    > Tomorrow I am dust.

    I like it. I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    time. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2005
  12. Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    In article <42e1d563$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    >pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    >time. ;-)

    Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:39:16 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <42e1d563$>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    >>pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    >>time. ;-)

    >Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    I have been archived for years, scooter like to dredge up history, so
    I am merely pissing him off, but sad not to be able to look back like
    I often do :(

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 23, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:33:20 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:39:16 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <42e1d563$>,
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    >>>pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    >>>time. ;-)

    >>Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >>afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >>afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >>afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    >I have been archived for years, scooter like to dredge up history, so
    >I am merely pissing him off, but sad not to be able to look back like
    >I often do :(

    Just remember, your replys, and replys to your posts will be there to
    be read in others posts that dont "X-No-Archive".

    Bret, Jul 23, 2005
  15. Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    In article <>,
    Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:33:20 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:39:16 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >>>afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >>>afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >>>afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    >>I have been archived for years, scooter like to dredge up history, so
    >>I am merely pissing him off, but sad not to be able to look back like
    >>I often do :(
    >>

    >Just remember, your replys, and replys to your posts will be there to
    >be read in others posts that dont "X-No-Archive".

    Sometimes also people do replies with nothing in them but the original
    posting, simply to override the X-No-Archive.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:50:53 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:33:20 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:39:16 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >>>afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >>>afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >>>afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    >>I have been archived for years, scooter like to dredge up history, so
    >>I am merely pissing him off, but sad not to be able to look back like
    >>I often do :(
    >>

    >Just remember, your replys, and replys to your posts will be there to
    >be read in others posts that dont "X-No-Archive".

    like I said, nothing to hide, just trying to piss a stalker off, I am
    sure that there is a way to make sure your replies to others are not
    archived, well so I thought I was told

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Jul 24, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <42e1d563$>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    >>pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    >>time. ;-)

    >Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    There's plenty of reasons why people use X-No-Archives Lawrence.

    It may come as a surprise to you, but Deja News & subsequently Google
    have nothing to do with usenet per-se. They didn't invent usenet, they
    don't own it, they don't fund public newsgroups, they don't make any
    of the rules of usenet. This NG for example is nz.comp, not nz.google.
    That newsgroup posts are archived by Google is merely a result of
    commercial opportunism, Google saw the chance to make a buck out of
    archiving NG posts so they took over from where Deja News left off.

    So while you obviously like the idea of having your words immortalised
    in print for future generations to read and be stunned by your
    greatness, some people keep it in mind that Google never asked if they
    could archive our posts for profit. Another truth is that newsgroups
    are for everyday people to use for social interaction. Very little
    said in NGs is worth archiving anyway. those who think their opinions
    are so important should take up journalism, politics,
    wanking...whatever.

    Having your posts archived by Google is not, and never has been, an
    integral part of using newsgroups. Anyone here who wants to set
    X-No-Archives on their NG client should have no qualms about doing so.

    As for people being afraid their words will come back to haunt them,
    grow up mate. I use X-No-Archives myself, and I'm well aware that any
    reply to my posts will be archived by Google if the respondent isn't
    using X-No-Archives. I'm also aware that Google aren't the only people
    who archive NG posts, there's plenty of organisations out there who
    permanently archive all posts including those with X-No-Archives set.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jul 25, 2005
  18. Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    In article <>,
    Gavin Tunney <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:39:16 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <42e1d563$>,
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've never used X-No-Archive myself as I'd hate for all the
    >>>pearls of wisdom that come tumbling from my keyboard to be lost for all
    >>>time. ;-)

    >>Precisely. The only reason I can think of for using it is that you're
    >>afraid your words will come back in the future to haunt you. I'm not
    >>afraid of having my mistakes pointed out to me in future. If you're
    >>afraid, why bother saying anything at all?

    >So while you obviously like the idea of having your words immortalised
    >in print for future generations to read and be stunned by your
    >greatness, some people keep it in mind that Google never asked if they
    >could archive our posts for profit.

    I've got news for you: copyright violations have nothing to do with
    whether a profit is involved or not.

    Another bit of news: people have been archiving USENET postings (without
    asking the posters' permission) since long before there were such
    services as DejaNews/Google Groups. That's how these services manage to
    have copies of postings made long before they ever came into existence.

    >Another truth is that newsgroups
    >are for everyday people to use for social interaction. Very little
    >said in NGs is worth archiving anyway.

    There's a whole science based around the study of stuff that people
    didn't consider important at the time, but which still managed to be
    preserved anyway. It's called "archaeology".

    >Having your posts archived by Google is not, and never has been, an
    >integral part of using newsgroups. Anyone here who wants to set
    >X-No-Archives on their NG client should have no qualms about doing so.

    As I understand it, X-No-Archive can only ever be a request, it cannot
    be a demand.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Don Hills Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >As I understand it, X-No-Archive can only ever be a request, it cannot
    >be a demand.

    Yep. Posting is publishing. The original poster retains copyright, of
    course, but cannot prevent anyone who receives a copy via the "normal"
    process for news posts from keeping it.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

    Don Hills, Jul 26, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    Re: X-No-Archive Haiku

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:37:22 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:50:53 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:33:20 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I have been archived for years, scooter like to dredge up history, so
    >>>I am merely pissing him off, but sad not to be able to look back like
    >>>I often do :(
    >>>

    >>Just remember, your replys, and replys to your posts will be there to
    >>be read in others posts that dont "X-No-Archive".

    >like I said, nothing to hide, just trying to piss a stalker off, I am
    >sure that there is a way to make sure your replies to others are not
    >archived, well so I thought I was told
    >
    >Squirrel

    I don't think so Squirrel :(

    Bret, Jul 26, 2005