    most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    that's the day God is sleeping !

    "On the seventh day He rested" you know.
    philo, Jul 23, 2006

  2. philo

    ogslotu Guest

    So........ Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 then?

    ogslotu, Jul 23, 2006

  3. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Yes, no wonder the world is so screwed up...
    > most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    > that's the day God is sleeping !
    >
    > "On the seventh day He rested" you know.

    Oh - now THAT was funny <g>

    Kind of like calling my office for customer service on the weekend. "Sorry,
    Charlie!" ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  4. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, philo Wrote The Following:
    > Yes, no wonder the world is so screwed up...
    > most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    > that's the day God is sleeping !
    >
    > "On the seventh day He rested" you know.

    As Man runs aimlessly on this planet with his superficial beliefs, he
    knows not of God.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2006
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    > > Yes, no wonder the world is so screwed up...
    > > most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    > > that's the day God is sleeping !
    > >
    > > "On the seventh day He rested" you know.

    > Oh - now THAT was funny <g>
    >
    > Kind of like calling my office for customer service on the weekend.

    "Sorry,
    > Charlie!" ;o)

    Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
    philo, Jul 23, 2006
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Without Any Hesitation, philo Wrote The Following:
    > > Yes, no wonder the world is so screwed up...
    > > most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    > > that's the day God is sleeping !
    > >
    > > "On the seventh day He rested" you know.
    > >

    > As Man runs aimlessly on this planet with his superficial beliefs, he
    > knows not of God.

    wasn't it Patton who said " there are no athiests in foxholes"
    philo, Jul 23, 2006
  7. philo

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:14:01 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> philo wrote:
    >> > Yes, no wonder the world is so screwed up...
    >> > most people who pray...do so on the Sabbath...
    >> > that's the day God is sleeping !
    >> >
    >> > "On the seventh day He rested" you know.

    >> Oh - now THAT was funny <g>
    >>
    >> Kind of like calling my office for customer service on the weekend.

    >"Sorry,
    >> Charlie!" ;o)
    >>

    >Who knows...maybe I'm right ?

    It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
    makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
    that, then it means most things could be impossible.
    If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
    impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jul 23, 2006
  8. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:14:01 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh - now THAT was funny <g>
    >>>
    >>> Kind of like calling my office for customer service on the weekend.
    >>> "Sorry, Charlie!" ;o)
    >>>

    >> Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
    >>

    > It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
    > makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
    > that, then it means most things could be impossible.
    > If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
    > impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

    Heh heh...it's getting way too deep for me <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  9. philo

    http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html

    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2006
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Without Any Hesitation, philo Wrote The Following:
    > > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    > >> As Man runs aimlessly on this planet with his superficial beliefs, he
    > >> knows not of God.
    > >>

    > > wasn't it Patton who said " there are no athiests in foxholes"
    > >

    > http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html
    >
    >'

    I guess it was not Patton.
    Also, as I read a bit on the subject I see that some theists...
    after seeing war from a foxhole...become atheists!
    philo, Jul 23, 2006
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > >Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
    > >

    > It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
    > makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
    > that, then it means most things could be impossible.
    > If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
    > impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

    I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion with a
    ten year old boy
    who said "God can do anything."

    First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock possible...and
    the kid of course replied "yes".

    Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy that even
    God could not lift it...
    and again the answer was of course "yes" >
    philo, Jul 23, 2006
  12. philo

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> >

    >> >Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
    >> >

    >> It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
    >> makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
    >> that, then it means most things could be impossible.
    >> If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
    >> impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

    >I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion with a
    >ten year old boy
    >who said "God can do anything."
    >
    >First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock possible...and
    >the kid of course replied "yes".
    >
    >Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy that even
    >God could not lift it...
    >and again the answer was of course "yes" >

    "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
    I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
    impossible.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jul 23, 2006
  13. joevan wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    >> <snip>

    >>> It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
    >>> makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we
    >>> accept that, then it means most things could be impossible.
    >>> If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
    >>> impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

    >> I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion
    >> with a ten year old boy
    >> who said "God can do anything."
    >>
    >> First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock
    >> possible...and the kid of course replied "yes".
    >>
    >> Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy
    >> that even God could not lift it...
    >> and again the answer was of course "yes" >
    >>

    > "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
    > I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
    > impossible.

    Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.

    :)

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
    that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 23, 2006
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.
    >
    > :)

    Or if not in language...understanding!
    philo, Jul 23, 2006
  15. philo

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:14:37 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> <snip>

    >>> I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion
    >>> with a ten year old boy
    >>> who said "God can do anything."
    >>>
    >>> First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock
    >>> possible...and the kid of course replied "yes".
    >>>
    >>> Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy
    >>> that even God could not lift it...
    >>> and again the answer was of course "yes" >
    >>>

    >> "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
    >> I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
    >> impossible.

    >Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.
    >
    >:)

    Truism.
    All language is flawed because it was invented by man.
    And more so by his attempt to speak it.
    Then someone invented the typewriter and books and ------
    Isn't this where the tower of Babel comes into play?
    At least we have a leg up today with the ability to translate a page
    of url with the click of a mouse.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jul 23, 2006
  16. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Without Any Hesitation, philo Wrote The Following:
    >>> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>> wasn't it Patton who said " there are no athiests in foxholes"
    >>>

    >> http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html
    >>
    >> '

    > I guess it was not Patton.
    > Also, as I read a bit on the subject I see that some theists...
    > after seeing war from a foxhole...become atheists!

    Having survived through hell on earth, they have nothing else to die for?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2006
  17. joevan wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:14:37 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:

    >>> "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
    >>> I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
    >>> impossible.

    >> Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.
    >>
    >> :)

    > Truism.
    > All language is flawed because it was invented by man.

    Language is flawed because it's flawed. Words are slippery. "If it can't
    be expressed in numbers, it's not fact, but opinion."

    > And more so by his attempt to speak it.

    Indeed.

    I can say "I love you" in several different languages, and I know most
    of the English (and several French) synonyms for the world "love." And
    yet I do not have any way to tell the person I love most in the world
    that it is so.

    After all, I also love flourless chocolate cake, black licorice, blue
    mountain coffee, and darjeeling tea. But I can't really imagine that I'd
    ever consider taking a bullet for them.

    > Then someone invented the typewriter and books and ------
    > Isn't this where the tower of Babel comes into play?

    No. Because even people who speak the same milk tongue seem to have
    difficulty communicating the vast majority of the time.

    > At least we have a leg up today with the ability to translate a page
    > of url with the click of a mouse.

    Well, yes, except then we all need language lessons from Yoda to
    understand the translation. :)

    I'm a multiversal pantheistic solipsist, except I'm not a solipsist, and
    I'm no longer sure if "many-worlds" is workable. That leaves me with a
    singular belief, and trying to bind the universe to my puny
    understanding of it all requires just a little more hubris than I
    possess.

    But I'm sure if I had the proper language, I could describe a scenario
    in which it is logically possible for God to pick up and yet not pick up
    the rock.

    One does wonder if Achilles ever made it to the finish line, eh?

    <grin>

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 24, 2006
  18. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim Wrote The Following:
    > philo wrote:
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html
    >>>
    >>> '

    >> I guess it was not Patton.
    >> Also, as I read a bit on the subject I see that some theists...
    >> after seeing war from a foxhole...become atheists!

    > Having survived through hell on earth, they have nothing else to die for?

    I can imagine it is very hard for anyone to believe in a God when all
    one can do is wonder why he would let something like that happen.
    The Bible that well prevent Atheism hasn't been written yet. A very
    clever bunch of bandits put together the ones that are on the market
    today.

    Old Gringo, Jul 24, 2006