No wonder I have high ping-times!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I got this today:

    **********************************

    "We have been investigating occurrences of high latency that have been
    apparent on international transit circuits over the last few days. Telecom
    has now confirmed this as a known issue, due to lack of provisioned Southern
    Cross capacity between Auckland and San Jose.

    Users may be experiencing higher than normal latency to some international
    sites, particularly those hosted on the west coast in the US.

    Telecom is currently working on provisioning an additional STM link on the
    Southern Cross cable network to San Jose. We do not have an official ETA for
    delivery of this bandwidth, but initial indications are that it will be
    available in approximately two weeks time."

    ***********************************

    And here's me wondering why I've lost a couple of fairly high-level
    hard-core characters playing on-line Diablo2 on the US West server recently.
    Hours and hours of gameplay went into developing those characters, gone now.
    It would have been nice to know earlier that there were problems, not just
    when I'm pissed off enough to start threatening to pull my account.

    "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on? Don't
    they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high enough profit.

    Grrrrrrr!!!!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    shannon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I got this today:
    >
    > **********************************
    >
    > "We have been investigating occurrences of high latency that have been
    > apparent on international transit circuits over the last few days. Telecom
    > has now confirmed this as a known issue, due to lack of provisioned Southern
    > Cross capacity between Auckland and San Jose.
    >
    > Users may be experiencing higher than normal latency to some international
    > sites, particularly those hosted on the west coast in the US.
    >
    > Telecom is currently working on provisioning an additional STM link on the
    > Southern Cross cable network to San Jose. We do not have an official ETA for
    > delivery of this bandwidth, but initial indications are that it will be
    > available in approximately two weeks time."
    >
    > ***********************************
    >
    > And here's me wondering why I've lost a couple of fairly high-level
    > hard-core characters playing on-line Diablo2 on the US West server recently.
    > Hours and hours of gameplay went into developing those characters, gone now.
    > It would have been nice to know earlier that there were problems, not just
    > when I'm pissed off enough to start threatening to pull my account.
    >
    > "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on? Don't
    > they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high enough profit.
    >
    > Grrrrrrr!!!!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.
    shannon, Apr 14, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on? Don't
    > they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high enough profit.
    >
    > Grrrrrrr!!!!

    Nah.....they need to arrange times / details with the folks in the US
    and - from experience - the systems in the US will be so complex and
    change requests so numerous (from all sources) that the implementation
    will likely be automated to as great an extent as possible....and there
    will be a limit to the number of changes that can be made in a given
    change "window"....

    So if your change is #56 and they only do a maximum of 25 changes per
    window.....then you'll have to wait until the 3rd window.

    That might be 3 hours, days, weeks......or worse.
    steve, Apr 14, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on?
    >> Don't they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high
    >> enough profit.
    >>
    >> Grrrrrrr!!!!

    > Nah.....they need to arrange times / details with the folks in the US
    > and - from experience - the systems in the US will be so complex and
    > change requests so numerous (from all sources) that the implementation
    > will likely be automated to as great an extent as possible....and
    > there will be a limit to the number of changes that can be made in a
    > given change "window"....
    >
    > So if your change is #56 and they only do a maximum of 25 changes per
    > window.....then you'll have to wait until the 3rd window.
    >
    > That might be 3 hours, days, weeks......or worse.

    Ok, thanks. Let me put it another way: Why didn't they see this coming and
    be prepared for it? Even I can extrapolate trends and get some idea of what
    to expect in the future, even factor in the impact of advertising etc.

    Let's face it, Telecom are just taking our money and providing the absolute
    bare minimum that will keep the populace from *demanding* that the commerce
    commision do something about them.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    Ron McNulty Guest

    So why have ping times almost exactly and consistently doubled? I normally
    see round 200ms to the firm's San Francisco server. Now it is consistently
    400ms. Are they sending it via NZ again? If it was a capacity issue, I would
    expect wildly varying times.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Apr 14, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:59:50 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > pull my account.
    >
    > "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on? Don't
    > they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high enough profit.
    >
    > Grrrrrrr!!!!

    OK genius, *you* show us how to use an unprovisioned STM link. Just 'cos
    you don't have a clue doesn't mean that it's simple.

    Steve
    Defending Telecom for probably the first time ever.
    Steve, Apr 14, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Jedmeister Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >I got this today:
    >
    > **********************************
    >
    > "We have been investigating occurrences of high latency that have been
    > apparent on international transit circuits over the last few days. Telecom
    > has now confirmed this as a known issue, due to lack of provisioned
    > Southern
    > Cross capacity between Auckland and San Jose.
    >
    > Users may be experiencing higher than normal latency to some international
    > sites, particularly those hosted on the west coast in the US.
    >
    > Telecom is currently working on provisioning an additional STM link on the
    > Southern Cross cable network to San Jose. We do not have an official ETA
    > for
    > delivery of this bandwidth, but initial indications are that it will be
    > available in approximately two weeks time."
    >
    > ***********************************
    >
    > And here's me wondering why I've lost a couple of fairly high-level
    > hard-core characters playing on-line Diablo2 on the US West server
    > recently.
    > Hours and hours of gameplay went into developing those characters, gone
    > now.
    > It would have been nice to know earlier that there were problems, not just
    > when I'm pissed off enough to start threatening to pull my account.
    >
    > "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on? Don't
    > they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high enough profit.
    >
    > Grrrrrrr!!!!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Don't blame your bumbling gaming skills on telecom. Take up a real sport.
    Jedmeister, Apr 14, 2005
  8. shannon wrote:
    > Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    > artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    not exactly via the US, but to the US, trademe have servers in the US
    that are getting the "de-peered" ISPs traffic, so rather than traffice
    going "you, US, Trademe, US, you", it is just going "you,
    trademe_US_servers, you"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    >> artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    > not exactly via the US, but to the US, trademe have servers in the US
    > that are getting the "de-peered" ISPs traffic, so rather than traffice
    > going "you, US, Trademe, US, you", it is just going "you,
    > trademe_US_servers, you"

    actually, they might only have images hosted there, I forget now.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  10. Steve wrote:
    > Defending Telecom for probably the first time ever.

    Dont make a habit of it... grrr.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Ping times are mysteriously back to normal this morning. Sounds more like
    configutarion than capacity problems.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Apr 14, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > Ping times are mysteriously back to normal this morning.

    Yes, unfortunate, that :)
    -=rjh=-, Apr 14, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:59:50 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> pull my account.
    >>
    >> "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on?
    >> Don't they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high
    >> enough profit.
    >>
    >> Grrrrrrr!!!!

    > OK genius, *you* show us how to use an unprovisioned STM link. Just
    > 'cos you don't have a clue doesn't mean that it's simple.
    >
    > Steve
    > Defending Telecom for probably the first time ever.

    You forsee the demand coming and get your shit together so that it's ready
    when you need it moron.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jedmeister wrote:

    > Don't blame your bumbling gaming skills on telecom. Take up a real
    > sport.

    LOL. You lay your hands on my back and heal it with your miraculous healing
    power and I'd be fucking more than happy to do that. Ecstatic even.

    If my gaming skills were that "bumbling" I wouldn't have high-level
    characters to lose would I Einstien?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > Ping times are mysteriously back to normal this morning. Sounds more
    > like configutarion than capacity problems.

    I sent in a few tracerts and pingpaths as requested yesterday. Maybe they've
    found and fixed a bottle-neck?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:16:32 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    > artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    Aren't Trademe directly peered at WIX and APE now?

    So if your (non Telstra) ISP still sends Trademe data via the US, I would
    have a word to them about peering exchanges.

    If your ISP is Telstra, well you have my sympathies.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 15, 2005
  17. AD. wrote:
    >>Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    >>artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    > Aren't Trademe directly peered at WIX and APE now?

    yes.

    > So if your (non Telstra) ISP still sends Trademe data via the US, I would
    > have a word to them about peering exchanges.

    those that peer should be fine, those that dont will go to Trademes US
    servers.

    > If your ISP is Telstra, well you have my sympathies.

    heh, indeed... not jjust Telstra, but also their downstreams.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:32:30 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >>>Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    >>>artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    >> Aren't Trademe directly peered at WIX and APE now?

    > yes.
    >
    >> So if your (non Telstra) ISP still sends Trademe data via the US, I would
    >> have a word to them about peering exchanges.

    > those that peer should be fine, those that dont will go to Trademes US
    > servers.
    >
    >> If your ISP is Telstra, well you have my sympathies.

    > heh, indeed... not jjust Telstra, but also their downstreams.

    Bunch of useless tossers
    shannon, Apr 15, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:32:30 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >>>Thats because all the Trademe traffic is going via the states to
    >>>artificially boost the gouging Telcos profits now they are de peered.

    >> Aren't Trademe directly peered at WIX and APE now?

    > yes.
    >
    >> So if your (non Telstra) ISP still sends Trademe data via the US, I
    >> would have a word to them about peering exchanges.

    > those that peer should be fine, those that dont will go to Trademes US
    > servers.
    >
    >> If your ISP is Telstra, well you have my sympathies.

    > heh, indeed... not jjust Telstra, but also their downstreams.

    My point was that those downstream ISPs should be peering at the exchanges
    anyway, and if not, why not?

    Make em squirm :)

    While we're on the topic, some of you might be interested in this:

    http://www.citylink.co.nz/After-5s-April2.pdf

    Maybe not for yourselves (you probably know all it about it already), but
    it could be worthwhile sending your boss along or other influential
    telecommunications purchasers :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 15, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:59:50 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> pull my account.
    >>>
    >>> "Telecom is working on provisioning...."? What's there to work on?
    >>> Don't they just pay the man and get the link? They make a high
    >>> enough profit.
    >>>
    >>> Grrrrrrr!!!!

    >> OK genius, *you* show us how to use an unprovisioned STM link. Just
    >> 'cos you don't have a clue doesn't mean that it's simple.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >> Defending Telecom for probably the first time ever.

    > You forsee the demand coming and get your shit together so that it's
    > ready when you need it moron.

    Sorry about calling you a moron. It was just a reaction to being between
    doses of painkillers and seeing you say I don't have a clue. Now that I
    realise that English obviously isn't your first language and you didn't
    realise I was asking questions in the post you replied to (That's what those
    '?' things mean) I realise I may have been a bit harsh.

    In this instance you are quite right, I don't have a clue about provisioning
    an STM link. However, I *do* have a few clues about how to run a good
    business. Planning ahead for the blatantly forseeable need for increased
    bandwidth is simply part of good business. However, this Telecom that you
    rush so quickly to protect don't *have* to practise good business techniques
    as they are a monopoly. If their clients don't like it what are they going
    to do?

    It may have been a bit more helpful if you'd given a brief explaination of
    what is involved in provisioning an STM link, and why it couldn't have been
    pre-arranged, instead of taking the condescending tone that you did. There
    was really no call for that, unless you have a superiority complex and it's
    an uncontrollable habit.

    By the "us" in your post (and using my deductive powers, noticing Dave
    replied to you familiarly and he used to work for Telecom) I take it you
    work for Telecom and have something to do with provisioning it. Can you give
    us any idea of when Telecom are going to meet their obligations on this one?
    Actually if you work for Telecom that would go a long way to explaining my
    theorised superiority complex that you may have. Being employed by an
    organisation that is totally free to do whatever it wants to without any
    recriminations, maybe even representing that organisation on occasion, could
    go to your head and overflow into your personal life.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2005