    i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have stopped
    and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.

    paul

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Oct 23, 2006

  2. To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits of
    the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants will
    prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running 'msconfig',
    disable any bits of the other programs that you find and re-boot.

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Hi
    In addition to the above check the settings of WZC and make sure that it is
    not set with security or other settings that do not match your Wireless
    Client.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 23, 2006
  4. thanks for your reply.....however, im not sure what to look for in msconfig
    or even what to do if i did find it. could you possibly elaborate on it??

    thxxx

    paul

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Oct 23, 2006
  5. When you load 'msconfig' it can look rather confusing. Select the final tab,
    the one named 'startup'. This lists every program that is loaded at startup,
    either from your startup folder or from the registry. It lists the name of
    the file and also under 'Command' gives the executable file and its
    location. Form those 2 aspects, you may be able to spot something that
    relates to your other wireless programs. If you do spot such items, untick
    the boxes on the left of the items in the list, click OK and re-boot. If you
    ever want to undo what you did, just reload 'msconfig', tick the boxes that
    you previously unticked and re-boot.

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Oct 24, 2006
  6. I have the same problem. However, I do not have any third party in the
    startup list.

    The problem occurs since two days ago. Another Windows XP on my computer has
    wireless working. The difference is that one do not have a rencent update
    from update.microsoft.com

    =?Utf-8?B?d2FuZ3hpYW9odQ==?=, Oct 25, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    permafrost91

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Same problem

    I'm having the same problems ... windows can't find any wireless networks in range for the last few days ... I fully updated everything via WindowsUpdate to no avail. Still cannot access any wireless networks.

    What's the problem? What's the fix?

    Thanks!

    permafrost91, Nov 5, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    FakerMcFakerson

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Here's my experience

    ~: The Wireless Zero Configuration services was set to Automatic and the service was set to control my wireless connections.
    ~: I could automatically connect to my wireless router, but could not VIEW any networks via the Wireless Zero Configuration controls.
    ~: There was no Third Party software installed for managing wireless connections
    ~: Having "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" CHECKED within the interface's driver allowed the adapter to connect to my router automatically.

    ~/~Having the EVENT LOG service Disabled was apparently the culprit in this situation. Having re-enabled it Wireless Zero Configuration can now view all networks that broadcast their SSID. Which was not the case beforehand.

    Hope that helps someone.

    FakerMcFakerson, May 10, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    jorlando

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Your answer surely helped me, Faker!

    Thanks a LOT! 8)

    I had the same problem, with an Atheros 5005B on my notebook (Acer Aspire 5102 wlmi)

    The problem started just after a driver update with the same simptoms:

    - Wireless button in the notebook turned on
    - Windows Zero Configuration service started
    - A popup baloon on the taskbar informing that networks were in range
    - Windows Zero Configuration could not find netorks in range error

    Solution:

    - start the eventlog service
    - restart the Windows Zero Configuration service

    Note: the eventlog service is NOT LISTED as dependence in Windows Zero Configuration service!

    The Atheros driver installer, by some unknown reason, stops the eventlog service and changes it from "Automatic" to "Manual"
    during the install and don't restart the service after finishing the install proccess.

    Since the service was changed to "Manual" restarting the computer won't solve the problem, you must open the Administrative
    Tools applet and open the Services tool, look for the eventlog entry and change it to Automatic and start it again. I restarted the
    Windows Zero Configuration service too, but I don't know if it is really necessary.

    jorlando, Jan 5, 2008