    set my roommate's computer to get through it; I can't get that far if it
    doesn't see any available wireless networks.

    Can anyone help (sorry if I'm a little incoherent)?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZC5mb3JtLmQ=?=, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Not too sure what your problem is! Yes it's an incoherent message, however
    try reading this following setup guide and see if it helps you to do
    everything in the correct sequence.

    How to wirelessly network a second or third computer without the expense of
    a wireless router: or a router and a stand-alone wireless access point (WAP).

    This is sometimes called an ad hoc wireless network. Building an ad hoc
    802.11b wireless network using the graphical user interface in Windows XP
    takes just a few minutes. Because it's powered by wireless zero
    configuration, you won't need to run a single cable or hunt for an electrical
    outlet! Add Internet Connection Sharing on the host computer and all
    connected computers will be surfing the net wirelessly in no time at all.

    We'll start with a single computer that already has a wired Ethernet
    broadband connection to the Internet. Then we'll build the ad hoc wireless
    network in three steps:

    1.The first step will be to install an 802.11b wireless card in the main
    computer and configure it as a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) wireless
    connection.
    2.The second step will be to install a wireless card in a second computer.
    3.To complete the network and provide connectivity to the Internet, Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS) will be enabled on the host.

    As you read through the procedures below, note that the accompanying images
    are captured from both the host and client computers and that the screen
    shots of the host computer contain a silver title bar, while the client
    computer screen shots contain a blue title bar.

    Configuring the Host Computer
    After you install an 802.11b adapter (such as an Orinoco or Cisco wireless
    network card) on a computer, Windows XP will automatically detect the card,
    install drivers, and display an icon in the notification area. If the
    computer is in an environment where other wireless networks are in range,
    Windows should display a list of available networks automatically. However,
    if no wireless networks are in range, the wireless connection icon may
    display a red “X†and may not automatically open a View Wireless Networks
    window. To open this window, click the icon for the wireless connection.

    Do not select an available network at this time if any are displayed in the
    Available networks listing. If your computer previously connected to a
    preferred access point, remove all preferred access points. This will ensure
    that a connection is made only to the ad hoc network that you are trying to
    configure.

    Next, click the Advanced tab at the top of the window. Select Computer to
    computer (ad hoc) networks only and clear the Automatically connect to
    non-preferred networks box if it is selected. This setting, along with
    removing preferred networks, ensures connection to the ad hoc network only.

    Click the Wireless Networks tab again. Under Preferred Networks, click Add,
    as shown in Figure 1. In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, specify
    a Network name (SSID). Use any name desired, but be sure to use it to
    configure all computers. Note that the network type is already marked as a
    computer-to-computer network and that this cannot be changed since it has
    already been specified that a connection should be made to only ad hoc
    networks.

    Wireless Equivalency Protocol (WEP) settings are not being configured at
    this time because it's easier to get an ad hoc wireless network running
    smoothly before attempting to configure WEP data encryption. The decision on
    whether or not to use WEP should be based on your environment. In most cases,
    for optimum protection and security, after your ad hoc network is running
    properly, you should return to Wireless Network Properties and specify WEP
    settings.

    After configuring the network name (SSID) in the Wireless Network Properties
    dialog box, the new ad hoc network will be displayed with a PC Card icon to
    designate that this is a computer-to-computer network.

    Note the red X. When a second computer is in range and the new ad hoc
    network is connected, the display changes to show a working
    computer-to-computer network without the X.

    Configuring a Client Computer Card in a second computer, the Wireless
    Networks tab displays a list of in-range wireless access points or ad hoc
    wireless networks, as shown in Figure 4.

    The new ad hoc network is listed (and is identified by the PC Card icon).
    Highlight the network name, and then click Configure. Because WEP will not be
    configured at this time, click OK.

    Sharing the Connection
    Now that a successful ad hoc wireless network has been created, we'll set up
    Internet Connection Sharing.
    1.Open Network Connections on the host computer. (Click Start, click Control
    Panel, click Switch to classic view, and then click Network Connections.
    2.Click the connection to be shared, and under Network Tasks, click Change
    settings of this connection.
    3.On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect
    through this computer's Internet connection check box.
    4.If you are not using a third party firewall and have not already set up
    the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), be sure to check the box enabling
    this feature. (Read more about why to enable ICF in an earlier column, Don't
    Let the Defense Rest.)
    5.Finally, optionally enable the setting to let other users control or
    enable this connection.

    After completing ICS configuration, the Network Connection window on the
    host computer will display the original wired Ethernet connection and display
    the status as Shared as well as Enabled. The Network Connection window on the
    client computer will display the connection on the host as an Internet
    Gateway.

    The client computer(s) should now receive a private class, non-routable IP
    address in the 192.168.0.* address range via DHCP from the host computer and
    should have full Internet connectivity.

    Configuring WEP
    As connectivity has now been established successfully, the next step is to
    return to Network Properties and configure WEP settings to ensure the best
    security possible for the ad hoc network.

    On the host computer, open the Wireless Network Properties dialog box and
    select the Data encryption (WEP enabled) check box. Consult the documentation
    provided by your wireless card manufacturer for the key format and key length.

    Use the highest level of encryption possible (key length) that is supported
    by your hardware and drivers. Using the latest drivers and firmware, Windows
    XP actually automatically detects that this hardware only supports 64-bit
    encryption and will not allow setting the key to 128 bit. Be sure that if you
    use an ASCII network key that you pick random characters and letters that
    can't be easily guessed. The final step is to use the same key and encryption
    settings and configure the client computer(s). Note: for additional security,
    consider changing the key on a regular weekly basis.

    Instant Private Networking
    Not only does ad hoc wireless networking provide a lower cost method to
    share an Internet connection than a more expensive wireless router/router
    plus separate access point solution, but it affords a fast and simple way of
    establishing a means to share data and documents for groups with no external
    LAN or Internet connection. With no available DHCP server, Windows XP
    provides an automatic private IP address between 169.254.0.0 and
    169.254.255.255 to network adapters. If you're sitting around a conference
    table with a group of colleagues and find that everyone is in desperate need
    of a Power Point presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of
    the room, setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
    allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
    network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with appropriate
    permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never have to wait again
    to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN to receive copies of
    urgently needed documents.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Feb 10, 2005

  3. I guess I didn't state my situation clearly enough.

    My gateway/modem/acess point is designed to brodcast wireless internet to up
    to 216 computers. It is connected to my computer via ethernet. The 2nd
    computer has access via a Microsoft wireless PC card. It has a working
    connection, and can access the internet. However, it does not list any
    wireless networks, so I can't use encryption. I would prefer not to leave
    the computer that unprotected, but if I reactivate the encryption, the
    computer cannot access the connection.

    Basically, what I'm really asking is: Why aren't any wireless networks
    showing up?

    Also, the computer in question does not appear to have WZC - or, more
    likely, I don't know where to find it. Otherwise it appears to be running XP
    SP2.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZC5mb3JtLmQ=?=, Feb 10, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZC5mb3JtLmQ=?=

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    WZC is a Service, Wireless Zero Configuration. If you open the Control
    Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and take the elevator to the
    ground floor, WZC is between Windows Installer and WMI Performance
    Adapter.
    One thing you didn't mention, is whether or not the laptop is a
    personal one or a corporate one. Corporate laptops tend to be locked
    down, so some services/features may not be available.
    If WZC is not running (started) there may have been a not in your view
    wireless network connection indicating that windows cannot configure
    this wireless connection etc. it will also refer to a KB article
    871122 on information about starting WZC.
    WZC usually gets stopped when we use the software that was supplied by
    the wireless NIC manufacturer.

    Instead of opening 'Available Wireless Network Connections' try your
    (?)Wireless WLAN Card Utility (that's what mine is called, yours will
    be different unless its a Dell). Check it to see if it has a option to
    'Let this tool handle your wireless settings' or the opposite. If
    there is an indication that this utility is in control, then this is
    where to configure WEP, or else tell the utility to let WZC have
    control by disabling the utility.

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 10, 2005