no wireless network were found in the range

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Hi guys

    I badly need the help. I have following system.
    WIndows XP
    Wireless card Atheros AR5001X+Wirelss Network adapter

    Now suddenly the wireless network show the following message with no
    networks shown to connect

    "No wireless Networks were found in the range.
    Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.
    To see an updated list click "Refresh Network list"

    When we click refresh, still no networks are shown in the list.

    There are definitely wireless network avilable, but my cmputer simply
    doesnot detect any.

    Can anyone help me to resolve this problem.

    Thankyou so much.

    Fellow need help.
    =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=, Feb 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=

    WLW Guest

    One of the things that just about everyone in networking is trying to
    encourage is for people who manage wireless networks to switch their access
    points from "Broadcast SSID Enabled" to "Broadcast SSID Disabled" for
    security purposes.

    If this is done then the wireless network does NOT show up in a Available
    Wireless Networks list unless you already know the SSID and manually add it
    to the list.

    Could this be what happened to you?

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Disabling the broadcast of a SSID provides no actual security from a
    potential attacker. It just makes it less visible. The only thing you can do
    is change the SSID so it doesn't make immediate association to your company
    or network. Make sure you change the default SSID. If you are not
    broadcasting the SSID, the wireless service in Windows XP won't detect it.
    There is no good reason not to broadcast a SSID.

    _______________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Eric Cross [MVP], Feb 16, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=

    WLW Guest

    Hi, Eric -

    > There is no good reason not to broadcast a SSID.

    Actually, sometime there really can be good reasons to broadcast an SSID. I
    have set up "Guest Wireless" networks at several places including companies,
    libraries, restaurants and coffee shops for customers, guests and transient
    workers to use. At one company it was in the conference room so that
    visiting salesmen could easily have Internet access to do demos. At another
    company it was in the accounting area so that the Auditors could hook up
    their laptops. In all of these we set the SSID Broadcast to enabled on
    purpose. We also put that whole wireless network on a separate firewall DMZ
    so that those wireless users had access to the Internet but not to the
    company network.

    Disabling the SSID broadcast may not be the ONLY thing to do to increase
    security on wireless networks, but it does keep the more simplistic
    "War-Wireless" roamers, and the kid next door, from easily seeing your
    network.

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Hi

    Actaully problem was very simple, as we found that some kids have turned off
    wireless LAN, by pushing a button specifically for WLAN on our keyboard.

    Once we turned it on, it worked back.

    Thankyou so much for support however.

    =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=, Feb 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=

    PopeElvisTheFirst

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Problem solved: no wireless networks visible

    Thanks for posting this! I had the same problem! No matter what I did, the "available wireless networks" that displayed were old ones that couldn't possibly be in range. The networks that were in range did not display. The list of available wireless networks just would not refresh no matter what I did. I fought with this thing for a while trying to figure it out. I resolved it thanks to this post. The solution lay with the F2 key on the keyboard. When I looked at my F2 key, I saw a circle with lines radiating from it: the WLAN icon. So I typed Function-F2, and the probem was resolved!
    PopeElvisTheFirst, Oct 8, 2008
  7. =?Utf-8?B?aml3YXQ=?=

    darchobe

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    "no wireless network were found" solved 100%

    I HAVE DELL XPSM1330,AFTER INSTALLING XP DRIVER A PROBLEM WITH WIRLESS CONNECTION APPERED,
    UNLESS INSTALLING MANY DIFFERENT DRIVER,I HAD CONFLICTION BETWEEN THEM. AFTER 2 DAYS IN GOOGLE SEARCH WITHOT ANY USEFULL RESULT,
    FINALLY I REMOVED ALL DRIVER FOR WLAN CARD, AND THROUGH DEVICE MANAGER NEW HARDWARE,I INSTALLED DRIVER ONLY
    FORM FOLDER THAT HAD R202964 UNXIPPED DRIVER(YOU CAN GOOGLEIT:becouse of my credit i cannot paste link :google:R202964 dell)
    AND UNEXPECTEDLY IT INSTALLED AND AUTOMATICALLY FIND THE WIRELEES NETWORK.
    PLEASE BE NOTICE THAT INSTEAD INSTALLING ALL OF THE 33 MB DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE ONLY USE THE DRIVER FOLDER OF IT (A SUBFOLDER PART OF THAT UNZIPPED FILE)
    IN THIS WAY YOU ONLY USE WINDOWS FOR MANAGING WIRLESS AND NO CONFLICTING CONTROLLER SOFTWARE INSTALLED.

    HOPE THAT THIS WORK FOR YOU( YOU MUST FIND YOUR SUITABLE DRIVER FOR YOUR HARWARE: MINE: DELL WIRELESS 1490 DULA BAND WLAN Mini-Card)
    darchobe, May 23, 2009