No wireless network or net sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. My problem: I cannot successfully set up a wireless network or have all PCs
    accessing the Internet, apparently since SP2 was installed.

    My set-up:
    I have a DELL desktop PC and a DELL laptop, both with wireless cards. I can
    connect them together using ethernet cables, but cannot do the same through
    the wireless router. I can also only get the Internet working wirelessly
    through one of them at a time. Router is a D-Link DI-524.

    When I try to set up the network using DHCP addresses from the router to the
    PCs I get the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and cannot even get
    Internet working at all. If I manually assign IP addresses I no longer get
    the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and can access the Internet from
    only one PC (currently the desktop).

    I have WEP encyption enabled and have triple checked that the keys are
    correct on both machines and the router.

    What I want to do:
    Set up a wireless network that connects the PC and laptop (and a third PC in
    time) together in a wireless network and have all computers able to access
    the Internet.

    Can anyone help please. I've tried searching through other online discussion
    groups - thus the manual IP assignments.
    =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=, Jun 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

    Guest

    Assuming your D-Link 524 firmware is up to date, I would suggest
    turning off WEP encryption and trying to make a connection to the
    Internet first. If that works, try turning WEP on. I once had a
    somewhat similar problem with WinXP that I could not connect to the
    Internet through the router (Netgear WGR614) with encryption on unless
    I first connected with it off. I think it had to do with running in
    mixed mode (802.11b and g), but it is no longer a problem.
    , Jun 15, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

    Clark Guest

    Does the 802.1x security setting ever cause a problem? It seems to be
    checked by default. Last night I could connect fine, but the systray icon
    had a red X. When I disabled the 802.1x protocol, the X went away. My
    router does not have that option, just my laptop.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 15, 2005
  4. It only works if I turn off the encyption and (really strange) if I leave the
    SSID as "default". If I change any setting and reconnect it reverts to
    "limited or no connectivity". I'm checking into a firmware update, but I
    can't identify one that I need on the dlink site. Really strange not to be
    able to even change the SSID.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=, Jun 16, 2005