    says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
    I always am - right next to the network!
    How can I get back on?

    =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=, Oct 25, 2004

  2. You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
    follow the wizard.
    If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
    adapter, connection type. etc.)

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
    in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
    connected...

    =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=, Oct 26, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

    Dana Brash Guest

    Hi Operaflute,

    It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system is
    picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open wireless
    network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's SSID
    will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
    your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
    During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.

    --
    HTH,
    =d=

    Dana Brash
    MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

    Dana Brash, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Thing is, it is not detecting anything at all...
    Ssays there ARE no networks.

    =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Nope - as far as my computer thinks, there is nothing to connect to!

    =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=, Oct 26, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

    Dana Brash Guest

    If that's the case, then the 'Wireless Network Connection' listed in your
    Network Connections simply needs to be configured. The fact that it's there
    is just telling you you have the hardware and drivers installed. You still
    need to configure the connection.

    Right click the Wireless Network Connection, go to Properties.
    Select the Wireless Networks tab. Click on 'View WIreless Networks' to see
    if you can automatically find your Wireless connection (SSID Broadcast is
    ON), and if not, select the Add button under preferred Networks. You can
    then configure the appropriate connection and security settings.

    IF you made changes to the AP and don't remember what they are, you should
    be able to find the 'reset' switch on your AP to reset it to out of the box
    settings and then follow the manufacturers instructions to get connected.

    Dana Brash, Oct 27, 2004
  9. You still havn't told us anything about your hardware. Firmware updates are
    sometimes critcal.
    In cases like yours I have uninstalled all networking devices and protocols
    and started over, usually with success.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 27, 2004
  10. Hi Huge,

    I'm basically having the same problem. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron
    700m Laptop and it has everything installed including Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
    WLAN (802.11b) mini-PCI Internal Wireless. I keep getting the same message
    that "No wireless network found in range." But it also states, "Check to see
    if computer's wireless switch is turned on." How do you check this?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FsdmluIFdpbGJvbg==?=, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Only my close prsonal friends call me "Huge".
    Same question which Operaflute doesn't want to answer: tell us about your
    connection and hardware. Cable? DSL? Router? AP?
    I enjoy trying to answer these questions, but the information we request is
    critical to the answer.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 29, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

    Dana Brash Guest

    Whaddya know, just stumbled across a similar problem: Come home from a
    weekend away and nothing's connecting anymore. No settings changed, but I
    did have everything powered off for a couple days. Wouldn't surprise me if
    that wasn't the first reset of the AP in a few months, and lo'and behold, I
    come back and I'm also not detecting any networks.

    I reviewed my settings, (none of which had changed) and turned on logging.

    I have a Linksys WAP54G router. I was running firmware version 1.09.01. I
    am now running 2.07. I am now connected.

    Best I can figure, is that the old firmware version on the Linksys wasn't
    fully compatible with XP SP2, and the reset triggered the differences into
    place. Another possibility is that the power on/off managed to corrupt the
    image on the AP somehow and, despite all the settings looking fine, was
    therefore unable to connect.

    This is a great example of Hugh being right: we really should know more
    about your harware and environment to provide helpful info.

    Dana Brash, Oct 31, 2004
  13. =?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

    JRB Guest

    You do not say .. or I have missed it .. whether you are Running
    Windows XP SP2. If so, check that you really do want Windows to
    configure your Wireless Network Settings; because I found that when I
    installed SP2, Microsoft decided that it could manage my network
    better that me, or my previously installed utilities.

    I am using the BT suite of network management software for a Voyager
    2000 and wirless network, and found that Windows had disabled the
    management utility in preference replacing it with it's own wizards!

    By unchecking the box marked "Use Windows to configure my Wireless
    Network Settings" within the Wirless Network Conection Properties
    advanced settings fixed my problems. Good old Microsoft :)

    JRB

    JRB, Oct 31, 2004