No wireless connection before logging into Windows

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Code Developer, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. I have an Asus WL-138G PCI wireless network card installed in a Windows 2000
    PC (latest service packs & patches installed), with the wireless card using
    the Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g wireless driver (for some reason, Windows
    update has installed this driver over the Asus wireless card driver, but
    this seems to make no difference to the scenario I describe below anyway -
    I've tried both drivers and both have exactly the same configuration
    property page).

    I've configured the wireless card driver (accessed through Network & Dialup
    Connections / right-click on LAN connection 1 / Properties / Configure /
    switch to 'Advanced' tab). This tab contains all the necessary setup info
    such as SSID, Wep keys etc which are all set up correctly. However the
    wireless card will not connect simply using this information, but will only
    connect when the Asus control centre utility is running. The same setup
    information is entered separately in this utility, exactly is it is in the
    driver's property page.

    This means that no network connection is available until the Asus control
    centre is running, and the control centre utility does not start up until I
    log into windows. I would like to establish the connection *before* logging
    into windows (as soon as Windows 2000 boots up, as would be the case with a
    wired network).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Shaun.