  1. At Last!

    Somebody else whohas the sma problem as me, ive heard that if you remove the
    Q815485 fix then it should work.
    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keQ==?=, Oct 7, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YW5keQ==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    SP2 supercedes the Q815485 so uninstalling it should not change anything.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 7, 2004

  3. Hi there,

    After many others I had the unpleasant experience that after installing SP2
    my notebook can't find no WLAN network anymore:

    -Samsung P35 with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
    - after deinstalling SP2 same problems
    - no updates available for the drivers (none I could find)
    - I tried several tips offered in this forum like stopping the WLAN
    configuration service etc.

    the problem is that the WLAN card won't see the AP (its not a IP problem) -
    after a reboot I get sometimes a very low signal but then its gone.

    Any help would be appreciated because right now I have no idea except to
    reinstall Windows which is not a good option.

    Peter
    Peter Monadjemi, Oct 7, 2004
  4. I just found that my WLAN card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PCI Adapter is
    not supported under SP2:

    http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2011b/pciadapter/sb/CS-010574-prd819.htm

    the problem is that the WLAN adapter is always off and can't be turned on.

    I would think thats not very nice for a notebook that I bought a couple of
    months ago.

    Why didn't Microsoft take this into account for SP2 because this WLAN
    adapter is probably very common.

    But may be I can try to use an external adapter.

    Peter

    Peter Monadjemi, Oct 7, 2004
  5. I saw that in Intel site too, but for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN
    PCI Adapter. Yours and mine is 2100 3B LAN mini pci, does it make any
    difference? I couldn't find any information about that one.

    Vasco

    Vasco Calais Pedro, Oct 9, 2004
  6. No i didnt make a difference- i ahve got the netgear WG311V2 adapter and it
    still doesnt work so if anybody has remedied it can they tell me how please
    becasue im at a loss

    Cheers

    Andy

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keQ==?=, Oct 11, 2004
  7. Basically, some wireless adapers are buggy. In many cases the vendors have
    released newer drivers for them (this should always be a vendor option).
    Windows calls various functions in the driver to probe for the driver's
    capability (including WPA). Some older drivers respond badly to those
    function calls and the driver freaks out and stops working (it puts the
    driver into a bad state).

    In particular, there was a range of Intel drivers that behave badly with
    XPSP2 and some of those ship as "in-box" drivers on CD's or pre-installed
    images that come with various laptops. If you have problems after installing
    XPSP2, it may be due to a driver bug and you should definititely install the
    "latest" drivers.

    In the case where there is NOT a "latest driver" that resolves this
    particular driver bug, you can purchase a new NIC. In many (most?) cases,
    however, there should be a driver update that fixes the problem.

    You should NOT uninstall XPSP2 as Intel suggests, since all future updates
    to windows will probably have the same behavior. If you run XPSP2 and other
    updates, you will be more secure, get more features, etc. However, XPSP2
    does not update many (any?) drivers automatically, so you must go to the
    hardware vendor's website to get the update (either the laptop vendor or the
    NIC vendor).

    Sorry for the bad news. I hope this helps you find a solution to the
    problem. Older hardware is usually only 802.11b anyway, so newer hardware
    should be faster with better security capabilities.

    One more thing - In many cases, you have the option of turning OFF the
    windows wireless client and using the wireless hardware vendor's client.
    This might be Intel ProSet in this case. Using the vendor's software for
    legacy (unmaintained) hardware might help you fix the problem until you are
    ready to upgrade your NIC.

    -Carl

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Oct 14, 2004
  8. Thanks for the suggestions.

    My problem is right now that even after uninstalling SP2 my WLAN (Intel(R)
    PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini-PCI-Adapter) adapter is TURNED OFF and I have
    no way turning it on again.

    I am also using the Intel ProSet tool which says that the adapter is OFF and
    the ON button is deactivated.

    Right now I don't have any choice then reinstalling Windows XP completely.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Peter Monadjemi, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Hey, I did a BIOS update for my Samsung P35 and at least got the WiFi
    connection back with SP1.

    Peter Monadjemi, Oct 18, 2004
  10. I've got an Acer 291lci running SP2 and I too cannot get my wireless network
    to be recognised (other computers can). After no joy from Acer I found this
    discussion and went to the Intel web site to download the latest drivers for
    the Intel PRO/Wireless Lan 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. But that adapter was not
    listed - only the 2200. I telephoned Intel who said that I shouldn't download
    drivers from their site but from Acer's! Acer knew nothing of the problem and
    were no help at all.

    So where does that leave me? Do I have to uninstall SP2? Surely Microsoft or
    Acer should supply drivers that work with SP2?

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWg=?=, Feb 21, 2005