    I use an Hannspree 32"YT07 as monitor.

    Greetings,

    Wilfried Spierenburg
    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 23, 2007

  2. wilfried spierenburg

    Paul Guest

    wilfried spierenburg wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I've got the following problem:
    >
    > my monitor has a maximum resolution of 1024 by 768
    > After a fresh install of win xp sp2 I get the boot info, but as soon as
    > windows kicks in i get 'no signal' on my monitor.
    >
    > I use a Dell optiplex GX270.
    > Sometimes, when I hit f8 and go for safe mode, i can log in.
    >
    > Is it possible to force winXP to switch to monitor and a givven resolution?
    > I allready set all mentioned resolutions in the registry to 1024,768.
    >
    > What else can I do?
    >
    > I use an Hannspree 32"YT07 as monitor.
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Wilfried Spierenburg

    I found a manual here, but it doesn't contain a pinout or any technical
    details worth mentioning. Native = 1366x768. VGA = 1280x1024 max, HDMI = 1024x768
    (HDMI may support 720p 1280x720 as well, but the manual doesn't mention that).

    http://europe.hannspree.net/filectrl/YTseries_32-37inch_UM_EN.pdf

    OK, so how are monitors detected ?

    1) On a VGA 15 pin connector, there are three color signals RGB.
    When a VGA device connects to the computer video card, the 75 ohm loading
    of each color signal, is detected by the video card. That is one
    way it can ascertain a device is connected. (I've made a VGA dongle,
    with 15 pin connector, three 75 ohm resistors on R, G, and B, and that
    fools the video card into thinking a VGA monitor is connector. I didn't
    need to fake DDC and EDID, to keep it happy.)

    2) Video cards seem to have a preference for certain connectors on
    the faceplate. The composite/Svideo output on the video card, may
    not be usable separately, without some other monitor connected to the
    video card. I haven't seen a workaround for that kind of issue.
    The Display control panel, may contain a "force detection" option,
    to make composite/S-video work properly.

    3) The video card connectors have access to a serial data interface.
    In this web page, the signals are SDA and SCL (serial data, serial clock).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

    The interface is called DDC or DDC/CI, and the information carried is
    EDID.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

    That is how Windows would normally acquire information about the
    display. To test for EDID information flow, try this program.
    For example, with a usable display connected, check the EDID.
    Then, unplug and try the LCD TV VGA connector, and rerun this program.

    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

    4) On some LCD TVs, the scheme is, the HDMI connector has DDC, but
    the VGA connector does not. Which is perfectly useless for computer
    users. The VGA really needs DDC on it, in order to be classed
    as "Plug and Play". A monitor interface cannot be PNP if it doesn't
    have DDC and some EDID information to offer. The computer cannot
    guess the monitor characteristics, if it is missing. Which means
    the LCD TV manufacturer's information is a bold-faced lie.

    5) On the computer, when a display device does not provide resolution
    information automatically, you can use a "monitor driver". This is
    a simple file, that contains a statement about maximum resolution.
    When I look in the Display Control Panel, I can see my display
    identified by the text string identifier in this file. Using this file is a
    partial substitute for missing DDC and EDID. If the Display Control
    panel offers this monitor in the pull-down menu, this provides a
    way for Windows to know the characteristics of the monitor. In this
    case, Windows knows 1280x1024 is the max resolution. (Note - This INF
    file would need a lot of hacking, to be used to fix a resolution problem.
    It cannot be applied as currently constructed. I'm showing this, to
    show some of the registry items used.)

    ******* NL1765.inf for my 17" computer monitor *******

    ; NL1765.INF
    ; Setup information file for NEC LCD1765 Monitor
    ;
    ; Copyright 2003, NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display, Inc.
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [Version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Monitor
    ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%NMD%
    CatalogFile=nl1765.cat
    DriverVer=04/08/2003,3.04.0008.1614

    [ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\NEC6621

    [ClassInstall32]
    AddReg=ClassAddReg32

    [ClassAddReg32]
    HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%
    HKR,,Icon,,"-1"
    HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

    [DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir = 11
    NEC-LCD1765.CopyFiles = 23

    [SourceDisksNames]
    1=%NMDDiskLabel%,,,

    [SourceDisksFiles]
    nl1765.icm=1

    ; Manufacturers
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [Manufacturer]
    %NMD%=NMD

    ; Manufacturer sections
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [NMD]
    %NEC-LCD1765%=NEC-LCD1765.Install, Monitor\NEC6621

    ; Install Sections
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [NEC-LCD1765.Install]
    DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
    AddReg=NEC-LCD1765.AddReg, 1280, DPMS
    CopyFiles=NEC-LCD1765.CopyFiles

    ; AddReg & DelReg sections
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [DEL_CURRENT_REG]
    HKR,MODES
    HKR,,MaxResolution
    HKR,,DPMS
    HKR,,ICMProfile

    ; Pre-defined AddReg sections
    [1280]
    HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280,1024"

    [DPMS]
    HKR,,DPMS,,1

    ; Model AddReg sections
    [NEC-LCD1765.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-75.0,+,+"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"nl1765.icm"

    ; CopyFiles section
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [NEC-LCD1765.CopyFiles]
    nl1765.ICM

    ; User visible strings
    ;-------------------------------------------------
    [Strings]
    MonitorClassName="Monitor"
    NMD="NEC-Mitsubishi"
    NMDDiskLabel="NEC-Mitsubishi Monitor Installation Disk"
    NEC-LCD1765="NEC LCD1765"
    ******************* End of NL1765.inf ********************

    This Gefen box, has the capability to copy the EDID from
    a working monitor. Then, when the Gefen box no longer has its 5V
    supply connected, it becomes a read-only source of EDID
    info to fool the computer. Unfortunately, this only has
    a DVI-I connector, so to work with VGA, you'd need some
    adapters of some sort. For VGA this would be a cabling
    nightmare.

    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378
    http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3055

    The idea there would be, to copy display data which would
    work with the LCD TV. Then when the LCD TV is connected,
    and the Gefen box is in-line, when the computer goes to read
    the EDID information, it gets the pre-recorded EDID
    that was stored in the EEPROM inside the Gefen box.

    The subject gets a bit complicated, and I'm surprised there
    aren't more solutions out there to fix it. Perhaps Gefen has
    a patent on their box, that prevents others from making one.

    While it would be humorous to contact Hannspree technical support,
    and listen to them try and explain why their stuff doesn't work,
    you probably won't get a working solution from them.

    All I can suggest at this point, is to use the "moninfo" program
    from Entechtaiwan, to see if any EDID is present on the LCD TV
    interface.

    As for the BIOS displaying on the LCD TV, there are similar issues
    with regard to EDID and VESA modes. They might account for the
    BIOS not being visible. BIOS screen issues are not influenced by
    the problems in Windows, because Windows is not loaded at that
    point.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 23, 2007

  3. Hello Paul,

    thank you for your explanation and options.
    I'll hook up my scope, try the monitor interrogation program and report back

    Wilfried

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht news:fi7hpj$v3f$...

    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 24, 2007
  4. well,

    this helped:
    > For example, with a usable display connected, check the EDID.
    > Then, unplug and try the LCD TV VGA connector, and rerun this program.
    >
    > http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

    I used moninfo from my laptop
    Data appended at the end.
    Th HannSpree appears to be PnP.

    the dell gx270 still gives problems, even after connecting an dell monitor.
    took the bios battery out, that helped.
    re-installed windows xp inc sp2 from dell cd.
    that runs till second reboot ie the first from harddisk
    and setting up users.

    did some searching as to what chip set should be loaded for XP, as xp
    reported no info for sound video and network
    I appear to have intell 82865G set

    xp found the intel pro/1000 mt network connection
    xp found the soundmax integrated digital audio

    did not find the vga graphics card: so i started up ie to check with intell.
    msn loaded, off went the monitor.

    reboot
    go to intel
    search 82865g chipset drivers
    download latest 865g set driver.
    install, reboot.

    the adapter works!

    well, here is the load from moninf.

    Paul: Thank you!.

    Wilfried

    Monitor
    Windows description......... Plug en Play-monitor
    Manufacturer description.... YT07
    Manufacturer................ Harsper
    ----------------------------
    Plug and Play ID............ HSP4C54
    Serial number............... 32HT064700011
    EDID data source............ I2C bus (real-time)
    ----------------------------
    Manufacture date............ 2006, ISO week 47
    EDID revision............... 1.3
    Display type and signal..... Analog 0.700,0.300 (1.0V p-p)
    Sync input support.......... n/a
    Screen size................. 700 x 390 mm (~33")
    Power management............ Standby

    Color characteristics
    Display gamma............... 1,00
    Red chromaticity............ Rx 0,648 - Ry 0,331
    Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0,290 - Gy 0,610
    Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0,148 - By 0,073
    White point (default)....... Wx 0,273 - Wy 0,275

    Timing characteristics
    VESA GTF support............ Not supported
    Horizontal scan range....... n/a
    Vertical scan range......... n/a
    Video bandwidth............. n/a
    Extension blocks............ n/a
    Timing recommendation #1.... 1366x768 at 60Hz
    Modeline................ "1366x768" 82,000 1366 1398 1462 1708 768 769
    772 800 +hsync +vsync

    Standard timings supported
    640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
    640 x 480 at 60Hz - VESA
    640 x 480 at 72Hz - VESA
    640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
    640 x 480 at 85Hz - VESA
    720 x 400 at 70Hz - IBM VGA
    800 x 600 at 56Hz - VESA
    800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
    800 x 600 at 70Hz - VESA
    800 x 600 at 72Hz - VESA
    800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
    800 x 600 at 85Hz - VESA
    1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
    1024 x 768 at 70Hz - VESA
    1024 x 768 at 75Hz - VESA
    1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
    1366 x 768 at 60Hz - Harsper

    Raw EDID base
    00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 22 70 54 4C 0B 00 00 00
    10: 2F 10 01 03 00 46 27 00 8A 35 32 A6 54 4A 9C 26
    20: 12 46 46 AF CE 00 45 59 31 59 81 80 45 40 45 4A
    30: 45 4F 31 40 31 4F 08 20 56 56 51 00 20 30 20 40
    40: 13 00 BA 88 21 08 02 1E 00 00 00 FA 00 00 2A 40
    50: 07 F8 33 02 CA 94 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FF 00 33
    60: 32 48 54 30 36 34 37 30 30 30 31 31 00 00 00 FC
    70: 00 59 54 30 37 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 AA

    Display adapter
    Adapter description......... RADEON IGP 320M
    Adapter device ID........... 0x43361002
    Display settings............ 1024x768, 32bpp

    User/computer information
    Windows version ............ Windows XP
    Windows build .............. 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    Installation date .......... n/a

    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 26, 2007
  5. hmmmm,

    in the end I removed the new large sata drive and re-installed tge old 40
    gig drive.
    Apparently the 300 gig sata took to much juice. the gx270 went down in the
    middle of any task.
    now its been running stable for 20 hours, no video problems either.

    I'm satisfied.

    Where to file this?
    RTFM, tanstaafl, don't change a winning team?

    greetings,

    Wilfried

    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 26, 2007
  6. wilfried spierenburg

    Paul Guest

    wilfried spierenburg wrote:
    > hmmmm,
    >
    > in the end I removed the new large sata drive and re-installed tge old 40
    > gig drive.
    > Apparently the 300 gig sata took to much juice. the gx270 went down in the
    > middle of any task.
    > now its been running stable for 20 hours, no video problems either.
    >
    > I'm satisfied.
    >
    > Where to file this?
    > RTFM, tanstaafl, don't change a winning team?
    >
    > greetings,
    >
    > Wilfried

    Thanks for posting back. Now some other potential
    customer for the Hanspree, will know it has a proper
    working PNP.

    Yes, some of those small computers have pretty limited
    power supplies. It might not take much additional
    load to "tip one over".

    You can find replacement power supplies, which may offer
    more power than the original one. But I understand some
    of those Dell machines, come in several different computer
    case sizes, so you may want to double check that the one
    they list here, is actually right for your machine.

    http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm

    The outer dimensions of the "Silencer 410 Dell-2" supply are
    shown here, so you'd compare these to your current power
    supply, to see if they are the same. Notice that this one
    is missing a power switch, which is probably how the
    current supply on your machine is also set up.

    http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/S41D2/diag_S41D.gif

    If you are happy with your current hardware config, I wouldn't
    waste the money on a power supply upgrade. But if you really
    wanted to add extra hardware, then something like that may
    help. Keep careful notes, of where all the power cables
    go, before swapping in the new supply.

    Enjoy,
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 26, 2007
  7. then again. . .

    I started it up just now, up comes the bios flash screen, a quick line of
    gibberish runs over the bottom of the screen. . . . no signal.

    Dell monitor, on boot clicks a few times and switches off.

    I'll have to look further. Swap the memory back to the old strips as well
    then.
    Well thats for tomorrow.

    snif.

    I'll keep you posted.

    Wilfried

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht news:fifdr9$aep$...

    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 26, 2007
  8. After trying a lot of swaps I did a deep check in the DELL fora.
    Found that I have a faulty MotherBoard with 'swollen' Capacitors next to the
    memory slot.
    No try to get a replacement MB.

    Greetings,

    Wilfried
    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 29, 2007
  9. Re: no video signal on boot-->> solved by Dell

    Talk about fast:

    I went to the Dell website, support. Send a mail stating that
    Found that I have a faulty MotherBoard with 'swollen' Capacitors next to the
    memory slot.

    Within half an hour I got a request from dell to state my adres to have an
    engineer come over to replace my mother board.

    My faith in Dell is restored!

    wilfried spierenburg, Nov 29, 2007