    someone suggest an appropriate strategy to pinpoint the problem.
    Thanks very much for any comments
    , Oct 15, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm seeking assistance to do a self diagnosis on a computer with an A-
    > socket motherboard and an Athlon 1.4 CPU. Ever since a friend
    > replaced the motherboard I have had trouble with the power on button
    > only working intermittently. I coaxed a month or so out of it by
    > using the hibernate function on WinXP. One day I started losing my
    > video output (the same as would happen if the monitor cable was loose
    > to the computer). It would come back when I wiggled the cable at the
    > point of attachment to the video card. Finally I couldn't get the
    > video to return. I returned the computer to my friend who replaced
    > the case but found the problem persisted. If I psersisted the green
    > run light and fans would come on but I could still not get any video.
    > I suspect that the computer didn't really boot as I couldn't hear the
    > hard drive spinning or see the red light flash. I'm thinking it may be
    > either the power supply gone weak or another bad motherboard. Can
    > someone suggest an appropriate strategy to pinpoint the problem.
    > Thanks very much for any comments

    If you pull the video plug loose from the back, is the socket clearly
    flush with the back plate of the computer? If the plug is having to
    "reach" to plug in, it could be the problem. But it's time to think
    about getting a new motherboard/processor.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 15, 2007

  3. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm seeking assistance to do a self diagnosis on a computer with an A-
    > socket motherboard and an Athlon 1.4 CPU. Ever since a friend
    > replaced the motherboard I have had trouble with the power on button
    > only working intermittently. I coaxed a month or so out of it by
    > using the hibernate function on WinXP. One day I started losing my
    > video output (the same as would happen if the monitor cable was loose
    > to the computer). It would come back when I wiggled the cable at the
    > point of attachment to the video card. Finally I couldn't get the
    > video to return. I returned the computer to my friend who replaced
    > the case but found the problem persisted. If I psersisted the green
    > run light and fans would come on but I could still not get any video.
    > I suspect that the computer didn't really boot as I couldn't hear the
    > hard drive spinning or see the red light flash. I'm thinking it may be
    > either the power supply gone weak or another bad motherboard. Can
    > someone suggest an appropriate strategy to pinpoint the problem.
    > Thanks very much for any comments

    First I think I'd avoid your friend for technical support in the future.
    Fobbing of a faulty motherboard to you then replacing the case in order to
    'fix' it does not sound like someone with much in the way of
    smarts/knowledge or experience.

    There are many reasons for your symptoms but the classic way to trouble
    shoot a case such as this is:

    Note*** make all connections, disconnections etc with the Mains lead
    'disconnected' *****

    * One standout symptom for a motherboard of this age is blown / leaky
    electrolytic capacitors. This Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague will give you info on how to
    recognise this problem.
    If this is not the problem.
    * Disconnect all drive cables, addin cards etc leaving the CPU, Video Card
    and one stick of RAM in the motherboard.
    (i.e. reduce it to the bare minimum to make it go, leave the front panel
    connectors on)
    * Now see if the system will start reliably.
    * If it does, replace parts until you determine the one causing the problem.
    (Note a weak power supply can mask this diagnostic technique so make sure
    you add parts in various orders to see it's not just the extra load that
    causes the problem)
    * If it still fails to start reliably substitute a 'known' good power supply
    with the same or greater wattage output & restart.
    * If it starts reliably you have found the cause (power supply)
    * If this does not locate the fault then either swap in other compatible
    RAM, CPU, Video Card parts ** or ** take the remaining plug in parts (RAM,
    CPU & Video card and have them tested in another working PC that is
    compatible with those parts.
    * If this locates the cause......
    * If this does not locate the cause then you most likely have a motherboard
    failure.

    If it proves to be a motherboard failure then it 'realistically' you can
    only substitute another motherboard of the same socket type 'that will
    handle your CPU / RAM etc'

    A couple of other 'random' items to check: (taken from actual job sheets)
    The on switch itself, substitute the reset switch for the power on switch as
    a temporary test.
    Loose screws shorting the motherboard to the case.
    Loose mains power lead.
    Tight / sticky plastic parts around the power on switch.
    Faulty Memory Card reader module (In the job I had a Tom cat had sprayed in
    the openings and the liquid had shorted the card reader chipset out)
    Scrambled CMOS, Remove the battery, reset the CMOS by shorting the pins on
    the motherboard, put in a new battery.

    Best Luck
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 16, 2007