    Thanks for your input.

    --
    Alan

    *alan*, Aug 19, 2007

  2. *alan*

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:34:57 GMT, "*alan*" <>
    wrote:

    >(Using XP Professional SP2).
    >When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with either of
    >the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update Now", I get
    >the following error message: "An error occurred while Windows was
    >synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."
    >
    >The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on, there is
    >a W32 Time error.
    >
    >My computer is not on a network.
    >
    >Anyone know what the problem might be?
    >
    >Thanks for your input.

    Firewall?

    Evan Platt, Aug 19, 2007

  3. *alan*

    meerkat Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    > (Using XP Professional SP2).
    > When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with either
    > of the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update Now", I
    > get the following error message: "An error occurred while Windows was
    > synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."
    >
    > The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on, there
    > is a W32 Time error.
    >
    > My computer is not on a network.
    >
    > Anyone know what the problem might be?
    >
    > Thanks for your input.

    Rt/click on the time on your systray,
    Adjust Date/time.
    Internet time.
    In the server bar, delete what is there, and type in
    ntp.nasa.gov Apply.
    Then do an Update now.

    meerkat, Aug 19, 2007
  4. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    >> (Using XP Professional SP2).
    >> When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with either
    >> of the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update Now", I
    >> get the following error message: "An error occurred while Windows was
    >> synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."
    >>
    >> The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on, there
    >> is a W32 Time error.
    >>
    >> My computer is not on a network.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what the problem might be?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your input.
    >>

    > Rt/click on the time on your systray,
    > Adjust Date/time.
    > Internet time.
    > In the server bar, delete what is there, and type in
    > ntp.nasa.gov Apply.
    > Then do an Update now.

    Thanks --- that did the trick. I wonder what was wrong with
    "time.windows.com" and "time.nist.gov" ? Were they just obsolete?
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Aug 19, 2007
  5. *alan*

    meerkat Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    >>> (Using XP Professional SP2).
    >>> When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with
    >>> either of the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update
    >>> Now", I get the following error message: "An error occurred while
    >>> Windows was synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."
    >>>
    >>> The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on,
    >>> there is a W32 Time error.
    >>>
    >>> My computer is not on a network.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what the problem might be?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your input.
    >>>

    >> Rt/click on the time on your systray,
    >> Adjust Date/time.
    >> Internet time.
    >> In the server bar, delete what is there, and type in
    >> ntp.nasa.gov Apply.
    >> Then do an Update now.

    > Thanks --- that did the trick. I wonder what was wrong with
    > "time.windows.com" and "time.nist.gov" ? Were they just obsolete?

    Haven`t worked for ages.
    I solved mine with time.nist.gov

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 19, 2007
  6. *alan* wrote:

    > (Using XP Professional SP2).
    > When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with either
    > of
    > the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update Now", I get
    > the following error message: "An error occurred while Windows was
    > synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."
    >
    > The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on, there
    > is a W32 Time error.
    >
    > My computer is not on a network.

    You say it is not on a network. Now, where from should it get internet time
    sync then?
    Remember, even dialup networking creates a network.

    > Anyone know what the problem might be?

    You may disable the windows time client.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 19, 2007
  7. *alan*

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:34:57 GMT, *alan* wrote:

    >(Using XP Professional SP2).
    >When using Date & Time Properties, I am unable to synchronize with either of
    >the two time servers that are listed. After clicking "Update Now", I get
    >the following error message: "An error occurred while Windows was
    >synchronizing with (time.nist.gov) (time.windows.com)."

    Use a different time server / client software, better than the W32Time.
    Don't use servers that aren't geographically close.

    NIST listing
    http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html

    NTP listings, worldwide pool of servers and country sub zones
    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

    >The Event Viewer also shows that every time I turn the computer on, there is
    >a W32 Time error.

    But the details of the event log entry are?

    >My computer is not on a network.

    If it isn't network won't work.

    >Anyone know what the problem might be?

    Firewall or another time sync client already using the port.

    >Thanks for your input.

    Me

    why?, Aug 19, 2007