    someone with/without a dell that fixed it without a re-format? Any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    ~Senturon
    Senturon, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Senturon

    Terry joyce Guest

    Senturon wrote:
    > My computer (Dell Pentium4) has recently started to deny me access to task
    > manager and regedit. Hit ctrl+alt+del and it pops up for a few seconds then
    > disappears, same thing with regedit. Running it from a file, or from the
    > command line i get the same thing. I read somewhere on a forum that this
    > was a common problem with dell's and they had to reformat in order to fix
    > it. To me that seems extreme. I dont believe it to be a virus as i'm
    > running two updated anti-virus softwares on my computer, it could be but it
    > is doubtfull. Just wondering if anyone has had this same problem, perhaps
    > someone with/without a dell that fixed it without a re-format? Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    When regular functions are blocked (MSCONFIG, Regedit) I suspect either
    spyware or viri. Really not much difference between the two. Run
    Hijackthis.exe and look for BHO (Browser Helper Objects) that you didn't
    ask for.
    Terry Joyce
    Terry joyce, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Senturon

    Senturon Guest

    > When regular functions are blocked (MSCONFIG, Regedit) I suspect either
    > spyware or viri. Really not much difference between the two. Run
    > Hijackthis.exe and look for BHO (Browser Helper Objects) that you didn't
    > ask for.
    > Terry Joyce

    I ran hijack, found only one BHO from spybot, I use spybot and ad-aware for
    spyware/adware...took a browse (while not knowing exactly what to look for,
    but not noticing anything out of the ordinary) in the logfile, didn't seem
    to be anything else...i've posted it on a hijackthis forum, perhaps they
    will find something. Thanks for the assistance tho.

    ~Senturon
    Senturon, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Senturon

    Senturon Guest

    Found a nice little tool from a link in a forum asking about the same
    problem,
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    it's mcafee's AVERT stinger, worked well and got rid of my problem. Thanks
    for the help

    ~Senturon
    Senturon, Aug 22, 2004