    While I am using the Outlook Express in XP64 commercial version, I noticed
    that I cannot use the spell check even though I have Microsoft Office 2003
    installed. Is this an issue or is it me? Thanks.
    Gulliver, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Gulliver

    John Barnes Guest

    It is a common complaint. Search the newsgroup for hundreds of postings,
    slams etc.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Gulliver

    Rick Guest

    There is no "commercial" version of Win x64; there is only an OEM version.

    Spell check does not work in Outlook Express because the one in Win x64
    is a 64-bit version and MS Office is 32-bit. They cannot talk to each
    other.

    Rick, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Gulliver

    Gulliver Guest

    Doesn't Microsoft claim that that Windows 64 can run Windows 32
    applications? Is there a lawyer in this newsgroup?

    Gulliver, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Gulliver wrote:
    > While I am using the Outlook Express in XP64 commercial version, I noticed
    > that I cannot use the spell check even though I have Microsoft Office 2003
    > installed. Is this an issue or is it me? Thanks.

    Outlook Express has never had spell-checking capabilities of its
    own. Instead, it has always relied upon the presence of other Microsoft
    applications, such as the Office Suite, Word, or the Works _Suite_
    (which includes Word, not the regular Works). Unfortunately, though,
    the 64-bit version of OE cannot use the spell-checking feature of the
    32-bit Office applications. You can either wait for 64-bit versions of
    the Office applications, seek out a third-party spell-checker that works
    with the 64-bit version of OE, or use a third-party email and news
    client, such as Thunderbird, that has its own spell-checking capability
    built-in.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry
    Bruce Chambers, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Yes, it can run 32 bit applications, some 32-bit applications use 16 bit
    installers and uninstallers which are not supported by Windows x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 4, 2006
  7. Gulliver

    Rick Guest

    Ya! But they never claimed that 32-bit programs could talk to 64-bit
    programs.

    Rick, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Gulliver

    Gulliver Guest

    Thanks Bruce. I forgot about Thuderbird which is also an excellent
    newsreader.
    Already using Firefox which is faster and by far better than the 64 bit
    version of Windows.

    -------snip---------------

    Gulliver, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Gulliver

    Gulliver Guest

    Andre, my friend, if I am not misteken, I think you already used this answer
    once (or maybe more) in previous posts. Don't repeat things like a parrot :)
    even though you have good intentions. If you look below carefully, the
    question still is: "Is there a lawyer in this newsgroup?"

    Gulliver, Feb 4, 2006
  10. But is it more compatible than IE 32 Bit running on Windows XP x64 anyway?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 4, 2006
  11. Doesn't Microsoft claim that that Windows 64 can run Windows 32
    applications? Why did you post that then???

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 4, 2006
  12. Gulliver

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, I doubt very much if Firefox is faster than IE, in fact Opera is the
    only one faster. The only thing that Firefox has over IE is tabs and that
    will change one IE7 is fully out. Please read here
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html to debunk your
    myths.....
    Chris C

    ChrisC, Feb 5, 2006