    why is there no sound on most w3eb pages with firefox 1.06?
    what plug in would i need and how do i get it and install it.
    i'm new to this
    jstech, Aug 2, 2005

  2. jstech

    Jedi Fans Guest

    jstech wrote:
    > why is there no sound on most w3eb pages with firefox 1.06?
    > what plug in would i need and how do i get it and install it.
    > i'm new to this

    operating system?
    Jedi Fans, Aug 2, 2005

  3. jstech

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:08:20 -0400, in message
     <EoBHe.14911$>, jstech wrote:

    > why is there no sound on most w3eb pages with firefox 1.06?
    > what plug in would i need and how do i get it and install it.
    > i'm new to this

    I don't know what are "most pages" to you. You may visit
    completely different sorts of web pages to what I visit.

    Your no sound could be any one of several things.
    Let us run some tests to find out which.

    #1. Does this web page play music?

    http://www.wtv-zone.com/bluefox/bgsound.html

    If so, you already have a plug-in for MIDI files.
    Go on to test #2.

    If it does not, you may need to install and configure
    a browser plug-in for playing music files.

    1.1 Plug-ins can be downloaded from
    (a) http://plugins.netscape.com/ (choices are
    QuickTime or RealPlayer).
    (b) http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html
    (choices are QuickTime, RealPlayer, or
    Windows Media Player).

    Help for installing plug-ins is available from
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html .

    1.2 You can see which browser plug-ins you already have
    installed, by entering the following into Firefox's
    URL bar:

    about:plugins

    Page #1 must play music in Firefox before you go on to tests #2 or #3 below.

    #2. Does this web page play music?

    http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/backmusic.shtml

    If #1 plays music but #2 does not, then you need to
    turn on Javascript in Firefox.

    Tools -> Options -> Web Features
    [x] Enable Javascript

    Do not confuse "Enable Java" with "Enable Javascript".
    Java and Javascript are two totally different things.

    If you have music playing in #1 and #2, bit you still have another
    page which doesn't play in Firefox but does in IE, then post back
    with the URL of the site.

    The page could be using code specific to IE, such as

    #3 Using the BGSOUND tag

    For example, http://www.webmaster.crevier.org/tags/BGSOUND1.html

    If you still don't get sound after this, post a couple of URLs
    of pages where you don't get sound in Firefox.

    HTH HAND

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph

    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    Ralph Fox, Aug 2, 2005
  4. jstech

    jstech Guest

    xp pro sp1