    of a faulty unit? I can't believe it's a design omission!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 24, 2011

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:03:57 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > My recent birthday present from my son was a new camera, a Canon Ixus
    > 220HS, replacing my old Canon Ixus 60. Yesterday I used its movie facility
    > for the first time. But I was sorely disappointed to find that when I
    > played back the movies, there was no sound.
    >
    > Anyone else here have this camera please and can confirm this is evidence
    > of a faulty unit? I can't believe it's a design omission!

    Make sure you do not cover the tiny microphone holes
    with your fingers, easily done on a lot of cameras.
    Irwell, Mar 24, 2011

  3. Irwell <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:03:57 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> My recent birthday present from my son was a new camera, a Canon Ixus
    >> 220HS, replacing my old Canon Ixus 60. Yesterday I used its movie facility
    >> for the first time. But I was sorely disappointed to find that when I
    >> played back the movies, there was no sound.
    >>
    >> Anyone else here have this camera please and can confirm this is evidence
    >> of a faulty unit? I can't believe it's a design omission!

    >Make sure you do not cover the tiny microphone holes
    >with your fingers, easily done on a lot of cameras.

    Thanks, but the sound was recorded OK. On getting back to my PC tonight
    and uploading the clips, they played fine.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 24, 2011
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Mike Guest

    On 24/03/2011 3:03 PM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > My recent birthday present from my son was a new camera, a Canon Ixus
    > 220HS, replacing my old Canon Ixus 60. Yesterday I used its movie facility
    > for the first time. But I was sorely disappointed to find that when I
    > played back the movies, there was no sound.
    >
    > Anyone else here have this camera please and can confirm this is evidence
    > of a faulty unit? I can't believe it's a design omission!

    I had a friend with a similar problem with her Samsung camera. It needed
    the correct codex files.

    Now do you hear the sound when playing back in the camera? Then the
    issue is in your computer. Check for software updates for the
    application that you use to playback.

    The other suggestions regarding not covering the microphone etc are
    valid. But run the CD that came with the camera, uninstall and reinstall
    if you did run it, perhaps some old drivers conflicted with new ones.
    Mike, Mar 25, 2011
  5. Better Info <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:44:24 -0400, Mike <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 24/03/2011 3:03 PM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> My recent birthday present from my son was a new camera, a Canon Ixus
    >>> 220HS, replacing my old Canon Ixus 60. Yesterday I used its movie facility
    >>> for the first time. But I was sorely disappointed to find that when I
    >>> played back the movies, there was no sound.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else here have this camera please and can confirm this is evidence
    >>> of a faulty unit? I can't believe it's a design omission!
    >>>

    >>I had a friend with a similar problem with her Samsung camera. It needed
    >>the correct codex files.
    >>
    >>Now do you hear the sound when playing back in the camera? Then the
    >>issue is in your computer. Check for software updates for the
    >>application that you use to playback.
    >>
    >>The other suggestions regarding not covering the microphone etc are
    >>valid. But run the CD that came with the camera, uninstall and reinstall
    >>if you did run it, perhaps some old drivers conflicted with new ones.
    >>

    >The problem had been solved (sort of), but in the event there is ever a
    >codec conflict or you just want to analyze some multimedia file to see what
    >codecs had been used to create that file, then run GSpot on the file.
    >
    >http://gspot.headbands.com/
    >
    >As well as testing various codec-compatibilities with all those on your
    >system to help you find better matches, it also has an excellent feature to
    >allow you to set all codecs' priorities (merit level) or
    >un-register/re-register them as needed.
    >
    >It has become an invaluable tool when some damn DVD or HDTV viewer software
    >has installed its own demo codecs, then forever showing some demo-graphic
    >on all your viewers' screens. It gives you a simple way to find and disable
    >them to revert back to your non-demo, "perfectly fine until those
    >PC-hijacking assholes came along", codecs.

    Thanks for the various replies, but maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought.
    As I said in my reply to Irwell, the sound is recorded on the camera and
    plays back on the PC when downloaded.

    It's on the CAMERA playback that there's no sound, only video.

    I'm asking for a reply from another owner confirming that this problem
    doesn't arise on theirs, so that I can be 100% sure this is not an
    incredible design limitation. Settings for 'Sound options...' include
    Start-up
    Operation
    Selftimer
    Shutter

    with no explicit reference to 'playback' or 'review'.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 25, 2011
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Mar 25, 8:32 am, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > Better Info <> wrote:

    > >>I had a friend with a similar problem with her Samsung camera. It needed
    > >>the correct codex files.

    > >>Now do you hear the sound when playing back in the camera? Then the
    > >>issue is in your computer. Check for software updates for the
    > >>application that you use to playback.

    > >>The other suggestions regarding not covering the microphone etc are
    > >>valid. But run the CD that came with the camera, uninstall and reinstall
    > >>if you did run it, perhaps some old drivers conflicted with new ones.

    > >The problem had been solved (sort of), but in the event there is ever a
    > >codec conflict or you just want to analyze some multimedia file to see what
    > >codecs had been used to create that file, then run GSpot on the file.

    > >http://gspot.headbands.com/

    > >As well as testing various codec-compatibilities with all those on your
    > >system to help you find better matches, it also has an excellent featureto
    > >allow you to set all codecs' priorities (merit level) or
    > >un-register/re-register them as needed.

    > >It has become an invaluable tool when some damn DVD or HDTV viewer software
    > >has installed its own demo codecs, then forever showing some demo-graphic
    > >on all your viewers' screens. It gives you a simple way to find and disable
    > >them to revert back to your non-demo, "perfectly fine until those
    > >PC-hijacking assholes came along", codecs.

    > Thanks for the various replies, but maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought.
    > As I said in my reply to Irwell, the sound is recorded on the camera and
    > plays back on the PC when downloaded.
    >
    > It's on the CAMERA playback that there's no sound, only video.
    >
    > I'm asking for a reply from another owner confirming that this problem
    > doesn't arise on theirs, so that I can be 100% sure this is not an
    > incredible design limitation.  Settings for 'Sound options...' include
    > Start-up
    > Operation
    > Selftimer
    > Shutter
    >
    > with no explicit reference to 'playback' or 'review'.

    I had a canon s70 and was missing sound until I realised that either I
    muted
    the shutter click and startups sounds and the movies were muted too
    or it could have been
    that I turned the volume way down, but by fiddling with something I
    got the sound back,
    but can;t exactly remember what. %-}

    Whisky-dave, Mar 25, 2011
  7. Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    >On Mar 25, 8:32 am, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >> Better Info <> wrote:

    >> >The problem had been solved (sort of), but in the event there is ever a
    >> >codec conflict or you just want to analyze some multimedia file to see what
    >> >codecs had been used to create that file, then run GSpot on the file.

    >> >http://gspot.headbands.com/

    >> >As well as testing various codec-compatibilities with all those on your
    >> >system to help you find better matches, it also has an excellent feature to
    >> >allow you to set all codecs' priorities (merit level) or
    >> >un-register/re-register them as needed.

    >> >It has become an invaluable tool when some damn DVD or HDTV viewer software
    >> >has installed its own demo codecs, then forever showing some demo-graphic
    >> >on all your viewers' screens. It gives you a simple way to find and disable
    >> >them to revert back to your non-demo, "perfectly fine until those
    >> >PC-hijacking assholes came along", codecs.

    >> Thanks for the various replies, but maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought.
    >> As I said in my reply to Irwell, the sound is recorded on the camera and
    >> plays back on the PC when downloaded.
    >>
    >> It's on the CAMERA playback that there's no sound, only video.
    >>
    >> I'm asking for a reply from another owner confirming that this problem
    >> doesn't arise on theirs, so that I can be 100% sure this is not an
    >> incredible design limitation.  Settings for 'Sound options...' include
    >> Start-up
    >> Operation
    >> Selftimer
    >> Shutter
    >>
    >> with no explicit reference to 'playback' or 'review'.

    >I had a canon s70 and was missing sound until I realised that either I
    >muted
    >the shutter click and startups sounds and the movies were muted too
    >or it could have been
    >that I turned the volume way down, but by fiddling with something I
    >got the sound back,
    >but can;t exactly remember what. %-}

    Thanks. All four sounds as listed are working fine. Just not movie
    playback.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 25, 2011
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Mike Guest

    On 25/03/2011 4:32 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > It's on the CAMERA playback that there's no sound, only video.
    >
    > I'm asking for a reply from another owner confirming that this problem
    > doesn't arise on theirs, so that I can be 100% sure this is not an
    > incredible design limitation. Settings for 'Sound options...' include
    > Start-up
    > Operation
    > Selftimer
    > Shutter
    >
    > with no explicit reference to 'playback' or 'review'.

    Buried inside Canon camera setup menu is a series of volume controls,
    camera sounds (like shutter clicks) and others, I wonder if the speaker
    volume is muted?
    Mike, Mar 25, 2011
  9. Mike <> wrote:

    >On 25/03/2011 4:32 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >> It's on the CAMERA playback that there's no sound, only video.
    >>
    >> I'm asking for a reply from another owner confirming that this problem
    >> doesn't arise on theirs, so that I can be 100% sure this is not an
    >> incredible design limitation. Settings for 'Sound options...' include
    >> Start-up
    >> Operation
    >> Selftimer
    >> Shutter
    >>
    >> with no explicit reference to 'playback' or 'review'.
    >>

    >Buried inside Canon camera setup menu is a series of volume controls,
    >camera sounds (like shutter clicks) and others, I wonder if the speaker
    >volume is muted?

    See my earlier post.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 25, 2011
  10. Terry Pinnell

    John Turco Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

> [...]

    <edited for brevity>

    > > I had a canon s70 and was missing sound until I realised that either I
    > > muted the shutter click and startups sounds and the movies were muted
    > > too or it could have been that I turned the volume way down, but by
    > > fiddling with something I got the sound back, >but can;t exactly remember
    > > what. %-}

    > Thanks. All four sounds as listed are working fine. Just not movie playback.

    I was going to suggest that your Canon "Ixus 220HS" lacks a built-in speaker
    (as my Kodak "C182" does).

    If the camera's own "sounds as listed are working fine" -- then, I guess my
    idea is wrong.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 31, 2011
  11. Terry Pinnell

    libengazi

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Hi Terry,
    I have HS 220 and same problem. Did you find out if the camera lacks this option or its a faulty item?
    Regards,
    Lubo
    libengazi, Mar 30, 2012
  12. Terry Pinnell

    ak120430

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    In case anyone is still puzzled about this...

    ...I initially thought the same, and after messing about for a while I verified that my Canon Ixus 220HS DOES play sound when previewing a video in-camera. However, it wasn't until later did I discover that to control the volume, you simply have to press the "up" and "down" buttons (surrounding the "FUNC/SET" button). Guess where I found that info? Yes, in the manual!
    ak120430, Apr 30, 2012