    Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.

    TIA
    John

    Ragnar, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Ragnar

    Neil Green Guest

    "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    news:8Pp6k.28305$2...
    > The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT
    > when I play DVDs although everything runs OK there
    > is no sound.
    > I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real
    > Player. Nothing is muted out in Volume Control.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
    >
    > TIA
    > John

    You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
    Try this one:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

    Neil Green, Jun 19, 2008

  3. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >> The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT when I play DVDs
    >> although everything runs OK there is no sound.
    >> I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real Player. Nothing is muted
    >> out in Volume Control.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> John

    > You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
    > Try this one:
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

    Thanks Neil, that worked fine. What I can't figure out is why my other
    computer runs DVDs perfectly without this codec, when all the software is
    exactly the same.

    R.

    Ragnar, Jun 19, 2008
  4. Ragnar

    Neil Green Guest

    "Ragnar" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >>> The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT
    >>> when I play DVDs although everything runs OK there
    >>> is no sound.
    >>> I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real
    >>> Player. Nothing is muted out in Volume Control.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>> Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> John

    >> You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
    >> Try this one:
    >> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
    >>

    > Thanks Neil, that worked fine. What I can't figure
    > out is why my other computer runs DVDs perfectly
    > without this codec, when all the software is
    > exactly the same.
    >
    > R.

    It's obviously not.

    Neil Green, Jun 19, 2008