    Many thanks

    --
    JB

    SeventhStranger, Jul 18, 2004

  2. SeventhStranger

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "SeventhStranger" <> wrote in
    news:cqrKc.2027$:

    > Everything is working fine, however, there is no sound. Could this
    > just be a settings issue or could it be that the soundcard is not
    > compatible with XP?

    Amazingly, I don't know what type of sound card is in your mother in law's
    computer. If I knew, I may be able to tell you if it is compatible. On
    second thought, before you decided to upgrade to XP, you certainly did
    basic fact checking like "Does the computer meet the minimum
    requirements?" and "Is the hardware compatible with this completely new and
    different OS?", right?

    Jim Berwick, Jul 18, 2004

  3. SeventhStranger

    Tim Guest

    SeventhStranger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded my mother-in-law's PC from Windows ME to Win XP
    > Home.
    >
    > Everything is working fine, however, there is no sound. Could this
    > just be a settings issue or could it be that the soundcard is not
    > compatible with XP?

    Check for an XP driver on the manufacturers website. The old ME driver
    won't run under XP and there mightn't have been a Microsoft one
    included.

    Tim, Jul 18, 2004
  4. SeventhStranger

    JJO Guest

    "SeventhStranger" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded my mother-in-law's PC from Windows ME to Win XP Home.
    >
    > Everything is working fine, however, there is no sound. Could this just
    > be
    > a settings issue or could it be that the soundcard is not compatible with
    > XP?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > --
    > JB

    As stated, this is a driver issue and all you need is the correct driver.
    What make and model sound card is it? Is this a Dell, Compaq, HP, etc? If so
    then with the model number you should be able to find the driver at the
    manufacturer's web site. If the system was running ME then it should be able
    to run XP. Of course I am assuming, always dangerous, that the system has
    enough memory and CPU speed to run XP.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Jul 18, 2004
  5. SeventhStranger

    Nobody Here Guest

    In most cases, if you go to the Windows Update site and check for updates,
    the new driver will be there. I do it all the time.

    Nobody Here, Jul 18, 2004
  6. SeventhStranger

    ProfGene Guest

    Look in control panel to see if you have any yellow marks for the sound
    drivers. If there are no yellow marks remove the sound drivers and let XP
    recognize them and reinstall the drivers. If you have yellow marks find out
    why. Also before you reinstall the sound drivers check the volume controls
    to make sure the volume is not too low or muted.

    ProfGene, Jul 18, 2004
  7. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:53:51 -0400, "JJO" <> wrote:

    >As stated, this is a driver issue and all you need is the correct driver.
    >What make and model sound card is it? Is this a Dell, Compaq, HP, etc? If so
    >then with the model number you should be able to find the driver at the
    >manufacturer's web site. If the system was running ME then it should be able
    >to run XP. Of course I am assuming, always dangerous, that the system has
    >enough memory and CPU speed to run XP.

    Actually, not enough facts are given to assume its necessarily a
    driver issue, though I'll agree that its got a 85% chance that it is.
    There has been several times when my Sound Blaster Live would all the
    suddenly stop working for several days, then later find that a service
    in windows (I think it was Windows Audio) had stopped. Restarting the
    service instantly returned the sound....

    John H. Guillory, Jul 18, 2004
  8. SeventhStranger

    JJO Guest

    You could be right but since it stopped working with the XP new install, I
    have to assume that it has never worked under XP. Of course the key would be
    if there shows to be a problem in Device Manager. The OP never stated
    whether that was the case.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Jul 18, 2004
  9. SeventhStranger

    Deano Plenty Guest

    Read his question again, he's talking about a sound card driver not a dll
    file for the operating system.
    "Nobody Here" <> wrote in message
    > In most cases, if you go to the Windows Update site and check for updates,
    > the new driver will be there. I do it all the time.
    >

    > "JJO" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "SeventhStranger" <> wrote in

    message

    Deano Plenty, Jul 18, 2004