no sound from the speakers of a Dell Optiplex GX280 machine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX280 running Win XP professional 2002.
    But, there is no sound coming from the speakers.

    I am opening some music files using Windows media player which open
    fine, but there is no sound from the speakers. They are connected to
    the power supply and the volume is tuned to maximum on them. I guess
    the green wire from the speakers is going to the proper green port of
    CPU, though I tested it with the blue and light red ports too to see
    if it should go there.

    Windows Device Manager shows the sound drivers are present properly.
    Still, I went to
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...stemID=PLX_GX280&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    and installed the audio drivers. I also installed the chipset drivers
    and restarted it, but it did not help.

    Motherboard Chipset is Intel Grantsdale-G i915G.

    More details follow

    Windows Audio

    Device Identifier Device Description
    midi-out.0 0001 0066 Creative SoundFont Synth
    midi-out.1 0001 0066 Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    mixer.0 0001 0068 Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    wave-in.0 0001 0065 Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    wave-out.0 0001 0064 Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

    PCI / PnP Audio

    Device Description Type
    Creative SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card PCI

    [ Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ]

    DirectSound Device Properties:
    Device Description Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    Driver Module P17.sys
    Primary Buffers 1
    Min / Max Secondary Buffers Sample Rate 4000 / 96000 Hz
    Primary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
    Secondary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
    Total / Free Sound Buffers 64 / 63
    Total / Free Static Sound Buffers 64 / 63
    Total / Free Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 63
    Total / Free 3D Sound Buffers 64 / 63
    Total / Free 3D Static Sound Buffers 64 / 63
    Total / Free 3D Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 63

    DirectSound Device Features:
    Certified Driver Yes
    Emulated Device No
    Precise Sample Rate Supported
    DirectSound3D Supported
    Creative EAX 1.0 Supported
    Creative EAX 2.0 Supported
    Creative EAX 3.0 Supported

    DirectSound Device Features:
    Certified Driver Yes
    Emulated Device No
    Precise Sample Rate Supported
    DirectSound3D Supported
    Creative EAX 1.0 Supported
    Creative EAX 2.0 Supported
    Creative EAX 3.0 Supported

    [ Sound, video and game controllers / Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ]

    Device Properties:
    Driver Description Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    Driver Date 6/9/2004
    Driver Version 5.12.1.315
    Driver Provider Creative
    INF File oem2.inf

    Location Information PCI bus 4, device 2, function 0
    PCI Device Creative SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card

    I have checked the sound and devices in the control panel, and it says
    my audio/sound is working fine or properly. there's no problem in
    that, the only issue is, there is still no sound playing even though i
    have already maxed out the volume and it is not muted. The audio
    setting in the BIOS is on but still there is no sound.

    Soundmax is default audio.

    I went to Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Component
    Services / a separate window opens – in left pane I click Services
    (Local) from the tree and Scroll down to Windows Audio service. It is
    set to automatic and is running.

    Installed the Intel chipset driver, restarted the machine and then
    installed audio driver again, but it did not help.

    The last option is speakers might be malfunctioning. But, I don't have
    any replacement speakers to test the case of hardware failure of
    speakers.

    Can someone please clarify where the issue might be and what more
    steps can I take to troubleshoot this?

    Thanks
    s, Nov 13, 2009

  2. s

    chuckcar Guest

    s <> wrote in

    chuckcar, Nov 13, 2009

  3. s

    softnfurry Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > that, the only issue is, there is still no sound playing even though i
    > have already maxed out the volume and it is not muted. The audio
    > setting in the BIOS is on but still there is no sound.
    >
    > Soundmax is default audio.
    >
    > I went to Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Component
    > Services / a separate window opens – in left pane I click Services
    > (Local) from the tree and Scroll down to Windows Audio service. It is
    > set to automatic and is running.
    >
    > Installed the Intel chipset driver, restarted the machine and then
    > installed audio driver again, but it did not help.
    >
    > The last option is speakers might be malfunctioning. But, I don't have
    > any replacement speakers to test the case of hardware failure of
    > speakers.
    >
    > Can someone please clarify where the issue might be and what more

    Common sense and a quick google says....

    Damaged or incompatible Sound Files?

    start/programs/accessories/entertainment/volume control. Click options and
    properties. Be sure all desired check boxes are selected.

    Set the mixer in the task bar to coincide with your speaker configuration?

    Open device manager and delete/uninstall any sound cards you might have
    installed, reboot and let WINDOWS install the drivers or do a search for
    "New Hardware"

    Try IExplorer options "advanced " and uncheck "play sounds in a webpage"

    Go to windows device manager, right click on your sound device and select
    disable. After that is finished. wait for a second or two or maybe a little
    more and right click and select enable.

    Go to multimedia in control panel. Is the CORRECT playback device selected?
    softnfurry, Nov 13, 2009
  4. s

    softnfurry Guest

    On Re Reading, you might try turning OFF the Bios setting for Audio if you
    have both onboard sound AND a PCI soundcard....
    softnfurry, Nov 13, 2009
  5. s

    Tony Guest

    http://www.nokiasoftware.net/pc-applications/14867-50000-universal-drivers-windows-xp.html

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job for
    potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of
    understandability

    Tony, Nov 13, 2009
  6. s

    Tony Guest

    The file could not be found. Please check the download link.

    Too bad!!

    Tony, Nov 13, 2009
  7. s

    Tony Guest

    http://www.newwebstar.com/programas/12294-50000-universal-drivers-para-windows-xp.html

    Tony, Nov 13, 2009
  8. s

    Grinder Guest

    s wrote:
    > The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX280 running Win XP professional 2002.
    > But, there is no sound coming from the speakers.

    There's an option for some sound cards that would occasionally trip me
    up: "Digital Output Only" would be checked and I would get no output,
    surprisingly, from the analog port.

    1) Right-click speaker icon in the systray (notification area) and pick
    "Open Volume Control" from the popup menu.

    2) Select "Advanced Controls" from the Options menu. An "Advanced"
    button will appear on the Play Control.

    3) Click the "Advanced" button and a dialog will appear with a "Digital
    Output Only" checkbox near the bottom of the window.

    If you have a different enough audio card from the moldy Gateway I'm
    using to prepare the prescription, you may not have those options. If I
    recall correctly, the audio card in that machine is an SB Live!
    Grinder, Nov 13, 2009
  9. s

    s Guest

    On Nov 13, 1:00 am, "nobody >" <> wrote:
    > s wrote:
    > > The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX280 running Win XP professional 2002.
    > > But, there is no sound coming from the speakers.

    > > I am opening some music files using Windows media player which open
    > > fine, but there is no sound from the speakers. They are connected to
    > > the power supply and the volume is tuned to maximum on them. I guess
    > > the green wire from the speakers is going to the proper green port of
    > > CPU, though I tested it with the blue and light red ports too to see
    > > if it should go there.

    > Snipped a bunch but put this back in for reference
    >
    > PCI / PnP Audio
    >
    >                 Device Description      Type
    >                 Creative SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card     PCI
    >
    > I have the same card...
    >

    > > The last option is speakers might be malfunctioning. But, I don't have
    > > any replacement speakers to test the case of hardware failure of
    > > speakers.

    > > Can someone please clarify where the issue might be and what more
    > > steps can I take to troubleshoot this?

    > > Thanks

    > The  green jack is the right one.
    >
    > Color   Function
    >         Pink    Analog microphone input.
    >         Light blue      Analog line level input.
    >         Lime green      Analog line level output for the main stereo
    >                   signal (front speakers or headphones)..
    >         Black   Analog line level output for rear speakers.
    >         Silver  Analog line level output for side speakers.
    >         Orange  S/PDIF digital output (sometimes used as an analog line
    > output for a center and/or subwoofer speaker instead)
    >
    > One big question at first...
    > Is the onboard "AC97, Sound Blaster emulation" sound disabled in the
    > BIOS? If the CMOS battery is  flaky, it may have gotten enabled.
    > (and by the same token, you are plugging into the green jack of the SB
    > Live! card and not the "motherboard audio" jack...)

    I went into BIOS, disabled the on board sound card, came to Windows
    and tried the speakers(the sound blaster device driver was enabled),
    it did not work. Went back to BIOS, enabled the
    on board soundcard, disabled the driver for Soundblaster Live card,
    restarted
    Windows and I got sound. I did not understand that part.
    If I am plugging into the green jack of the sound blaster live card
    how come I got sound after I disabled the device driver for the sound
    blaster
    live card? Can you please clarify?

    > Sorry if I went too basic on you, but I've had the same problems and
    > spent hours on the deep stuff only to find I'd skipped the little problem..

    Going too basic is helpful to most posters. Thanks again to you
    and all who responded.
    s, Nov 14, 2009