    the correct one although it did accept it and get rid of the yellow marks
    that were originally there.

    Thanks guys.

    Sam, Mar 29, 2005

  2. "Sam" <> wrote in message
    news:EVd2e.21817$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I finally found a driver for a dial up modem but when trying to connect to
    > the internet there is no sound comming from the speakers and so can't
    > connect. In device manager there are no conflicts etc... The COM port is
    > set to com 1 and the modem is set to com 3 is this ok? They are the
    > computers default settings. If this is not ok what ports should they be
    > on?
    > Although there are no yellow marks by the modem in device manager could
    > the
    > wrong driver be installed? I'm not entirley sure the driver I installed
    > was
    > the correct one although it did accept it and get rid of the yellow marks
    > that were originally there.
    >
    > Thanks guys.

    The sound to your speakers can be turned off. The sound has no bearing on
    the modem connecting to your server. If the modem is not connecting, does
    the dialup connection indicate that there is a problem? Right click your
    connection and select the properties. Under the modem tab, check
    configuration and you should find a box to check on/off to have the modum
    use the speakers.

    If you decide the driver is at fault, under the device manager, roll back
    the driver for your modum.

    Barney \(Ole\), Mar 29, 2005

  3. Sam

    °Mike° Guest

    In <EVd2e.21817$>,
    Sam took 15 lines to utter:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I finally found a driver for a dial up modem but when trying to connect to
    >the internet there is no sound comming from the speakers

    From your speakers? Why would there be?

    >and so can't connect.

    This doesn't make sense. Modem sound and connectivity have no
    bearing on each other.

    >In device manager there are no conflicts etc... The COM port is
    >set to com 1 and the modem is set to com 3 is this ok?

    Yes, the modem will be on a shared port.

    <snip>
    >Although there are no yellow marks by the modem in device manager
    >could the wrong driver be installed? I'm not entirley sure the driver I
    >installed was the correct one although it did accept it and get rid of
    >the yellow marks that were originally there.

    If the driver was installed with Windows searching for it, you
    can be pretty sure that it's either the correct driver or a compatible
    driver.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Sam wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I finally found a driver for a dial up modem but when trying to connect to
    > the internet there is no sound comming from the speakers and so can't
    > connect. In device manager there are no conflicts etc... The COM port is

    Your speakers don't connect to the internet; you don't need sound at
    your speakers.

    > set to com 1 and the modem is set to com 3 is this ok? They are the

    Is plugging your toaster into a water faucet okay?

    > computers default settings. If this is not ok what ports should they be on?

    The same one.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Sam

    desoto Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 17:55:22 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Sam wrote:
    >> Hi,

    >> I finally found a driver for a dial up modem but when trying to connect to
    >> the internet there is no sound comming from the speakers and so can't
    >> connect. In device manager there are no conflicts etc... The COM port is

    >Your speakers don't connect to the internet; you don't need sound at
    >your speakers.
    >
    >> set to com 1 and the modem is set to com 3 is this ok? They are the

    >Is plugging your toaster into a water faucet okay?
    >
    >> computers default settings. If this is not ok what ports should they be on?

    >The same one.

    ooh goin **** off wi' yer smartass replies...
    I bet your kids hate you.

    desoto, Mar 30, 2005
  6. desoto wrote:
    > On 29 Mar 2005 17:55:22 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>Sam wrote:
    >>> Hi,

    >>> I finally found a driver for a dial up modem but when trying to connect to
    >>> the internet there is no sound comming from the speakers and so can't
    >>> connect. In device manager there are no conflicts etc... The COM port is

    >>Your speakers don't connect to the internet; you don't need sound at
    >>your speakers.

    >>> set to com 1 and the modem is set to com 3 is this ok? They are the

    >>Is plugging your toaster into a water faucet okay?

    >>> computers default settings. If this is not ok what ports should they be on?

    >>The same one.

    > ooh goin **** off wi' yer smartass replies...
    > I bet your kids hate you.

    How is my advice unsound?