No sound driver after Win XP install

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by AmyGG, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. AmyGG

    AmyGG Guest

    My new laptop came with Windows Vista. I have reinstalled this with
    WinXP SP2. Everything is working ok apart from the sound. I can hear a
    loud beep when a windows warning/question/popup appears. However, I
    cannot play any music. I did not have this problem before installing
    WinXP.

    When I go to Control Panal > Sounds & Audio Devices, the first section
    says "No Audio Device" and all options for changing sound are greyed
    out.

    Under Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, the
    following are listed:
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

    For each of the above, I have tried to update the driver but get the
    message "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware
    than the software you currently have installed"

    AmyGG, Dec 11, 2007

  2. AmyGG

    VanguardLH Guest

    "AmyGG" wrote in message
    > My new laptop came with Windows Vista. I have reinstalled this with
    > WinXP SP2. Everything is working ok apart from the sound. I can hear
    > loud beep when a windows warning/question/popup appears. However, I
    > cannot play any music. I did not have this problem before installing
    > WinXP.

    <snip>

    Go get the model-specific drivers from the web site of whomever is the
    manufacturer of your laptop.

    VanguardLH, Dec 11, 2007

  3. AmyGG

    SoundBytes Guest

    "AmyGG" <> wrote in message
    > My new laptop came with Windows Vista. I have reinstalled this with
    > WinXP SP2. Everything is working ok apart from the sound. I can hear a
    > loud beep when a windows warning/question/popup appears. However, I
    > cannot play any music. I did not have this problem before installing
    > WinXP.
    >
    > When I go to Control Panal > Sounds & Audio Devices, the first section
    > says "No Audio Device" and all options for changing sound are greyed
    > out.
    >
    > Under Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, the
    > following are listed:
    > Audio Codecs
    > Legacy Audio Drivers
    > Legacy Video Capture Devices
    > Media Control Devices
    > Video Codecs
    >
    > For each of the above, I have tried to update the driver but get the
    > message "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware
    > than the software you currently have installed"

    **Then go to the web site of whoever (Acer, Dell, Toshiba, whoever) made the
    laptop and download the audio
    drivers, install and listen to your music.......**

    SoundBytes, Dec 11, 2007
  4. AmyGG

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:36:49 -0800 (PST), AmyGG
    <> wrote:

    >My new laptop came with Windows Vista. I have reinstalled this with
    >WinXP SP2. Everything is working ok apart from the sound. I can hear a
    >loud beep when a windows warning/question/popup appears. However, I
    >cannot play any music. I did not have this problem before installing
    >WinXP.
    >
    >When I go to Control Panal > Sounds & Audio Devices, the first section
    >says "No Audio Device" and all options for changing sound are greyed
    >out.
    >
    >Under Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, the
    >following are listed:
    > Audio Codecs
    > Legacy Audio Drivers
    > Legacy Video Capture Devices
    > Media Control Devices
    > Video Codecs
    >
    >For each of the above, I have tried to update the driver but get the
    >message "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware
    >than the software you currently have installed"

    You need to install the sound drivers for your card. Which is why it
    says "no audio device". The drivers listed are generic types. Find out
    which card you have and get the drivers from the website or insert the
    vista disk and try there.

    Why do you want to scrap vista without even giving it a try?
    You've been brainwashed by all those Mac (mac vs pc) commercials
    right?
    Then in that case, you should still be using windows 3.1. Heaven
    forbid we should want to upgrade to something newer and better.
    Hell, they said the same thing about XP, 2k, and even 98se. So what
    else is new?

    richard, Dec 11, 2007
  5. AmyGG

    old man Guest

    Oh dear, You should first have checked your laptop manu.site for winxp
    drivers specific to your model.

    old man, Dec 11, 2007
  6. AmyGG

    AmyGG Guest

    On 11 Dec, 18:13, "SoundBytes" <> wrote:
    > "AmyGG" <> wrote in message

    > > My new laptop came with Windows Vista. I have reinstalled this with
    > > WinXP SP2. Everything is working ok apart from the sound. I can hear a
    > > loud beep when a windows warning/question/popup appears. However, I
    > > cannot play any music. I did not have this problem before installing
    > > WinXP.

    > > When I go to Control Panal > Sounds & Audio Devices, the first section
    > > says "No Audio Device" and all options for changing sound are greyed
    > > out.

    > > Under Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, the
    > > following are listed:
    > > Audio Codecs
    > > Legacy Audio Drivers
    > > Legacy Video Capture Devices
    > > Media Control Devices
    > > Video Codecs

    > > For each of the above, I have tried to update the driver but get the
    > > message "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware
    > > than the software you currently have installed"

    > **Then go to the web site of whoever (Acer, Dell, Toshiba, whoever) made the
    > laptop and download the audio
    > drivers, install and listen to your music.......**

    Thanks all. I have downloaded the correct Driver from the laptop
    manufacturer's website.

    AmyGG, Dec 11, 2007
  7. AmyGG

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >Why do you want to scrap vista without even giving it a try?

    Didn't know to install the sound drivers, vista would of been a
    nightmare.

    --

    "They're not booing, they're cheering Fuku! Fuku!"
    http://tinyurl.com/2wxxwb

    , Dec 12, 2007